Shredding raffle ticket stubs after use

My husband helped organise our annual charity village fete on Saturday, a feature of which was the village draw to help rise money for village good causes.
Somebody just remind him that now the draw has taken place he needs to destroy all the stubs because they contain personal information such as a phone number or email address.
So since we have no garden space for a bonfire he's now having to painstakingly feed all the stubs into our home shredder.

What do charity organisers do with their used stubs? Does anybody bother to destroy them or do they just throw them in the waste paper basket?

Honest answers please !

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Primrose wrote: »
    What do charity organisers do with their used stubs? Does anybody bother to destroy them or do they just throw them in the waste paper basket?

Dumping them in waste paper could leave you with a huge fine for breaching GDPR, so is a definite no-no.

There are firms that take away confidential paperwork for industrial shredding - just a few pounds per sack, which is what firms like accountants and solicitors use.

One way or another you have to destroy them. They're your responsibility and you will be liable if they get into the wrong hands (or even if someone reports you and no harm has been done).
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a professional shredding firm come to my house to destroy about 200 kg of confidential paperwork. From memory it cost me about £60 but I did fit in time wise with when they were on their way to a regular client (doctor's surgery) nearby. It was huge machine in the back of a lorry so I was able to watch it being done there and then. A certificate was issued but obviously that doesn't prove what you had shredded, just the volume.

Handing it in a shredders by the bag full would have been a bit cheaper but I was a bit uneasy, although most solicitors etc seem quite happy to do just that.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hang on to them till bonfire night .
    M
    Pack them inside the guy. Job done for free
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I do shred them. Admittedly there are usually fewer than 1500 tickets (school PTA) so it's not that much work - less than an hour. I just see it as part of running the event. It's easier than standing in the midday sun manning a stall at least!

If you have kids or grandkids, it might be easier to give them a fiver to do it for you (make sure they do it in one room so you can check for missed ones at the end).
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could you not burn them in a neighbour's garden if it's not possible in yours? Shredding sounds quite a task especially if you have to pull out the staples.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You could put them in a bucket and pour bleach over them, leave for a few hours and stir with a stick.

I would recommend gloves and eye protection.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    We found a fairly quick way of disposing of the dead non winning ticket stubs. We packed them flat into a number of large discarded envelopes which were lurking in our recyclying box, squashed them flat and then put the padded envelopes through our shredder. .

Must remember to save our big discarded envelopes for the next time we get caught with this task!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure