Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onasc
    • By onasc 30th Jun 19, 11:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    onasc
    Smoking in the kitchen
    • 30th Jun 19, 11:23 PM
    Smoking in the kitchen 30th Jun 19 at 11:23 PM
    Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
    I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
    I was told I am being unfair. Am I right?
Page 3
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 4th Jul 19, 10:32 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 4,853 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Are you right? Maybe. It's your house, you pay for it, you can do as you please.

However, asserting your "right" when you share the house with others is beyond common manners and decency. Of course you shouldn't
    Originally posted by stripeyfox
    Yes very common manners and decency in helping pay the household bills for a house they do not own
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 5th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    What if itís their minor child?
    Originally posted by onwards&upwards
    Clearly stated as adults in the original post.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 5th Jul 19, 8:33 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Takmon
    Yes as opposed to the family members who don't contribute to the bills in the OP's house
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    The OP has never said that they have asked them to contribute to the bills. If they had asked them to contribute towards the bills and they have an income but have refused then yes that is unfair.

Some people on this forum must be a nightmare to visit and must get no friends or family coming to see them because they seem to think doing what they want in their own home (even if it harms others) is perfectly acceptable.
    • TomokoAdhami
    • By TomokoAdhami 5th Jul 19, 9:29 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    TomokoAdhami
    I damn agree with you on "your house, your rules" but I think these adults care for you that's why they think you shouldn't smoke. Otherwise, none of us has any problem with your smoking.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 5th Jul 19, 2:26 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Clearly stated as adults in the original post.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    I wasnít responding to the OP.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 7th Jul 19, 1:21 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    I tend to smoke outside except when its really really cold and then I smoke near an open window. Not ideal for them or me, but a compromise. I must admit I keep the lounge windows open unless there's icicles on the window frame because I want to keep the ill effects of my habit off others as much as I can. But yes, it is my house etc etc.

Not perfect but the best compromise I can do.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    That doesn't work as most of the smoke stays in the room anyway, even if the window is open.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jul 19, 7:17 AM
    • 6,176 Posts
    • 29,161 Thanks
    Slinky
    OP hasn't been back since their first post, which was their only post. Never mind smoke, I'm smelling troll.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 8th Jul 19, 12:11 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 4,853 Thanks
    Marvel1
    OP hasn't been back since their first post, which was their only post. Never mind smoke, I'm smelling troll.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Oh well, provided a great debate
    • db2016
    • By db2016 8th Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    db2016
    i make at least 60 mins, thats probably the time people have wasted being triggered by the troll.

saw what it was in the first post, poster's only post. no need to comment. it wasnt genuine.

and tbf some have probably known this and posted just to have their 2p.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 8th Jul 19, 4:02 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Yep!!

I know one shouldn't feed trolls but sometimes it's irresistible to join in.
    • flanker6
    • By flanker6 11th Jul 19, 1:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    flanker6
    Yes you are right, your house your rules, they don't like it, they can move out.
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    I'd agree. Especially if you were a smoker when they moved into YOUR house.

(Saying this as a firm non-smoker that detests the smell of cigarettes.)
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Jul 19, 12:44 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    fred246
    I am amazed people seem to just associate smoking with lung cancer. Smoking causes so much more. I always think more of the effect on blood vessels. Stroke, heart attacks, impotence, blindness, amputations. I taught my children about the effects of smoking from a very young age. I always remember my little boy pointing at a woman smoking "daddy that lady still has two legs. I thought you said they would be amputated".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

7,826Users online

Martin's Twitter