Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onasc
    • By onasc 30th Jun 19, 11:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    onasc
    Smoking in the kitchen
    • 30th Jun 19, 11:23 PM
    Smoking in the kitchen 30th Jun 19 at 11:23 PM
    Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
    I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
    I was told I am being unfair. Am I right?
Page 2
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 1st Jul 19, 7:20 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    melanzana
    Why haven't you told them to leave if they don't like it. Man/Woman up here! We all love a thread where people's dander is up too. Well done.

Forget about the Nanny State brigade who hate anything to do with smoking but probably drop little baby off to nursery/school, then go to work in a 4x4. Not to mention those who object but have their little darlings in buggies low down close to street traffic emissions almighty.

I don't smoke, but I can tolerate it, it's a free country last time I looked, but I would invite the so called adult family members to leave now.

The thread will explode in a few minutes. Well done OP.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 1st Jul 19, 7:27 PM
    • 13,772 Posts
    • 11,103 Thanks
    unholyangel
    While I do think your house your rules, that depends on who the family members are - ie spouse & child where its their home too despite not contributing to bills or siblings/cousins who are only supposed to be staying temporarily.

That being said, I smoked years ago and would never have smoked in the kitchen (or bathroom for that matter). I do second what others have said about it coating stuff. Take a steam cleaner to it or use a diluted bleach spray and it will show just how coated everything gets.

I'm not one of the ex-smokers who hate it though. I don't enjoy the smell of it but it doesn't bother me when friends/family smoke.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 1st Jul 19, 7:40 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 4,854 Thanks
    Marvel1
    I'm sure there are worse things lying around the kitchen than smoke.
    • kev_min
    • By kev_min 1st Jul 19, 7:41 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    kev_min
    Your house, your rules..if they dont like it they can go do one!

Kinda reminds me of the time i was giving one of my sisters a lift somewhere and she complained about me having a `puff in my car...she got given two options..shut up or get out and walk....
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 1st Jul 19, 7:47 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    melanzana
    Brexit and anti smoking are the new cults/religions now.

It allows some of those with low self esteem to pretend they have power over everyone else. They don't.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Jul 19, 9:49 AM
    • 23,182 Posts
    • 62,640 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by melanzana
    I don't think anti smoking is a 'new' anything.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 2nd Jul 19, 1:21 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    HampshireH

Originally posted!by!melanzana
    Is it? My other half smoke but outside. Always outside whatever the weather. He will smoke in others houses if they do and he is invited.

But not ours. Not anti smoking either. Just prefer my walls white and the house to smell fresh rather than of lingering nicotine
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 3rd Jul 19, 6:21 AM
    • 20,288 Posts
    • 47,039 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I think I'd find smoking in the bathroom a more acceptable place than the kitchen.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Eeewww, no.!

There is an even worse kind of nastiness when smoking in a bathroom, the water does something to the smell that makes it cling to everything even more that elsewhere and the stench is disgusting. You get out of a bath/shower nice and clean and the smell grabs everything. Foul, foul, foul.

I hate with a passion going into toilets where someone has been smoking kit makes me feel physically sick.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 3rd Jul 19, 4:48 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Takmon
    Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
    I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
    Originally posted by onasc
    Smoking inside a house is disgusting because it makes everything smell and go off colour. I don't think you should ever smoke in a house and should always smoke outside.

I don't think it matters if it's your house or not it's about being considerate to the people you live with. If you don't care about how your family members feel by your actions then that says a lot about the type of person you are.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jul 19, 4:56 PM
    • 23,182 Posts
    • 62,640 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Eeewww, no.!

There is an even worse kind of nastiness when smoking in a bathroom, the water does something to the smell that makes it cling to everything even more that elsewhere and the stench is disgusting. You get out of a bath/shower nice and clean and the smell grabs everything. Foul, foul, foul.

I hate with a passion going into toilets where someone has been smoking kit makes me feel physically sick.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I was thinking fully tiled, nicotine not seeping into the walls.
    Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.
    It really was just a snapshot observation.

I can't recollect going into a toilet where someone has been smoking for many years.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 4th Jul 19, 8:28 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Originally posted by onasc
    Most definitely your house your rules, your all adults and they are lucky you confine it to the kitchen, your house so you could effectively smoke where ever the hell you wanted.
    If they contribute nothing to the house (you say you pay all bills) then frankly its a case of they have zero say in anything you do, and if they dont like it ask them to jog on!
    Even family have no right to sponge off someone while dictating how someone should live , how entitled are they!!
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 4th Jul 19, 8:33 AM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 7,259 Thanks
    bouicca21
    OP hasnít been back since the first post, so definitely a troll.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 4th Jul 19, 8:36 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Are you adult family members paying to stay with you?
    By your tone I'm led to assume tht they are getting a pretty good deal by living with you (reduced costs etc.). I agree with some of the posters here, your house your rules, however I would say if you are charging people to live with you then a degree of compromise would be useful.
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Jul 19, 10:46 AM
    • 8,813 Posts
    • 31,137 Thanks
    Primrose
    I don't know who your other family members are - perhps you would tell us, and yes, if its your house and you pay all the bills I suppose you are within your legal rights to assert your right to do this.

but do you feel you have the moral right to inflict such an unhygenic habit on your other family members and risk exposing them to cancer? That's what you have to ask yourself.

No use crying at their bedside as they die of cancer if theres a possibility you may have contributed to it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 04-07-2019 at 2:45 PM.
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 4th Jul 19, 11:40 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    Are you right? Maybe. It's your house, you pay for it, you can do as you please.

However, asserting your "right" when you share the house with others is beyond common manners and decency. Of course you shouldn't
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 4th Jul 19, 12:02 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Are you right? Maybe. It's your house, you pay for it, you can do as you please.

However, asserting your "right" when you share the house with others is beyond common manners and decency. Of course you shouldn't
    Originally posted by stripeyfox
    You'd only be right if they contributed, it appears they dont, so they have zero right to ask anything of her/him in their own home.
    They are lucky they have a roof over there freeloading heads.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 4th Jul 19, 5:01 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    You'd only be right if they contributed, it appears they dont, so they have zero right to ask anything of her/him in their own home.
    They are lucky they have a roof over there freeloading heads.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    What if itís their minor child?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Jul 19, 8:49 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    Robisere
    Op not resurfaced, probably one of those trolls who posts something to cause controversy, then takes a look and a sly laugh at all the comments.

I smoked years ago, well before the first warnings were ever issued. I gave up after I coughed myself into vomiting and I did it "cold turkey". No patches or chews then. Best thing I ever did after meeting my missus, but I won't criticise your choice to smoke: it's your life and your health.

Several things I remember: a woman telling me that she could not snog anyone who tasted like an old ashtray, then my brother, dad, nephew, Fil all dying of lung cancer, all smokers.

Your house, your rules, your life.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 4th Jul 19, 9:47 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Whats a minor child?
    Originally posted by Organza_Lace

A child who has not reached the age of majority. 18 in the UK.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 4th Jul 19, 10:29 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 4,854 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Smoking inside a house is disgusting because it makes everything smell and go off colour. I don't think you should ever smoke in a house and should always smoke outside.

I don't think it matters if it's your house or not it's about being considerate to the people you live with. If you don't care about how your family members feel by your actions then that says a lot about the type of person you are.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    Yes as opposed to the family members who don't contribute to the bills in the OP's house
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,030Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter