Smoking in the kitchen

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Of course it's fine...

if you don't mind people coming to the conclusion you're selfish and inconsiderate :D

(Calling wind-up post anyway as these controversial first posts are rarely genuine.)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Of course it's fine...

if you don't mind people coming to the conclusion you're selfish and inconsiderate :D

(Calling wind-up post anyway as these controversial first posts are rarely genuine.)

Just beat me to wondering if the school holidays had started early.:cool:
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think it's selfish at all. I'm not a smoker but I'd imagine smoking outside at this time of year is fine, but during the winter? It must be miserable.

I get the impression from the OPs post that if they wanted to live elsewhere they could but stay there because it's financially beneficial to them. As you say your house, your rules and if they don't like your rules they can find somewhere else to live. People have only reacted like this because it's smoking, if it was just about anything else they'd be telling your relatives to put up with it.

Who are the relatives and why do they live with you?
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think post is probably a wind-up but for what it is worth....

I smoked for many years before finally seeing sense and quitting the habit but whilst I smoked in some rooms in the house I didn't smoke in the kitchen or upstairs in/near the bedroom just because it didn't sit well with me. My husband (who quit some years before I did) had no issues about me smoking anywhere I liked (bless him) but there you go.

In the case of the OP, if post is genuine, I suppose it really does depend on who the other adults are and what the set-up is. We have insufficient information to comment really.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Just beat me to wondering if the school holidays had started early.:cool:

Think we have moved on from school uniforms and toilet breaks?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Yes you are right, your house your rules, they don't like it, they can move out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    I tend to smoke outside except when its really really cold and then I smoke near an open window. Not ideal for them or me, but a compromise. I must admit I keep the lounge windows open unless there's icicles on the window frame because I want to keep the ill effects of my habit off others as much as I can. But yes, it is my house etc etc.

Not perfect but the best compromise I can do.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why do you have two adults living with you - yet you pay for everything? Relatives or not, why the heck are they not contributing, are they ill??

I am not sure this is a wind up, I think it is a regular poster with new identity
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    -taff wrote: »
    People die from cancer from secondary smoke. You're putting your family members at risk. Smoke outside.

Whilst there is no doubt of the health risks of smoking amongst other things like drinking etc.
    Of all but two the people I know who have died from a cancer illness never smoked in their lives that I know of.
    I agree with not smoking in the kitchen, but I also agree with the anti preach move of the householder.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Why haven't you told them to leave if they don't like it. Man/Woman up here! We all love a thread where people's dander is up too. Well done.

Forget about the Nanny State brigade who hate anything to do with smoking but probably drop little baby off to nursery/school, then go to work in a 4x4. Not to mention those who object but have their little darlings in buggies low down close to street traffic emissions almighty.

I don't smoke, but I can tolerate it, it's a free country last time I looked, but I would invite the so called adult family members to leave now.

The thread will explode in a few minutes. Well done OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure