Cost Of New Boiler & Central Heating System

Options
Hi, I'm wondering what price range I should be expecting to pay for a new boiler and central heating system installed in a standard two bed terrace? I'm looking at the more compact boilers so I can have it put in a kitchen cupboard.

I am thinking about the Worcester Greenstar 25Si Compact and 5 radiators (kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and bathroom towel rail). I'm in West Yorkshire.

What kind of price range should I be expecting this to be?

One plumber in the past suggested I buy the parts (boiler/radiator/valves) as online these can often be found cheaper than at the plumbers merchants, has anyone done this to save costs?

Comments

• sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our quotes ranged from 4.5k for 6 rads, zoned thermostats, all part L (?) compliance, full copper piping, insulated underfloor pipework, pipes chased into walls and mid range compact boiler to 2.8k for 6 rads, some plastic pipework, not so good boiler but fine, no chasing. This was a young lad just starting out so v cheap but unknown quality.

We went for pretty good boiler, plastic pipe below floor, copper where visible,no chasing but only two exposed pipes which I boxed in. None of the stuff you are supposed to have done like the zoning etc. I was selling so I wanted a good enough job but wasnt fussed about perfection. This was 3.2k from a local reliable lad who came recommended. All fitted in a day and a half, empty house though. We paid a bit extra for a rush job which he fitted in on a weekend. North East.
  • sgun
    Options
    sgun wrote: »
    Our quotes ranged from 4.5k for 6 rads, zoned thermostats, all part L (?) compliance, full copper piping, insulated underfloor pipework, pipes chased into walls and mid range compact boiler to 2.8k for 6 rads, some plastic pipework, not so good boiler but fine, no chasing. This was a young lad just starting out so v cheap but unknown quality.

We went for pretty good boiler, plastic pipe below floor, copper where visible,no chasing but only two exposed pipes which I boxed in. None of the stuff you are supposed to have done like the zoning etc. I was selling so I wanted a good enough job but wasnt fussed about perfection. This was 3.2k from a local reliable lad who came recommended. All fitted in a day and a half, empty house though. We paid a bit extra for a rush job which he fitted in on a weekend. North East.

A friend of ours did go down the route of buying it all themselves bar the boiler, it didn't make much difference in the price, a couple of hundred though so if you aren't in a hurry like we were you might want to go down this route. They did get a fair bit wrong and had to have one radiator replaced after a few weeks as it wasnt big enough.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They got a fair bit wrong and you paid £3.2k and he was just a young lad starting out

it all sounds great
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • sgun
    Options
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    They got a fair bit wrong and you paid £3.2k and he was just a young lad starting out

it all sounds great

Eh? That doesnt make any sense at all. I have no issues with peoples age, we didn't use him as he hadn't got any recommendations yet.

Our installer didn't do anything wrong, that comment was regarding my friends who ordered wrong items when they tried to do it online themselves.

Not really sure what your point was. I gave the OP three prices, for varying levels of quality and an example of what might go wrong if you order the items yourself. Which is exactly what they asked for in their OP. You on the other hand haven't even read my replies properly and have contributed nothing to the thread so maybe go and troll somewhere else?
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sgun wrote: »
    None of the stuff you are supposed to have done like the zoning etc

So he lied to Gas Safe & Building Control then, let's hope the people you sold your house to don't ask for an inspection, not a very good start for a young lads career
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • sgun
    Options
    So he lied to Gas Safe & Building Control then, let's hope the people you sold your house to don't ask for an inspection, not a very good start for a young lads career

Umm no... you don't need to have zoning done when you are replacing an old system, only when it is entirely new. We had a partial wet heating system in previously so we didn't need to comply with all the regs that would be needed if starting from scratch e.g. with all electric heating or similar. I'm surprised you dont know this. Our buyers are more than happy with the work.

We didn't use the cheapest installer who happened to be a young lad just starting out. I have no issues with anyones age and I'm sure he would have been competent. We used someone who was recommended by several people in our village. Not sure why you are struggling to understand this.

We have building control sign off and of course our installer is gas safe registered. I really have no idea what point you are trying to make but I hope there have been some useful pointers in this thread for the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure