Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheOldSeaDog78
    • By TheOldSeaDog78 9th Jul 19, 8:47 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    TheOldSeaDog78
    Freeview without an aerial
    • 9th Jul 19, 8:47 AM
    Freeview without an aerial 9th Jul 19 at 8:47 AM
    Is there a way of getting Freeview without an aerial? My aerial is broken, and my landlord wont pay for repair/replace, and I don't really want to pay either, an indoor aerial is no good.. Is there any way I can use my internet? Legally I may add
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    No, Freeview is through a terrestrial aerial only. Many of the channels do have catchup (and some live) content online of course.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 09-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Jul 19, 10:54 AM
    • 12,773 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Jul 19, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 10:54 AM
    There is certainly a lot of Freeview available free of charge over the Internet, as a mix of catch-up and live.

BBC iPlayer - live & catch-up.

ITV Hub - ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe. Live & catch-up

All4 - C4, E4, More4, 47, Walter Presents. Catch-up only.

My5 - C5, 5Spike, 5USA, and a bundle of other channels. Catch-up only.

UKTV Player - Dave, Drama and Yesterday. Catch-up only

Food Network - clips only.

Quest OD - selected catch-up & Live.

Commercial catch-up does not require a TV Licence. iPlayer and commercial live streaming does require a TV Licence.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 09-07-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Trains
    • By Trains 9th Jul 19, 11:15 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Trains
    • 9th Jul 19, 11:15 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 11:15 AM
    TVPlayer is an Internet television company serving the United Kingdom, offering access to free live television channel streams using a web browser or application software via big screen and small screen mobile devices.

https://tvplayer.com
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 10th Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 10th Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    • 10th Jul 19, 7:22 AM
    Get a firestick from Amazon 39.00, it will give you all the channels and many more,will also turn your tv into a Smart TV.
    • shorty35
    • By shorty35 10th Jul 19, 8:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shorty35
    • 10th Jul 19, 8:46 AM
    • 10th Jul 19, 8:46 AM
    I had a similar issue. I got an indoor aerial from Amazon and it worked fine. I was able to get HD channels as well.

I think there are a few types depending on your location. Do a google search there is a Which how to Buy an indoor aerial.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 11th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 11th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    • 11th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    Forget the aerial,today its all about streaming,provide you have decent broadband, the firestick will be the best option.
    • Garyswork2
    • By Garyswork2 13th Jul 19, 5:29 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Garyswork2
    • 13th Jul 19, 5:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 19, 5:29 PM
    I agree. You can get Freeview by streaming, but this usually requires a Smart TV or or a Chrome stick of some kind. At the moment only a few of the catch up services offer live streaming, the main one being iPlayer, although there are plenty of sites if your TV's web browser supports them, just Google TV Live UK TV streaming or similar, that's how I watch UK TV on holiday.

The way I do it at home however is via DLNA streaming, that's local streaming across devices at home. i.e. I have a Smart TV with twin Freeview tuners (currently every Panasonic OLED going and some older Panasonic LED's too). I know this because I have 4 of them around the house. This enables me to watch one of the tuners on the main TV and stream the 2nd tuner to one of my other 3 TV's. Or simply share the channel I'm watching to one of the 3 other TV's which still leaves me with a spare tuner to stream another channel. Basically 3 TV watching live TV at once with only one of them connected to an aerial.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 14th Jul 19, 6:42 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 14th Jul 19, 6:42 AM
    • 14th Jul 19, 6:42 AM
    Why are you making it complicated,a firestick will give all the freeview channels and more,plus all the catch up.
    You need a amazon firestick.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jul 19, 8:44 AM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,998 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I had a similar issue. I got an indoor aerial from Amazon and it worked fine. I was able to get HD channels as well.

I think there are a few types depending on your location. Do a google search there is a Which how to Buy an indoor aerial.
    Originally posted by shorty35

Problem is the OP says an indoor ariel is no good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,773Posts Today

8,556Users online

Martin's Twitter