Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michelle1970
    • By Michelle1970 23rd May 19, 11:17 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Michelle1970
    Parking fine
    • 23rd May 19, 11:17 AM
    Parking fine 23rd May 19 at 11:17 AM
    Hi

Really wanting some advice as Iíve no idea where else to seek advice.
    Iíve read many other posts and the newbies section and canít find anything thatís in the same situation as mine.

Back in Oct I entered a car park smart parking it was £2 allday I put my money in the machine along with my car reg when receiving the ticket it spat a £1 out and issued me a £1 ticket there was someone not sure they worked at the car park or not but they told me machines been playing up stick in a note in your dash and youíll be fine , with the £1 spat back out I decided to get another £1 to make it £2 I had no other change on me and had taken someone out for the day with severe mental health problems.

I decided not to just only put a note in my window screen but I also rang the company at least 4 times only to lead me to voicemail which I left messages on stating what had happened what time who I am and Which was my car I continued to call but hadnít no luck in speaking to an actual person but in my mind Iíd done my bit as a honest person 2 weeks later I got a fine through the door I appealed it and lost through popla stating id over stayed and paid insufficiently although I paid £2 but separately due to dodgy machine left a cover note and also phone calls.
    Popla said there was no evidence of my calls so I went ahead to obtain a full print out of my bill from my mobile phone company and my MP went ahead and sent it they acknowledged my phone calls seeing proof from my bill but just said to my MP at the end of the day I breached their terms and conditions as I paid for two £1 tickets rather than a £2 allday ticket but it wasnít no my fault that the machine spat my money out and issued me a £1 ticket. Itís not like I went away I put another £1 in to obtain another £1 ticket I just assumed this would be good enough and was told by a memeber of public it would be fine as they had the similar situation.

During the time Iím getting letter from DRP threatening court action if I donít pay £170.

I decided to get my MP involved explained the whole situation she sent off a letter and she also got a letter saying they wouldnít be changing their mind and I must pay no later than 14th May to avoid court proceedings.

I was told by people to ignore it but Iíve constant worry because unlike others I admitted it was me and my car and told them the problem with their machines I just feel they acted maliciously in a way as I phoned up being honest and true to what had happened. To be honest I wish I never bothered but Iím too honest for my own good.

So today Iíve received a letter headtitled Zenith which Iíve researched and found out itís just another header of DRP.

I now have until the 30th May to pay in full £170 but the client is willing to take instalments but do no ignore or court proceeding will take place.

Now this has gone on for a while Iím worried and unsure whether I should keep ignoring or not cause obviously my situation is abit different to all other situations on here I feel like a fool for being honest and thinking that it may go against me even though I donít feel Iím at fault and did everything in my power to explain the situation.

Now Iím at a loss end do I ring up and offer to pay instalments or do I carry on ignoring? Iím full of bad luck and some say I may be paranoid but at end of the day they know who I am they know I admittedly itís my car and I was the driver but they choose to avoid that I was being honest and did everything I could in being an honest person.

The car park has not once commented about their faulty ticket machine itís like theyíre avoiding it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you
Page 2
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 12th Jul 19, 8:33 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    MistyZ
    Iím quite upset and stressed about this my family arenít exactly helping me my mum says oh well youíll be blacklisted a friend says let it go to court do you have the tickets you Iím really upset and stressed I donít want this or need this I wish I never rang the car park company up on the day explaining what had happened and what Iíd done and who I am I donít feel at fault but then Iím worrying as I have a lot of bad luck nothing has ever gone in my favour and I canít afford to ensnare up paying £100s out itís really getting to me
    Originally posted by Michelle1970
    Well you have the opportunity to make your own luck now. The experienced regulars are very supportive and just damn good when and if it comes to the court stage.

You seem to be surrounded by people who are full of doom, gloom and misinformation!

'Court' sounds terrifying but apparently it isn't, not in regard to parking charges anyway. As long as you were well-prepared it'd be fine and others have indicated that there would be a very good chance of success.

I'd recommend dishing the 'poor me' stuff and getting ready to fight. First off, keep any debt collectors letters but do no be intimidated by their threats, many of which are lies. There would be quite an interval before a court appearance, so there's time to gradually get to grips with all the stages required. Do a bit of reading here, little by little.

In my opinion fighting parking charges is quite good for self-esteem! I keep seeing people on here who start off collapsed in a miserable heap and end up talking 'Witness Statements' and 'Defences' like pros! (And win!)
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Jul 19, 8:43 AM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 5,517 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    This might help: -
    Bargepole's 'what happens when' post linked from post #2 of the NEWBIES thread gives an overview, as does Loadsofchildren123's post linked from the same place.

Does this video help?...
    Thanks to KeithP for the original post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

1,920Users online

Martin's Twitter