TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Comments

• Picasso7
    Picasso7 Posts: 4,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I tried trainsplit today and it offered me a really long journey home from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly so not very helpful and I had to change trains. I ended up remembering that ticketysplit used to suggest I got an afternoon train to Milton Keynes and then a ticket from there, so that is what I did.

I do miss ticketysplit!
  • Rail Easy or Trainsplit use NRE's website so to avoid its charges you can:-
    If you enter each leg of the split onto National Rail Enquiries you can ''basket'' each one then move onto the next leg and choose the rail company you wish to purchase tickets off, you then get directed to that companies website and can ( If offered) pick your seats avoiding the chance of having reserved different seats on each leg. You can choose to collect at Ticket Machine or Window. This will avoid the ''percentage of savings'' that trainsplit charges and a delivery charge.
    Also if your local station is not on the list on choosing which station to collect from you can enter any of them and collect from any booking office.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2018 at 8:30PM
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    Both the tools recommended only give me the 'arrive before' or 'leave after' option for both journeys, but I am going for a meeting so I need to arrive before it starts and leave after it ends.
    Which is exactly the option for your needs.
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    Without knowing your journey details it is impossible to advice.
    I'm intrigued! Do you actually pronounce that verb the same way that you spell it?
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    I tried trainsplit today and it offered me a really long journey home from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly so not very helpful and I had to change trains. I ended up remembering that ticketysplit used to suggest I got an afternoon train to Milton Keynes and then a ticket from there, so that is what I did.

I do miss ticketysplit!
    This was not in "fast" mode, surely?

In fast mode, Trainsplit will do the same as 'Ticketysplit', which only looked at the fastest journeys.

The main differences between Trainsplit and Ticketysplit are that

• Ticketysplit was restricted to only two tickets per journey, but the Trainsplit will offer more tickets, if cheaper
    • Trainsplit will offer slower journeys, which may be cheaper, in 'Value' mode. Ticketysplit didn't have that option.

If you can say what day/time it was, we can have a look.

I tried it for a random day/time and got offered a "split" at Crewe: https://imgur.com/a/lxEFttG, but you're correct that sometimes Milton Keynes can be cheaper. It varies according to all sorts of factors.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Rail Easy or Trainsplit use NRE's website so to avoid its charges you can:-
    If you enter each leg of the split onto National Rail Enquiries you can ''basket'' each one then move onto the next leg and choose the rail company you wish to purchase tickets off, you then get directed to that companies website and can ( If offered) pick your seats avoiding the chance of having reserved different seats on each leg.
    True; the benefits are that you get 100% of the saving, rather than just 90% of the saving.

However it may be worth paying the fee, which is 10% of the saving, for the following benefits:
    • an itinerary showing your whole journey (including which tickets to use and when to use them);
    • only one search needed;
    • you can be sure that all the connections are valid and form a continuous journey
    • if the train company denies your rights to complete your journey, or get compensation for your journey, if you are delayed, you can use your confirmation email as evidence of a contract for one journey, and Trainsplit will back you up in any such dispute with a train company.
    I do know people who have experienced train companies attempt to deny them their rights and this has helped them to assert their rights.

It does not give you extra rights, but I know what a huge battle it can be when train companies deny your rights, so this can be useful in resolving disputes.
  • North4
    North4 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    First experience of split ticketing through TrainSplit. Saved £38 on Lancaster to Bristol return (normal fare £150) for two adults, so pleased about that.
    On the way out the train was late into Birmingham New Street and we missed our connection, but we just got the tickets stamped at the Network Rail Office and caught a later train, but that would have been the same without split tickets.
    On the way back we were in coach E from Birmingham New Street to Wolverhampton, then coach B to Crewe, then back into coach E to Lancaster. But the train wasn't very busy before Crewe, so we just found some non-reserved seats in coach E for the 30 minute leg.

It was great to have the printed schedule, and I'd use Trainsplit again.
  • I'm not new to train splitting but I always forget to post my finds.
    This year, I got the 26-30 railcard as I knew I'd spend enough over the year to justify the cost, which I covered within the first week of train savings.

For this trip, I'm flying into Stansted because it was much cheaper than a Northern airport, and taking a train up to Leeds. Date is fixed as it's following a flight, time is flexible after landing. I wanted first class, 'cause I like to pretend I'm fancy. I rounded the numbers because maths.

I picked a ticket splitter at random as they all appear to be the same site under different names and compared it to my original £129 (with railcard) from the Northern Rail fare finder.

Ticket splitting app found me a ticket price of £53, they wanted £11.50ish as their share, final price of £64, saving me £64ish. I can do better.

Individual tickets would be in 3 parts, £23, £10 and £20. Game on. I found these prices online pretty easily but then a lightbulb went off. Why settle for paying £53? So into TopCashBack I went. I love TopCashBack, it's wonderful.

Would you believe, there are train deals abound, but mostly only 1-3%? No, me neither, so I dug some more and found 12% cashback at Omio. Never heard of them but the reviews looked okay. Sure, there's a small fee to book the ticket, but I did maths and it still made it cheaper to pay the 20-40p per transaction for this.

SO! I paid for each section of the ticket separately for a total of £53 with a cahsback of £6, making my ticket £47, down from the original £129, for a saving of approximately 65% for my first class trip from Stansted to Leeds.

I'm pretty sure that with more flexibility in terms of time or by taking standard class, I could have got it down further, but it's already a long day and I do have an onward journey from Leeds (plus I enjoy my little luxury treat now and again) so I'm pretty happy with my saving.

Hope that made sense, good luck on your train ticket finding adventures!

2014 wins: maternity/nursing pillow, Magnum chocolate, baby stroller, Baileys cupcakes
    Took a break while I moved country (twice).
    2018 wins:£400 meal for 4, Clipper tea
    2019 wins: flight voucher
  • teezie
    teezie Posts: 51 Forumite
    I've been using splityourticket, mostly due to convenience/laziness - but they also offer cash back which they send to you in the form of a love2shpo voucher.... However recently went on a trip from Oxford to Scotland with my partner (2together railcard) and my mum (senior railcard). Using this site, you all have to have the same railcard for some reason, so in order to get the discounts I had to do it myself. But I used their site to work out where the splits should occur (it's a know fact amongst my friends that you can save a good amout between Oxford and any trip via Birmingham if you just split at Banbury, the next stop on the line).
    We were going to Edinburgh, then returning from Glasgow, I booked all via GWR (nectar points, option to book more than one journey at a time), if I recall I could only book 5 journeys at a time though. the only 'problem' we encountered was that on the outward bound, we had to change our seat reservation to across the aisle at Birmingham.

Oxford - Edinburgh involved 7 splits and even though we booked ahead the advance fares were gone, so it should've been approx £100 each with rail cards, we paid £109 total.
    Glasgow to Oxford on the return, 3 splits. should've been £85 each with railcards, came to £53 total.

making a total saving of around £390. It took me around an hour of plugging journeys into the booking site/national rail to ensure i was getting the right trains and checking seats etc but worth the work I reckon.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm not new to train splitting but I always forget to post my finds.
    This year, I got the 26-30 railcard as I knew I'd spend enough over the year to justify the cost, which I covered within the first week of train savings.

For this trip, I'm flying into Stansted because it was much cheaper than a Northern airport, and taking a train up to Leeds. Date is fixed as it's following a flight, time is flexible after landing. I wanted first class, 'cause I like to pretend I'm fancy. I rounded the numbers because maths.

I picked a ticket splitter at random as they all appear to be the same site under different names and compared it to my original £129 (with railcard) from the Northern Rail fare finder.

Ticket splitting app found me a ticket price of £53, they wanted £11.50ish as their share, final price of £64, saving me £64ish. I can do better.

Individual tickets would be in 3 parts, £23, £10 and £20. Game on. I found these prices online pretty easily but then a lightbulb went off. Why settle for paying £53? So into TopCashBack I went. I love TopCashBack, it's wonderful.

Would you believe, there are train deals abound, but mostly only 1-3%? No, me neither, so I dug some more and found 12% cashback at Omio. Never heard of them but the reviews looked okay. Sure, there's a small fee to book the ticket, but I did maths and it still made it cheaper to pay the 20-40p per transaction for this.

SO! I paid for each section of the ticket separately for a total of £53 with a cahsback of £6, making my ticket £47, down from the original £129, for a saving of approximately 65% for my first class trip from Stansted to Leeds.

I'm pretty sure that with more flexibility in terms of time or by taking standard class, I could have got it down further, but it's already a long day and I do have an onward journey from Leeds (plus I enjoy my little luxury treat now and again) so I'm pretty happy with my saving.

Hope that made sense, good luck on your train ticket finding adventures!

If you travel regularly it’s worth joining Complete Savings & booking tickets through Trainline as you get 10% Cashback .
  • I've just tried the Rail Easy website as I am travelling to Carlisle from Liverpool on Saturday 24th August and the price came up at £53.70 return, leaving Liverpool at 13.45 and arriving at Carlisle at 16.02

Sunday 25th August - leaving Carlisle at 10.52 and arriving in Liverpool at 13.09

Are there any cheaper options other than the above ?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport