Changing to 4GEE but what about landline?

elljay
elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Advice please. I have a combined broadband and landline 18 month package from EE which will soon be coming to an end. The broadband is rubbish (max 1.2mbps) but 4G is good so I'm thinking of investigating a 4GEE router thingie. I would like to do without the landline but I can't really expect people who mainly use landlines to ring my mobile because of the cost to them so need to retain the landline. I read somewhere else on here that a home phone contract would be about £12 a month from the post office and if I add that to the cost of the 4GEE then that's going to be a lot more than I can really afford.

Is there another way of doing it? I would prefer to stay with EE as it's the best (often only) signal locally.

Thanks for any advice.

EJ

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Port your landline number to a VoIP (Voice over IP) provider (eg Sipgate £30 one-off fee) and you can then make and receive calls anywhere you can get a reasonable internet connection.

Any unanswered calls go to voicemail which gets emailed to you.

Note that porting your number will cease your existing landline service and contract. Be clear with EE that you want cease and stop and not cease-and-reprovide otherwise they might give you another landline and contract.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can get "virtual" landline numbers that just forward to your mobile, something like this:
    https://numberpeople.co.uk/keep-your-existing-numbers-and-port-to-number-people/
    (others are available, that's just one of the early Google results)

However do note that a lot of landline providers include mobile numbers in their packages already as standard and if that's the case it could cost them no more to call you as it is. But that's not something you can control.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for those options. Thinking about it I need to keep my landline number as it's in various places online/with contacts because of my work as well as my elderly mother who has just been diagnosed with early Alzheimer's. Even if I programme my new number into her phone she'd still be trying to ring the old one!

I hadn't heard of those options so obviously need to look a bit wider for ideas. Very grateful, thanks.

EJ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport