Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 3:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 3:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 531
    • Halfpint.biker
    • By Halfpint.biker 3rd Jul 19, 4:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Halfpint.biker
    My mortgage was with Abbey National which was taken over by Santander. When I approached then about PPI they told me that they did not have any records from the Abbey so I had no claim against them.

Is this true, can they just destroy the records then tell me to bog off?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Jul 19, 5:21 PM
    • 23,311 Posts
    • 25,861 Thanks
    zx81
    Quite the opposite.

They HAVE to destroy the records in accordance with the DPA, but would welcome you providing your own evidence, as you were the only one allowed to keep it.

Then they can review your complaint.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 4th Jul 19, 10:12 AM
    • 9,499 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    When the PPI claim companies have no more work - what will they try to con us with next ?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Jul 19, 10:15 AM
    • 23,311 Posts
    • 25,861 Thanks
    zx81
    They're already started.

Interest only mortgages.
    • The_squirrell
    • By The_squirrell 4th Jul 19, 10:26 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    The_squirrell
    They're already started.

Interest only mortgages.
    Originally posted by zx81

And fees, and charges, and terms,,,,,,and anything else they can think of! They are literally throwing all kinds of **** at the wall at the moment to see if anything sticks!

And as for those who sell Litigation Funding as an "investment" to fund these spurious cases, well don't get me started!
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Jul 19, 10:28 AM
    • 23,311 Posts
    • 25,861 Thanks
    zx81
    And, I hope, "were you mis sold by a PPI claims company? Let us claim for you!"
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Jul 19, 11:02 AM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    And, I hope, "were you mis sold by a PPI claims company? Let us claim for you!"
    Originally posted by zx81
    Ha Ha
    Maybe they'll want to charge a fee for originally charging a fee?
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 6th Jul 19, 5:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    PPI premiums how much detail required in complaint form
    Looking for some advice please from folk who have been successful in claiming back missold PPI premiums. When requesting a refund for missold PPI, have people detailed how much they are claiming and does that help or hinder the case? Or does the bank work it out ?assuming they uphold the complaint.

In addition, is there then a case for reclaiming bank charges which would not have occurred had the money been in the account rather than paying PPI premiums (specifically taking about a case where the bank account is held with the same bank as the mortgage PPI policy was taken out with. Would this have to be detailed in the original complaint or would this come after?

Was basically told had more chance of getting the mortgage if bought the PPI and also tick about another 5 boxes on the list of reasons for misselling on the ombudsman site but want to make sure I include an appropriate level of detail at the right point. Any help from someone whoís done similar would be HUGELY appreciated!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Jul 19, 6:39 PM
    • 23,311 Posts
    • 25,861 Thanks
    zx81
    You don't determine the amount. It's calculated according to a regulated formula.

There's nothing for bank charges - that is a separate area.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 6th Jul 19, 11:13 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    SonOf
    In addition, is there then a case for reclaiming bank charges which would not have occurred had the money been in the account rather than paying PPI premiums (specifically taking about a case where the bank account is held with the same bank as the mortgage PPI policy was taken out with. Would this have to be detailed in the original complaint or would this come after?
    Theoretically, yes. However, you dont see it often being used on things like MPPI as the regular premium is typically relatively small and is likely to be less than the amount you are over your OD limit.
    • GraBaBargain
    • By GraBaBargain 9th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GraBaBargain
    Plevin Only Claim
    Hi,

I asked a question a little while ago about making a Plevin only claim because the resolver tool was very convenient to use to complain against financial institutions. While some of the banks etc, I emailed, the resolver tool either created an email with High Commission only as the subject or it was a PPI claim.

I was told that if you make a complaint for Plevin, the bank should investigate the whole of the PPI policy. However, I complained to PSA about a car HP policy (subject was Plevin - High Commission only claim) and they wrote back advising they owed me just under £100 for the high commission. However, I don't believe they have investigated the rest of the PPI policy as I believe they owe me a lot more than that for the misselling.

Should I create another complaint against them specifically mentioning PPI Misselling or should I go back to them and ask if they have investigated the rest of the PPI, or should I forward it to the Ombudsman?

Even though the original complaint was for Plevin (High Commission only), I did detail in the email itself about being missold PPI. Would this be enough for them to have looked at the whole PPI policy properly or can they just say "well you just asked for the high commission part"?

Thanks in advance.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Jul 19, 8:58 AM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was told that if you make a complaint for Plevin, the bank should investigate the whole of the PPI policy. However, I complained to PSA about a car HP policy (subject was Plevin - High Commission only claim) and they wrote back advising they owed me just under £100 for the high commission. However, I don't believe they have investigated the rest of the PPI policy as I believe they owe me a lot more than that for the misselling.
    Originally posted by GraBaBargain
    I told you that a Plevin complaint should automatically trigger an investigation into whether the PPI was mis-sold. Unfortunately, that thread became rather argumentative with another user stating his belief that it was possible to make a Plevin only complaint in order to "keep" the PPI.

In your circumstance, I'd carefully read your offer letter from PSA. If it mentions in any way that your PPI was not mis-sold then you know that they have also treated your concerns as a PPI complaint. Basically, Plevin only applies to rejected PPI complaints and people using the "Plevin Only" option are generally those who have previously complained and been rejected without a Plevin refund being awarded.

In any case, don't bring another "complaint" until you are certain that the Bank have not investigated your PPI.
    • GraBaBargain
    • By GraBaBargain 9th Jul 19, 11:52 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GraBaBargain
    I told you that a Plevin complaint should automatically trigger an investigation into whether the PPI was mis-sold. Unfortunately, that thread became rather argumentative with another user stating his belief that it was possible to make a Plevin only complaint in order to "keep" the PPI.

In your circumstance, I'd carefully read your offer letter from PSA. If it mentions in any way that your PPI was not mis-sold then you know that they have also treated your concerns as a PPI complaint. Basically, Plevin only applies to rejected PPI complaints and people using the "Plevin Only" option are generally those who have previously complained and been rejected without a Plevin refund being awarded.

In any case, don't bring another "complaint" until you are certain that the Bank have not investigated your PPI.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought but I'm reading the letter now and I can't see where it mentions about my PPI being mis-sold. The letter opens with "Thank you for your letter relating to undisclosed commission you may have paid as part of your PPI."

It just goes on to say about commission and that this is their final decision. I've got the full text if you want it.
    • philjo2
    • By philjo2 9th Jul 19, 7:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    philjo2
    2 weeks ago I sent in a claim for my PPI with first plus we took out in 2006, we claimed back the PPI balance of around £14k in 2011 as we never claimed on it, this was part of its terms. I was unsure if we would get anything as I asked for the interest we paid on this and the secured loan in the 5 years. Today we have just been sent a very nice cheques for nearly £24k. I cannot thank MSE enough for the advice. Went through the resolver site and it couldn't have been easier. Once again thanks soo much. If I can do this anyone can and not pay any fees to anyone. I recommend using this tool.
    Last edited by philjo2; 09-07-2019 at 7:45 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Jul 19, 11:23 PM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It just goes on to say about commission and that this is their final decision. I've got the full text if you want it.
    Originally posted by GraBaBargain
    Contact the Bank for clarification. Act with haste, the deadline is close.
    • GraBaBargain
    • By GraBaBargain 10th Jul 19, 12:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GraBaBargain
    Contact the Bank for clarification. Act with haste, the deadline is close.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I will do. Thanks again for your advice.
    • BOUKIE
    • By BOUKIE 10th Jul 19, 8:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BOUKIE
    I had an account with littlewoods 19 years ago and I knew I had paid PPI on that account. Luckily I had kept old statements and had all the information in black and white.Thanks to your advise my claim was successful after a few months arguing and littlewoods trying to find loop holes all the way. I got a payment of £2,772.48 👍😁
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 10th Jul 19, 9:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    Thanks Sonof. Although little, they would have taken me overdraft limit . I just donít know whether to push that at outset or wait and see what they offer re PPI and then bring that into the equation any thoughts? Donít want to over complicate it at the outset.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thanks Sonof. Although little, they would have taken me overdraft limit .
    Originally posted by Remortgage wannabee
    The amount would have had to be the same or more than your overdraft limit in order for it to be considered for additional refund..
    • Taranis Exe
    • By Taranis Exe 11th Jul 19, 11:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Taranis Exe
    Please help; very confused
    Firstly, thank you for any constructive help.

I took out a Mortgage in 2003 and have all documentation / bank statements to back up the following:

I was required to take out mortgage insurance with my repayments from day 1 of the mortgage. This was set at around £13 per month. This seems to be your classic PPI.

I was also talked in to taking out Accident and Sickness cover. I said at the time that I was fully employed, any sick leave would be paid and & I had the luxury of parents who could potentially support me or (at worst) take me back home if everything collapsed. They still persuaded me I needed A&S cover. This was paid separate to my mortgage payment at around £25 per month. To my shame I lost track of this and, even though I changed my mortgage provider in 2006, I continued to pay this until 2010 without any further communication from Halifax. Further the level of my repayments was now well below the amount that this policy covered. Is this also part of a PPI claim / something different / ďidiot taxĒ (I.e. not recoverable)?

Where it gets even more complicated, I have only just noticed (no judgement please) that my monthly mortgage payments totalled around £15 more that the stated fixed repayment + mortgage insurance (the £13 stated initially). I have no idea what this difference relates to and, in fact, it increased to a £24 difference within 12 months (within my 24 month fixed term). I admit I should have noticed this at the time but I was in my 20ís, single, had a good job and faith in the banking system, so honestly didnít notice the difference. Can anyone shed any light on this. Is it potentially part of a PPI claim?

Thanks again for any assistance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,615Posts Today

5,239Users online

Martin's Twitter