Halifax Clarity payment decline

2»

Comments

• Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Glad you got this sorted OP but i kind of had the same problem with MBNA a few weeks ago as MBNA now use the same platform as Lloyds/BoS/Halifax.

I bought a TV from a Spanish online retailer a few weeks ago (now delivered) and after entering my MBNA CC details online , I unsurprisingly got a SMS asking me to confirm/decline the transaction. I confirmed this, however the transaction still didn't go through. I called up MBNA, they passed me through to their Fraud Dept and they said I should try again - the transaction went through ok the second time. However whats the point of getting a customer to confirm a transaction by SMS and then still declining the transaction? MBNA certainly couldn't answer this...
  • Highland76 wrote: »
    However whats the point of getting a customer to confirm a transaction by SMS and then still declining the transaction? MBNA certainly couldn't answer this...

I understand what you say, but there are two potential issues covered by the text process.

The first one is that a transaction may have cleared without a prior Authorisation attempt and it may have triggered an alert - hence you get a text message. If you say it is genuine, the transaction will be posted to your account - end of. If you say it isn't yours, a process of fraud analysis will be started.

The second is where an Authorisation attempt is made (as here) and that triggers a similar alert. The problem now is that the card issuer only has a few seconds to approve or decline the Authorisation request or they will be 'timed out' and a default response will be given by them or their 'agent' (which will probably be a Decline). If no response is given within the time allowed the retailer's own bank will (probably) issue the Decline to the retailer.

The text on this occasion will be sent in the hope that you will still confirm or deny participation, so that if the retailer tries it again (as many do) your bank will then be able to Approve or Decline according to what you have told them.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks Terry Towelling

Always interesting to hear what goes on behind the scenes, even if it doesn't initially make sense to the end user.
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    The second is where an Authorisation attempt is made (as here) and that triggers a similar alert. The problem now is that the card issuer only has a few seconds to approve or decline the Authorisation request or they will be 'timed out' and a default response will be given by them or their 'agent' (which will probably be a Decline). If no response is given within the time allowed the retailer's own bank will (probably) issue the Decline to the retailer.
    Thanks, so I guess my MBNA transaction was timed out by the retailer despite replying "YES" quickly (<30 sec) to the SMS from MBNA.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Highland76 wrote: »
    Thanks, so I guess my MBNA transaction was timed out by the retailer despite replying "YES" quickly (<30 sec) to the SMS from MBNA.

Probably. One can't really be certain of the timings because it isn't known how long it took MBNA to receive the auth message from the retailer/acquirer, nor how quickly MBNA texted you after the auth request, nor how long it took for the text to be delivered to you, nor how long MBNA took to receive and react to your response. Neither can we be certain who timed-out the request - MBNA or the retailer/acquirer.

30 seconds would, in my opinion, lead to a time-out but banks treat things differently. It is conceivable that a bank may adopt a policy of always declining immediately when an alert is triggered. Their text to you is then just a way of getting you to say whether it's yours or not in case the retailer repeats the auth request (as happens)

MBNA would know the answer to the question but you'd need to get through to the right person for an answer; front-line staff probably wouldn't be equipped to answer the question and probably wouldn't know who to talk to in order to get an answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure