Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 30th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    • 6,481Posts
    • 8,413Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Cat - three hairballs in a fortnight, doesn’t normally get them
    • 30th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    Cat - three hairballs in a fortnight, doesn’t normally get them 30th Jun 19 at 5:31 AM
    Should I be worried? Kitty is 7 years old. We’ve had him since age 2. He’s had maybe two hairballs come up in five years.

Now we’ve had three large ones (think dead mouse sized!) in about two weeks.

Totally fine and normal otherwise - eating/toileting/behaving normally.

He did have a fever and runny eyes/nose a week or so ago but the vet thought that was a slight bout of cat flu as it’s happened before and he could have had it in rescue in a kitten. Antibiotics cleared it right up.

Anyway I’ve googled and not really found anything on cats suddenly having lots of hairballs where they didn’t used to get them. Or maybe he’s just bringing up five years worth of hair!!

Any experienced kitty owners got any thoughts?
Page 1
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 30th Jun 19, 5:52 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 7,814 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 30th Jun 19, 5:52 AM
    • 30th Jun 19, 5:52 AM
    Hi
    I should think it’s the weather causing him to groom more often so causing more hair balls. If you think it’s a problem the vet is always there to help though.
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend Ł912.47/Ł2000
    August grocery spend Ł69.07
    • _shel
    • By _shel 30th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 4,055 Thanks
    _shel
    • 30th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 30th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    One of mine brings them up every other day. He's probably fine but you could help by grooming him frequently to get rid of loose hair before he swallows it.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 30th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 5,998 Thanks
    Brambling
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    You can get expensive stuff from the vet to help ease them down but my lovely vet (sadly now retired) told me to buy sardines in olive oil as it was cheaper. I knew my cat was using the litter tray ok, as she would come in to use it so there was no worry of a blockage.

she had really thick fur and was always grooming herself so I also brushed her every day especially during the spring and summer
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 30th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 7,626 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    As it is abnormal for your cat I would have a chat with the vet by phone/ email at least.

I think extra grooming (by you) and some hairball paste would be a good place to start.

Unless it persists despite treatment or additional gastro symptoms develop I wouldn't be too worried
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 30th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 30th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    When I had a cat, we fed him tuna once a week to help the hairballs pass.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 30th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 6,481 Posts
    • 8,413 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 30th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 30th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    Thanks all. He has hairball paste (when we remember *ahem*) so we are now making extra sure that’s every day. We also brush him most days yet we’ve still been hoovering LOADS of his fur so could just be the season. Surprised he’s got any left!

We’ll keep an eye and give the vet a ring if it carries on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,363Posts Today

7,036Users online

Martin's Twitter