Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 19th Jul 19, 9:35 AM
    • 103Posts
    • 29Thanks
    emperorstevee
    I really need advice with this student debt
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:35 AM
    I really need advice with this student debt 19th Jul 19 at 9:35 AM
    I'm going to be completely honest and open with everyone here, so you best understand my situation.

I was born with a mildly severe physical abnormality which was partly treated through surgery as a child, but there are still issues. Naturally, I developed self esteem issues as in my mid teens and it developed into a full blown self hatred and I just couldn't focus on anything. I had aspirations to be a doctor, and up until my bad patch, my grades suggested I would make it. So, I couldn't finish my a levels. I spent some time in supported living, on the then ESA. I moved out I think 2015/2016 still on ESA. My confidence was still horrible, I was scared to get a job. I had an experience gap, I was mentally ill and I wasn't pursuing a career I wanted. I then met my fiancee, who left me two weeks ago for an old school friend I introduced her to a few months ago.

I wanted to get some sort of semblence of a medical career back on track and to be able to support my ex partner. I was recommended an access course and I went to college to enquire about it. I was disheartened by the fact that my course fees would not be covered by my universal credit, as they were in the past. I didn't want to get into a situation where I start the course, my mental health becoming to much of a burden, resulting in me dropping out with a portion of a student loan to pay back. However, the course leader kept calling me (3 times) to push me to do the course. Part of me wanted to do it, I wanted to get into uni to do nursing. I finally accepted and took out the loan. But I was struggling from day one.

I stated in my application form that I suffer from mental health difficulties but I was never approached for help. And then in the most horrible turn of events - my grandma died, my mum became hospitalised with permanent brain damage, my brother developed depressionm and my partner attempted suicide which landed in hospital, after spending time with an abusive neighbour who was harassing me on top of all that. And the college was trying to make the course as needlessly complicated as possible to make it feel like it had the substance it lacked. Course work deadlines changing literally an hour before the agreed time, use of needless online computer programs for a biology assignment. I just wanted to push myself through science work and finally get that degree. At one point the college had to book me a taxi to get me to my gp to sort out anti depressants.

I'm now struggling with my fiancee of two years having left me for my friend, my mental illness and now this student loan. is there some sort of exceptional circumstance clause I could use to at the very least reduce the student loan fees? It stated, I believe, that I left the course at April, but I gave up before christmas. =/

Please help.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    • 18,037 Posts
    • 16,967 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    As I understand it, you only start repaying a student loan when you are earning above a certain amount of money, or have i mis-understood ?

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/repaying-student-loans
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 19th Jul 19, 12:56 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:56 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:56 PM
    Are you able to clarify if this was a college course, or an undergraduate University course (both do access courses but funding isn't the same)?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, it looks like this is an advanced learner loan for a college course? https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan. These are repaid in the same way as a student loan for undergraduates, you don't start paying this back until you earn above 25,725; https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/loans-for-adults-in-further-education-and-training The same applies if you studied at a University.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,789Posts Today

6,723Users online

Martin's Twitter