Voluntary redundancy vs Investigation

A friend of mine was recently accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a senior female colleague which resulted in his quick promotion over the 12 years in the organisation.
He is gay and is adamant such a thing never happened however in a meeting today, that was questioned and the new boss has told him because he didn’t declare the extent of their friendship (there was nothing to it), they have lost trust in him and would like him to leave. The boss also said even if there was an investigation, the end result would be the same.

So, that was this morning and this afternoon they’ve offered him 8 months pay (net) and to pay the early return fee of the company car with the finance company. - they said he had until 9am tomorrow morning to accept or it would be a full investigation and that this mornings meeting was to “protect his dignity” - again, implying his wrong doing.

It’s all very rushed despite this being a well known government funded body, and my friend is worried about accepting the proposal in case it looks like an admission of guilt.

No procedure was put in place and he feels the new boss is just trying to get rid and intimidate him from going through an investigation. Should he accept and walk away or is this completely wrong?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have to assume that his workplace are not aware that he is gay, otherwise the whole thing is a complete nonsense. In any case what would an investigation find?

Unless the senior female colleague has made a (possibly libellous and untrue) statement detailing their "relationship" or there are reliable witnesses to untoward behaviour between the pair, this would seem an absolute non-starter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2019 at 9:27PM
    I suppose every man has his price, but if I were him and being offered 8 months pay to just go I'd 'reluctantly' accept... they sound pretty !!!! to work for anyway.

ETA I'd want an agreed reference as well.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,017
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is your friend in a Trade Union? If so maybe he should go and seek their advice. Without knowing all the facts, this could be a good offer or a poor one for your friend to take.

The dots are not joining up in my head and I feel something isn't quite right here (nothing to do with the op).
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family