Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 4:02 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Best Sim-only Deals

Click reply to discuss or ask a question about this article click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-11-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 19
    • Chop-D
    • By Chop-D 6th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Chop-D
    Anyone know why Smarty is not mentioned on best buys anymore?
    Have noticed there is no longer any mention of Smarty on the SIM only best buys page, it mentions GiffGaff under 'best of the rest' where the deals are more expensive than Smarty so wondering if I am missing something??
    • LOST
    • By LOST 9th Jul 19, 7:19 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    LOST
    MSE prob notting any kickbacks from Smarty?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 10th Jul 19, 7:37 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Why go for 8GB, unltd mins & texts: 9/mth on a 12 mth contract when Voxi (Vodaphone network) was doing a 8GB for 10/mth for the same unltd mins & texts & roaming on a one month, cancel anytime agreement? Also, where I was in Spain this year Three's partner (Movistar) only supported very slow 3G access while Vodaphone coverage supported 4G.
    • finhumfrey
    • By finhumfrey 11th Jul 19, 3:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    finhumfrey
    I am pleased to see that Smarty have been removed from the 'Best Sims Only' listings. At the beginning of the year I subscribed to Smarty as the amount of data offered and the price was exactly what I was looking for and the amount I needed when travelling around Europe in my camping-car. Unfortunately it was not to work out. The moment I left the channel tunnel in Calais it dropped all connections and data except SMS. On returning to the UK, and on exiting the channel tunnel at Folkestone, it was immediately live without my touching a thing. So it is clear that Smarty are not providing the service they offer and it would seem that they are actively switching off those travelling to Europe and wishing to use there sim card to maintain contact with the UK. I am once again in Europe and I am once again without the means to maintain contact with family and friends due entirely too listening to Smarty's help line who insist that there is nothing wrong and that I have full access. On the face of it the offer looks good and the price reasonable but after six months use at 7.50 per month and only five weeks of live use in the UK it is actually expensive.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Jul 19, 3:14 PM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 5,295 Thanks
    buglawton
    Did you check that you had roaming enabled on your phone? it sounds like it's not enabled. That feature used to be used a lot by people lining on the coast near France to avoid huge bills.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Jul 19, 4:09 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I am pleased to see that Smarty have been removed from the 'Best Sims Only' listings. At the beginning of the year I subscribed to Smarty as the amount of data offered and the price was exactly what I was looking for and the amount I needed when travelling around Europe in my camping-car. Unfortunately it was not to work out. The moment I left the channel tunnel in Calais it dropped all connections and data except SMS. On returning to the UK, and on exiting the channel tunnel at Folkestone, it was immediately live without my touching a thing. So it is clear that Smarty are not providing the service they offer and it would seem that they are actively switching off those travelling to Europe and wishing to use there sim card to maintain contact with the UK. I am once again in Europe and I am once again without the means to maintain contact with family and friends due entirely too listening to Smarty's help line who insist that there is nothing wrong and that I have full access. On the face of it the offer looks good and the price reasonable but after six months use at 7.50 per month and only five weeks of live use in the UK it is actually expensive.
    Originally posted by finhumfrey
    You're not eligible for 'Roam like at Home' anyway:-

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-telecoms/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

Conditions
    "Roam like at home" is intended for people who occasionally travel outside the country where they live or have stable links i.e. they work or study there. It's not meant to be used for permanent roaming. As long as you spend more time at home than abroad, or you use your mobile phone more at home than abroad, you can roam freely at domestic prices when travelling anywhere in the EU. This is considered a "fair use of roaming services".
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Jul 19, 7:41 PM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 5,295 Thanks
    buglawton
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    A lovely link, but could you explain why you think finhumfrey does not qualify for straightforward EU roaming with Smarty, specifically?
    (If of course he'd remembered to set his phone to allow roaming)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 19, 7:02 AM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    A lovely link, but could you explain why you think finhumfrey does not qualify for straightforward EU roaming with Smarty, specifically?
    (If of course he'd remembered to set his phone to allow roaming)
    Originally posted by buglawton
    If you actually mean why wasn't it working then no, only Smarty could answer that. Doesn't change the fact that eventually they'd have probably turned it off.
    • brookhouse
    • By brookhouse 17th Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    brookhouse
    Three: MSE blagged 9 month deal 8GB question
    I ordered the MSE blagged Three 9 per month deal with 8GB 12 month contract (minimum term).

The welcome letter is showing various monthly discounts to get from 23 to 9.

Is there a danger that these monthly discounts disappear at the end of the 12 month contract, or if I just stay on the package will the price stay the same (apart from RPI increases)?
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 18th Jul 19, 6:30 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Data SIM for tablet on holiday in France
    I'm thinking about getting a pay as you go data SIM for my tablet so it can be used whilst we are on holiday in france for a couple of weeks. The VOXI one looks like a good bet, just wondering if there were any other recommendations? I've got plenty of data on my phone but don't think I can tether when abroad (3 advance 1 month plan) and would like to be able to use my tablet too. Thanks.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 18th Jul 19, 6:45 AM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 5,295 Thanks
    buglawton
    https://3g.co.uk/tethering
    Can I tether when abroad?
    Tethering is supported on all plans in Go Roam in Europe destinations. However, data usage in the EU is limited to 19GB per month on all Pay Monthly plans and 15GB per month on Pay As You Go plans.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 18th Jul 19, 9:35 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    philatio
    SMARTY being a bit 'del-boy' on USwitch it seems.

Been checking every few days for a cheap sim-only deal.

They appeared near the top today with 2GB Data for 5 a month.

Clicked through to the site and its the standard SMARTY 7.50 a month with 2.50 back if you don't use the data.
    • Hydro1
    • By Hydro1 18th Jul 19, 10:00 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Hydro1
    philatio, I have just clicked through to that offer from Uswitch. The page shows me 7.50, reduced to 5, plus up to 2.50 unused data discount.

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/small?utm_campaign=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_ source=uSwitch+Mobiles&utm_content=Comparison+Engi ne&awc=10933_1563443695_940de34ddfb9f1d1335a9fb4c4 f6b3d5

PS, clicking through to the order page shows that the 5 price is only valid for the first 3 months
    Last edited by Hydro1; 18-07-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Update on pricing
    • Hydro1
    • By Hydro1 18th Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Hydro1
    philatio, their pages seem to be changing each time I look, but the offer is still misleading. Initially the page I linked to suggested that the price was 7.50, reduced to 5, plus the usual unused data discount, which could potentially have made the price 2.50 per month. Next time it showed 7.50 with free data for 3 months, reducing the price to 5. No unused data discount as the data is free. As they have a minimum monthly price of 5 on all packages, I think they may still be working on correcting the misleading info.
    • Jezzabell
    • By Jezzabell 18th Jul 19, 10:20 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Jezzabell
    Thanks for that, when i looked previously i read the bit that said - Tethering is not supported in Go Roam around the World destinations on any plans. - i overlooked the bit about Go Roam in Europe. Fab, no need for another SIM as both my husband and I have 12GB data on our phones. Love MSE for helping!

Just double checked with Three chat and if there was anything else i needed to do and they gave me an extra 2GB free this month for being a lovely valued customer - bonus!
    • Hydro1
    • By Hydro1 18th Jul 19, 10:23 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Hydro1
    To finhumfrey who reported issues with Smarty and EU Roaming. In addition to enabling roaming on your phone, are you aware that you also need to make a one off change to your phone's APN settings ?
    https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/2045756-setting-up-your-phone-to-work-abroad
    • bobmalooga
    • By bobmalooga 22nd Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bobmalooga
    voxi now for all
    voxi have lifted the age restriction now so anyone can have it regardless of age ,
    6gb data none of which is used for social media thats unlimited
    unlimited minutes and txts
    free picture msgs
    • bobmalooga
    • By bobmalooga 22nd Jul 19, 10:14 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bobmalooga
    voxi now for all
    sorry all i forgot to include the price, its 10 rolling 30 day
    • Rebeccaryan
    • By Rebeccaryan 29th Jul 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rebeccaryan
    Well that is quite a good option if we can cancel the contract any time, because I always get into contract trap and bear the consequences such as not being satisfied, yet bound to the contract
    • lw373
    • By lw373 3rd Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lw373
    Do any sim providers allow you to pay up-front for a year rather than monthly billing?

I want to get as many recurring charges off my bank account as possible as I’ll be applying for a mortgage soon and it’s probably going to be a bit tight getting what I want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

5,868Users online

Martin's Twitter