We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,959
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I make it ten :D

I'm going with 11 :D

maddiemay wrote: »
    I keep changing my mind, but going for 11 too

Thanks for being good sports with hen pic :T. There are 11 hens in that picture :D

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2019 at 3:57PM
    I make it ten :D in fact, until I pressed the quote button, I could only see nine :rotfl: it's a whizz of a picture, edwink :rotfl:

It's not easy to spot them because of all the fallen leaves that are a similar colour to the hens except for the white hen of course. It was one of their favourite areas to forage in and I love that pic of them.

Loved the story of the Koi Carp and the ducks Karmacat. There is a river running the length of the town near us and it's full of fish, geese and ducks. They had an island in the middle which was a safe place to sleep but I don't think that island is there anymore. We very rarely go in to the town, in fact we have not been anywhere near there since way before Christmas. I'll have to ask a friend about the island but I'm almost certain there is a statue there instead now and if that is the case that's not good for the ducks. I am glad that the village pond near you has an island for them as it is always a lot safer for the ducks at night. Do they have areas where you can sit and watch them?. I'm guessing there is as ponds are always a nice village attraction. We don't have a village pond here unfortunately which is a shame.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2019 at 11:17PM
    Really pleased you're getting some more hens edwink! :j :j And 20, gosh! :j :j Lucky, lucky hens :) Very impressed with all your fencing efforts too :j

I've sat and thought about it so much Cheery. Guess I was scared of the fox getting in again so I couldn't decide if to get anymore at one time. Hubby says I'm being daft because of all the new fencing and the additional security measures we are adding to the security we all ready had in place. I guess it was just the shock of it happening after 10 years and them being out and about on their own, wandering anywhere they felt like. Can't believe the fox managed to get in and can't believe the blooming damage he/she caused to the fences. Talking of the fox, several of our neighbours have seen a fox walking around and have said that it is limping badly. Hubby reckons that's possibly the fox that kept getting in and has injured a limb or two in doing so. If that is the fox it sounds as though he/she wont be trying to get back in anytime soon. I hate the thought of it being injured though :(. Yes I am a big softie :o especially after what that brut did to my feathered friends.

Loved your story of the egg hunt Cheery. OMG your hens do exactly as mine have done over the years. Must be a hen thing then Cheery:dance:. They are such peculiar little things aren't they?. Sounds like it is time for an omelette or two in your house with all those eggs you've found.

When we cleared the Jasmine plant that was growing over the top of our coop we found 2 piles of hens eggs on the roof. Seriously, we just couldn't believe it. The roof is around 10ft high and made of chicken wire but how the hen(s) got up there I'll never know. It could well of been two different hens but I've no idea.

Love all your hen stories Cheery because they always make me smile. You really are embracing your life with them and seem to enjoy their company even though they are a blooming pest sometimes :D You have found out for yourself now but I bet you wouldn't change them for the world would you?. Funny little things they are :)

Edwink
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2019 at 4:59PM
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Love all the updates from you and Cheery. We do have enough space in what we call "the extra Garden" an area bought by a previous owner that runs behind next door's garden and extends from ours, but we spend several weeks away each summer and have no one to look after hens, (Mr MM was not too keen anyway:( but might have been talked round if it had been practical).

Aww that's a shame maddiemay as you seem quite keen on getting some. It's difficult when only one of you would like to get some but the other is not interested in doing so.:(

We are fortunate in that we have a hen sitter that we pay to come in and care for ours. She is a retired friend and is happy to drive over and look after them for us. We don't go away a lot and as a rule if we do it might only be for a few days at a time but it is always reassuring to know that she is so reliable.

It is so nice of you to join in with our thread and I'm glad you are enjoying our updates. We have a few posters now that don't have hens but join in which I think is so lovely. Thank you to all of you because you all help tick this thread along nicely :kisses3:

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Edwink, can I ask about your hen sitter? Mr Cheery is REALLY reluctant to leave ours with anyone and so we haven't both been away at the same time since we got them over 10 months ago :o

We know someone who does dog sitting, and who would come in and feed them, but obviously they'd have to be shut in their run all day and that's what he doesn't like. We could possibly get someone we know to come and stay (although we've not yet found anyone to do that) but then I'm not sure he'd trust anyone to put them back in early enough in the evening :o

At this rate I can't see us ever being able to go on holiday ever again :o:o Mind you we haven't actually been on holiday for 4 years anyway, but still :rotfl:

So does your sitter just pop in, or stay, or what?
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 12:03AM
    Edwink, can I ask about your hen sitter? Mr Cheery is REALLY reluctant to leave ours with anyone and so we haven't both been away at the same time since we got them over 10 months ago :o

We know someone who does dog sitting, and who would come in and feed them, but obviously they'd have to be shut in their run all day and that's what he doesn't like. We could possibly get someone we know to come and stay (although we've not yet found anyone to do that) but then I'm not sure he'd trust anyone to put them back in early enough in the evening :o

At this rate I can't see us ever being able to go on holiday ever again :o:o Mind you we haven't actually been on holiday for 4 years anyway, but still :rotfl:

So does your sitter just pop in, or stay, or what?

Hi Cheery

Our lovely hen sitter stayed at ours for the first few visits and then after that she felt confident enough to go back home. Her routine would be that she comes in the morning, gets them all out, feeds them, changes their water and makes sure they are all well, then goes home. In the evening before it gets dark she comes back, gives them their supper and whilst they are eating that she gives them a fresh layer of bedding for the night and changes all the water containers and when they have finished eating she locks them up.

We have never allowed them out of the coop if we are away Cheery and always feel that it is just a couple of days or so that they are in there. Our coup is 24ft x 16ft so quite a good size and normally plenty of room for any amount we have kept here over the years. We hang all sorts up for them from the roof of the coop like sweetcorn, lettuce, cabbage and broccoli which would keep them entertained.

It was much safer for them that we kept them in the coop whilst away and normally just a few times or so a year. Lots of hens are kept in coops all the time and they are fine but I know you and I allow ours to free range because that is the life we prefer for them. They are very lucky hens Cheery considering the horrible lives they had before being rehomed. I am sure yours would not mind being kept in the coop for a while as long as they have food every day, fresh water and of course some treats. If you do decide to go away if you can I would maybe put a bucket of male urine somewhere near your coop and hang a piece of clothing that Mr Cheery has worn for a few days on the coop just as a safe guard against predators and to hopefully give you peace of mind whilst you are away.

Our hen sitter texts us to let us know they are all tucked up in the evening and texts us again in the morning to say they are all out and well. Bless her she is so good. We do pay her but we also always leave her a gift or two on our kitchen table from the girls so she see's it as soon as she lets herself in. I often think she is happier with the gifts than with the money :rotfl:

I hope all my waffle is some help to you Cheery. Oh another thing (more waffle ;)). I obviously showed her where everything was kept for them before the very first time she looked after them but I also wrote everything down for her in step by step instructions so she wouldn't have to worry so she just followed my list which she did say was most helpful on for her first few visits and gave her confidence.

Let me know if you need anymore advice Cheery and remember we all need a break away from time to time don't we? :D. We would let ours out of their coop as soon as we got home and it's was as if we had not been away, honestly they were fine. Maybe spend one night away somewhere at a friends or with family and build up the days away from there as that will give you more confidence with leaving them with a hen sitter.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks edwink, that's useful. I'm sure they'd be fine in the coop too, although ours is rather smaller than yours (about 12ft by 6ft I think), but then we do only have 5 hens!

We did actually go away for the night recently, but we were both I'll, and as we were meant to be camping, and only 40 mins drive from home, we gave up and came home again :rotfl: we were meant to be away this weekend too but that's been cancelled too. We'll make it one day!

Meant to say we tried to give ours some tinned sweetcorn the other day, after you said yours were always so enthusiastic. Were they interested? NO. They picked up a few pieces then put them back down again and ignored them :rotfl: we'll eat it ourselves next time!

Funny little creatures!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edwink wrote: »
    Loved the story of the Koi Carp and the ducks Karmacat. ... I am glad that the village pond near you has an island for them as it is always a lot safer for the ducks at night. Do they have areas where you can sit and watch them?. I'm guessing there is as ponds are always a nice village attraction. We don't have a village pond here unfortunately which is a shame.
    Yes, there's a little seating area just off the pavement, and a lane at one side. Most of the pond is actually people's back gardens, which is weird but very green. There's a heron that pops in from time to time as well. The ducks sit in a variety of places: a ramp into the water (unused), the aerators (used twice a day!), the pond filter (a big metal grille) ... they're fascinating. At my own house, its just LBB (Little Brown Birds :rotfl:) making beelines for the big plant saucer, 18" across, that acts as a bird bath.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2019 at 11:08PM
    Yes, there's a little seating area just off the pavement, and a lane at one side. Most of the pond is actually people's back gardens, which is weird but very green. There's a heron that pops in from time to time as well. The ducks sit in a variety of places: a ramp into the water (unused), the aerators (used twice a day!), the pond filter (a big metal grille) ... they're fascinating. At my own house, its just LBB (Little Brown Birds :rotfl:) making beelines for the big plant saucer, 18" across, that acts as a bird bath.

Sounds lovely Karmacat. I'm now trying to work out how it is part of peoples back gardens. I'm trying to picture it but it's difficult to do.

We have a local heron down by the canal, you can easily spot him when driving past. He just stands there looking all grand and absolutely beautiful. When he flies off it is surprising how big his wing span is. One landed by our old smaller pond once and I didn't notice he was there when I opened the gate and when he saw me he took off and boy did he make me jump. He was much bigger close up than I expected him to be.

How sweet calling the birds that visit your garden LBB (Little Brown Birds). Think I should call our visiting birds that too now :D. We love watching them having a bath flicking water everywhere and find them fascinating to watch. We have little Goldfinches, a pair of Bullfinches, Blue tits, Great tits, long tailed tits, a single Jay, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks and occasionally a beautiful Woodpecker visits. Hubby makes sure there is plenty of food for all of them all because we grow all our veg organically so need them to visit to get rid of all the insects for us :D Mind you they didn't do a very good job looking after our kale last year because that was absolutely covered in bugs, maybe I should have a quiet word with them about that :rotfl:

Edwink
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2019 at 12:44AM
    Thanks edwink, that's useful. I'm sure they'd be fine in the coop too, although ours is rather smaller than yours (about 12ft by 6ft I think), but then we do only have 5 hens!

Meant to say we tried to give ours some tinned sweetcorn the other day, after you said yours were always so enthusiastic. Were they interested? NO. They picked up a few pieces then put them back down again and ignored them :rotfl: we'll eat it ourselves next time! Funny little creatures!

We've had 30 hens and ducks all together in our coop Cheery whilst we've been away. Think they might have got a bit fed up with each other if it was for a week or two but for a few days they were absolutely fine. As you say although your coop is smaller you only have 5 hens so yours is plenty big enough if you go away. Another thing you can do is to scatter some bedding on the ground for them and throw on a few handfuls of crushed mealworms if they like them. If you crush them in to tiny pieces it will take them ages to gobble all the pieces up and keep them more than occupied.

My god Cheery how can your hens not like sweetcorn?. They are having a laugh I'm sure of it because I've never heard of hens not liking it. What a fussy lot you have :rotfl: How about peas, have you tried those? :rotfl:

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback