Solar ... In the news

Comments

• Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 July 2019 at 10:40PM
    EricMears wrote: »
    I think it was just a district court where one decision doesn't bind a different court. If it goes to appeal, the appeal court decision would bind lower courts.
    Thanks for that Eric.
    No doubt it was pure co-incidence, but our neighbour was out this morning cutting down his bamboo that had shot up beyond twenty feet high and cast a shadow on our panels during the depth of winter. Perhaps he read the same article.:D
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Coastalwatch
    Good to see this project going ahead, presumably helping to offload a little of the demand upon the national grid. If successful then there must be acres of similar such derelict land available to take advantage of. After all there are a multitude of narrow strips lying idle alongside rail lines useless for anything else that could make a useful contribution with very minimal losses for its transportation/distribution!

Solar panels are being installed at Aldershot Station as part of a project exploring the potential of solar-powered railways.
    The 135 panels are being installed on derelict land near the station and are expected to start generating in August. They will supply electricity directly to the railway lines without first distributing it to the grid.

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk
    /news/solar_powered_railway_project_to_launch_in_august_as_135_panels_installed
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,764 Forumite
    Good to see this project going ahead, presumably helping to offload a little of the demand upon the national grid. If successful then there must be acres of similar such derelict land available to take advantage of. After all there are a multitude of narrow strips lying idle alongside rail lines useless for anything else that could make a useful contribution with very minimal losses for its transportation/distribution!

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk
    /news/solar_powered_railway_project_to_launch_in_august_as_135_panels_installed

I would worry that any panels on disused land would, like a lot of railway property, be prone to theft or more likely vandalism. The panels would be perfect canvasses for street art (aka graffiti).
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Coastalwatch
    JKenH wrote: »
    I would worry that any panels on disused land would, like a lot of railway property, be prone to theft or more likely vandalism. The panels would be perfect canvasses for street art (aka graffiti).
    Good to see your positive side coming to the fore JKen.:D
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    New World Record for cheapest PV, but this one is much closer to home.

Portugal Bags Lowest-Cost Solar Bid In The World
    The Portuguese energy secretariat has secured 1.15 GW of solar development at an average cost of €20.33 ($22.53 per megawatt-hour), representing an investment of about €800 million or $887 million.

One of the bids was made at €14.76/MWh ($16.44/MWh), which was declared a new world record for low solar bidding, according to Portugal’s Journal Econ!mico. The secretariat had placed a €45/kWh ceiling on bidding.

That HVDC link to N. Africa just got a bit shorter! ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know if this is serious. My understanding of the solar roadways campaign was that it simply didn't make economic sense, but does this?

France to pave 1,000km of road with solar panels

I'd have thought road side canopies, car park canopies etc etc, would be cheaper than traffic proof PV. However, if it works, then that's space sorted ...... if it works.

Mart.

And in does the pope-!!!!-in-the-woods news:
    The world’s first solar road in Normandy, northern France, which opened in 2016, has failed to meet expectations.
    The 1-km-long by 2.8-m-wide road of solar panels is in part damaged beyond repair and is not producing the power that the manufacturer Wattway had promised.
    https://www.energy-reporters.com/environment/worlds-first-solar-road-fails-to-meet-expectations/
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Martyn1981
    ABrass wrote: »

I totally share your view as expressed on the Green energy thread. PV is great, and I'm an optimist, and I believe in giving things a shot, just in case. But solar roadways is a crazy idea, and also unnecessary.

My biggest fear is that a solar idea that virtually all (possibly all) PV fans thought was daft, will be used to bash renewables.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Interesting article on the different revenues for China Power:

China Power figures show how much cheaper solar is than coal

And unrelated, but went 'off-piste' with some clickbait, and nice to see how powerful PV panels are getting. Got permission from Wifey for 4 ground mount panels, and something in the high 300's would be lovely jubbly:

REC Alphα Series 380Wp

Course, I only told her 4 panels, I didn't necessarily say standard sized panels:

[URL="file:///C:/Users/Martyn/Downloads/JeThr%C3%BC-JT_SSh(M)_425-440W_-_144-half-cell_DG_9BB_mono_PERC_-_2.0_2.0mm_(frame)_(166)1564560653429.pdf"]Jetion 440Wp panels[/URL]

• Martyn1981
    British company that provides pay-as-you-go mini solar systems in Africa is expanding into Asia:

Mitsubishi invests in UK company to bring off-grid solar to Asia
    BBOXX and its rivals use mobile money to charge customers a monthly fee for the use of mini solar panels and ultra-efficient lighting strips. The fixed-period contracts usually run for about two years, until the equipment is paid off.

Customers can then choose to keep their existing kit and use the electricity for free, or upgrade their system to include more panels and extra appliances under a new contract.

• ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    New World Record for cheapest PV, but this one is much closer to home.

Portugal Bags Lowest-Cost Solar Bid In The World

That HVDC link to N. Africa just got a bit shorter! ;)

Nicely illustrates that the amount of sunshine is only one of the factors in the economics of solar PV! After all, while Portugal has some good sunshine, it's nowhere near the best locations for PV such as parts of Chile or Namibia.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure