Refund for poor hotel

Options
I booked a one night stay in a hotel through booking.com, however when we arrived there, the place was an absolute mess. There was no-one there to greet us or speak to as it was fairly late when we arrived, so we walked out and travelled home.

The place was like a building site, and the room was dirty with mould on the ceiling in the bathroom. Not a suitable place to stay with my pregnant wife, and definitely not worth what we paid for it.

I've contacted booking.com via their messaging and sent them the pictures I took. I'm currently awaiting their response, however I've just remembered that I paid on my credit card. Would it be worth speaking to them as well or should I wait for booking.com's response first?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could do either, but the credit card company will also need to get the facts from both you and booking.com.
  • ADChick
    ADChick Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I'll leave it with booking.com for now then. I don't know what their turnaround time is for responding.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You say you walked out when no-one was on the reception desk, yet in the second paragraph you appear to have seen a room.

I assume someone did greet you and gave you the keys to a room. Did you ask to change rooms if the one offered to you was as you describe?

See what booking.com say but if you did not give the hotel a chance to offer a different and hopefully better room I can't see them offering a full refund.
  • ADChick
    Options
    The keys were in a wall mounted safe next to the room. They gave us a code to the main door (which was broken and anyone could enter anyway) and a code to the safe.

There was no-one around at all.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If the room cost more than £100 and you paid by credit card, you could try claiming against both the credit card company and Booking.com

Although any hotel that provides access to the rooms via a key safe may not be in the £100 a night category!? I've only used key safes at self catering accommodation.
  • ADChick
    Options
    It was over £100 per night. The reception closes at 6pm, so if you arrive later than that they send you an email with the code in.

I might get in touch with the credit card company as well then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure