Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 18th Jul 19, 8:21 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    Declined for EE sim contract - what next?
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:21 PM
    Declined for EE sim contract - what next? 18th Jul 19 at 8:21 PM
    Hi everyone, I found a great SIM contract deal yesterday through an online reseller 'fonehouse'.. I have been considering moving from giffgaff who I have been with for many years as I buy my phones outright and always have done...the SIM deal was a 12 month contract and I was willing to commit to this as it was the same price that I was already laying for but gave me more benefits..

However I received an email today stating how my order has been declined and cancelled with jo further explanation!
    I panicked a little as I'm hoping to be getting a mortgage in the next year or two and presumed I was declined due to my credit history...
    Like I say I have never had a phone contract or credit card but according to the credit checks I have done through mse I thought I should be in a good position...

Any advice on what I should do now as I'd love to get the sim deal but the bigger issue is, will this affect my chances with a mortgage or is this a sign to get a credit card and start trying to boost my score before I buy anything on contract???

Thanks for any advice as I'm in a bit of a pickle now!
Page 1
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 18th Jul 19, 8:26 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 7,057 Thanks
    Gaz83
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:26 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:26 PM
    You can't force them to give you the sim deal, so move on from that.

You need to get a copy of your credit files from the three agencies and check all the data on that - make sure addresses are up to date, there is no adverse history or anything of the sort that would make a lender unwilling to do business with you.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    Don’t sign up to anything to boost your score.

Your “score” isn’t a real thing looked at by lenders.

Check all 3 of your credit files for anything untowards then go from there.
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    Thanks Gaz, I'm not so fussed about the actual sim deal, I'm more concerned about what else I might be prevented from buying and if this will have a bad impact on mortgages in the future?

I recently changed my surname name by deed poll (a few months ago) but I assumed this would have just moved my records from my old name to my new name automatically.. just a little confused is all
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 18th Jul 19, 8:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:33 PM
    Donít sign up to anything to boost your score.

Your ďscoreĒ isnít a real thing looked at by lenders.

Check all 3 of your credit files for anything untowards then go from there.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Sorry by boost I mean by legitimate ways such as paying off a credit card each month etc etc,
    I will have a look in the morning about finding out my scores and see what records are held against my name
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 18th Jul 19, 8:33 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 7,057 Thanks
    Gaz83
    Ignore the scores. Focus on the data.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    Presumably you have notified all banks and other credit providers of the change of surname and amended the ER?
    Forget about the credit score.
    In order to have been declined for a SIM only contract there is either something VERY BAD contained in your credit files or, more likely, there was a problem connected to your name change such as you not being on the ER under the name given which resulted in their being unable to verify your identity thereby resulting in the decline.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 18-07-2019 at 8:38 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Jul 19, 8:37 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:37 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:37 PM
    Ignore any scores or ratings you see.
    They mean absolutely diddly.

Just look at the data. Accounts, payments, defaults, on the ER etc.
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 18th Jul 19, 8:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:42 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:42 PM
    Presumably you have notified all banks and other credit providers of the change of surname and amended the ER?
    Forget about the credit score.
    In order to have been declined for a SIM only contract there is either something VERY BAD contained in your credit files or, more likely, there was a problem connected to your name change such as you not being on the ER under the name given which resulted in their being unable to verify your identity thereby resulting in the decline.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I thought I had updated everything, as i don't have many accounts I had a pretty small list to update... the main ones were banks, dvla and work.. I hope it's due to the name change and not something else because contracts is something I have always tried to avoid and I'm hoping that frame of mind isn't coming back to bite me now

Cheers again Gary, I will have a proper look around at my data, would I be able to do this through mse credit club or should I go directly to the main 3?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Like I say I have never had a phone contract or credit card but according to the credit checks I have done through mse I thought I should be in a good position...
    Originally posted by DesignDweeb

Sorry by boost I mean by legitimate ways such as paying off a credit card each month etc etc,
    You say you have never had a credit card so how can you pay one off each month?
    If you cant get a SIM only contract why do you imagine you would be able to get a credit card to help build up your credit to the point where you can get a SIM only contract?

You appear to have already been checking your credit info through MSE credit club so at least you will have seen what data Experian have on you. Start off from there. Is everything correct? Is the ER entry correct?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Jul 19, 8:51 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Use the Credit Club for your Experian report.
    Use Clearscore for your Equifax report.
    Use Credit Karma (UK) for your TransUnion report.
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 18th Jul 19, 9:04 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    You say you have never had a credit card so how can you pay one off each month?
    If you cant get a SIM only contract why do you imagine you would be able to get a credit card to help build up your credit to the point where you can get a SIM only contract?

You appear to have already been checking your credit info through MSE credit club so at least you will have seen what data Experian have on you. Start off from there. Is everything correct? Is the ER entry correct?
    Honestly I'm not going to lie, this is all new to me as I have always had it in my head that I should only buy what I can afford.. now I have started looking further into things and I have realised it's just not that easy,

I have heard a lot about credit cards targeted at people with bad credit so I guessed I would have to use something like that to build my non existing credit up or atleast get some proof that I can pay back on time and in full,

I have checked the credit club a few times in the past few months (all of which seemed pretty good) but now I have checked again and everything has dropped, I'm having trouble leaving opening the a tubal report but foing off the credit club summary page, the worst thing that is highlighted is the 'account stability'.. I don't know if this is due to my recent rejection for a contract or if it's down to the fact that I have never had a credit card, I'm hoping to open the full report soon and look through the list that Gary has listed above to figure out where I can start
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Jul 19, 9:42 PM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,998 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Honestly I'm not going to lie, this is all new to me as I have always had it in my head that I should only buy what I can afford.. now I have started looking further into things and I have realised it's just not that easy,

I have heard a lot about credit cards targeted at people with bad credit so I guessed I would have to use something like that to build my non existing credit up or atleast get some proof that I can pay back on time and in full,

I have checked the credit club a few times in the past few months (all of which seemed pretty good) but now I have checked again and everything has dropped, I'm having trouble leaving opening the a tubal report but foing off the credit club summary page, the worst thing that is highlighted is the 'account stability'.. I don't know if this is due to my recent rejection for a contract or if it's down to the fact that I have never had a credit card, I'm hoping to open the full report soon and look through the list that Gary has listed above to figure out where I can start

For a newbie I'm impressed, only spend what you can afford.

Check all 3 reports, when you find any mention of an EE search then you know that's the file they searched.

Account stability to me is your moving from 1 account to another eg using the switching service.
    Check account stability mentioned on another report.

I reckon its related to the change of name.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Jul 19, 9:42 PM
    • 23,300 Posts
    • 25,852 Thanks
    zx81
    What do you mean by 'everything has dropped'? Do you mean accounts are missing? Were they previously there or do they report elsewhere?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th Jul 19, 1:25 AM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Ben8282
    You appear to be avoiding answering the question about the ER.
    Rejection for a SIM only contract is unlikely to be caused by lack of credit card or account stability.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 19th Jul 19, 6:48 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    nic_c

Reading the thread, do you have little or no credit, often what's called a thin file, or bad credit i.e. some defaults or worse

When are you going to apply for a mortgage, you may want to consult with a broker. Getting a credit builder card won't always show wonderful proof to make you credit file great, depends what else is in there or not - think of putting a ticking plaster on a gaping wound.
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 19th Jul 19, 8:20 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    For a newbie I'm impressed, only spend what you can afford.

Check all 3 reports, when you find any mention of an EE search then you know that's the file they searched.

Account stability to me is your moving from 1 account to another eg using the switching service.
    Check account stability mentioned on another report.

I reckon its related to the change of name.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I hope this is due to the name change as its the most recent big change, I have had to wait until this morning to get online as my phone was playing up last night and I wasn't able to log into my credit club account, I will be checking the 3 reports later on today and hopefully work out how to fix this for future.

You appear to be avoiding answering the question about the ER.
    Rejection for a SIM only contract is unlikely to be caused by lack of credit card or account stability.
    Sorry, I didnt mean to look like I was avoiding questions, my phone has been playing up a little... I dont remember actively updating ER but presumed that would be updated when all my other documents were updated, I even re-enrolled to vote just in case it reset, is there another way other than through the credit reports to find out as im having issues getting onto my Credit club account

Reading the thread, do you have little or no credit, often what's called a thin file, or bad credit i.e. some defaults or worse

When are you going to apply for a mortgage, you may want to consult with a broker. Getting a credit builder card won't always show wonderful proof to make you credit file great, depends what else is in there or not - think of putting a ticking plaster on a gaping wound.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Yeah this is what i'm assuming as I have never had any credit cards, phone contracts or loans (Other than student loans) so I think the combination of that and a surname change has maybe made me into a bit of an anomaly.. I want to get this sorted asap though as I dont want to be refused more things in future..

If I cant get a SIM contract, what are the chances im going to be approved for a mortgage?

As my credit club account is not working, I will have to go and get the reports directly, so I will hopefully have more answers later today
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 19th Jul 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Candyapple
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    TransUnion (formerly Call Credit): www.creditkarma.co.uk

What you need to be doing is checking that your bank account(s) are showing on all 3 files.

Are you on the electoral roll (does it show on all 3 files?)

If you are getting a mortgage in the next year or 2 you have plenty of time to build your history.

Get yourself a credit card. See if you are eligible for any of the below.

MSE Credit Card Eligibility Checker for 0% Purchase Cards:
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com//purchases

If not, try your own bank.

Once you have the card, just make your monthly spends on it and set up a direct debit to clear the full balance each month (assuming it's not a 0% purchase card). This way you will rack up the green zeroes every month on your credit file which shows you can handle credit.

When you've held the card for 1 year, apply for another one and also try for a new SIM only account. So that way you should have 2 credit cards, 1 bank account and 1 phone account reporting back your data to the credit reference agencies each month and should be plenty for your mortgage application to sail through. Just make sure that 6 months prior to your mortgage application you don't make any hard searches for credit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • DesignDweeb
    • By DesignDweeb 19th Jul 19, 9:38 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DesignDweeb
    Thank you so much for this reply Candyapple! this is exactly what I needed to help me understand, its close to what I had in mind anyway but its great to see somebody else with the same ideas..

I would probably put my petrol each month on the credit card.. can I spend too much on a credit card each month, say i put £200 a month, would that reflect badly on me as it looks like I need to lend so much cash every single month or should i stick to spending around £50/100 a month instead?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 19th Jul 19, 9:40 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Thank you so much for this reply Candyapple! this is exactly what I needed to help me understand, its close to what I had in mind anyway but its great to see somebody else with the same ideas..

I would probably put my petrol each month on the credit card.. can I spend too much on a credit card each month, say i put £200 a month, would that reflect badly on me as it looks like I need to lend so much cash every single month or should i stick to spending around £50/100 a month instead?
    It doesn't matter how much you spend as you'll be paying it off in full each month following the statement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,773Posts Today

8,556Users online

Martin's Twitter