Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tennishead
    • By Tennishead 5th Mar 19, 10:45 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Tennishead
    Women paying more for equivalent toiletries
    • 5th Mar 19, 10:45 AM
    Women paying more for equivalent toiletries 5th Mar 19 at 10:45 AM
    I watched the Victoria Derbyshire programme this morning where a campaign against the 'pink tax' was highlighted. It seems women are being charged more for equivalent products, even with the same brand name, like antiperspirants, razors etc. I wasn't aware of this.

If you are broke, or just don't like being ripped off, maybe it is time to head for the men's toiletries aisles until industry sees sense!

Watch here, it is the last few minutes of the programme starting at 53:07 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000315s/victoria-derbyshire-05032019
Page 1
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Mar 19, 1:04 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 5th Mar 19, 1:04 PM
    • 5th Mar 19, 1:04 PM
    If you are broke, or just don't like being ripped off, maybe it is time to head for the men's toiletries aisles until industry sees sense! [/URL]
    Originally posted by Tennishead
    Don't forget the pink razors too...

If the product is genuinely interchangeable - then go for the best value. Applies to all genders and combinations. And there are plenty of "family" products which are not particularly gendered and may well be better value.

The reality is that as long as there are women who fall for the advertising - or believe that it's important to have pink packaging on their bathroom shelves - companies will make them, charge more for them and make a profit on them.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Mar 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Mar 19, 1:15 PM
    • 5th Mar 19, 1:15 PM
    Meh! Are we now going to compain that the brands are more expensive that ALDI's own product.

The razors at least are different (more mousturising strips etc), so not a great comparision.

Also in certain areas I have found woman's products to be cheaper and have no issue buying them (I am a man).

Also where is the Kitchen spray cheaper than Bathroom spray despite them being the same rage.

Can I now complain that womens clothing ideas of old are infiltrating mens clothing? (I cannot find a coat with dececnt sized real pockets).

It's not a conspiracy just the market taking what the market will. Well at lerast in 90% of the cases (feel free to evidence personal nitpicks! Always interesting).
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 6th Mar 19, 7:56 AM
    • 21,647 Posts
    • 220,732 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 6th Mar 19, 7:56 AM
    • 6th Mar 19, 7:56 AM
    Seriously? For years I have simply been buying the best value anti perspirants, regardless of whether they are aimed at men or women. Quite frankly I have never thought that there was a real reason for them to be either "male" or "female" apart from the addition of scent to some of them, and no-one has ever turned round and told me it smells like I am wearing a "male" anti-perspirant, in fact I think it is very unlikely that said scent would be detectable under clothes!

Manufacturers will always find ways of getting extra money out of people. I have a friend who used to use those lenor unstoppable things until she came to mine and helped me get some bedding out and said "I smell you use the unstoppables too", I then dug out the bar of soap I keep in the ottoman (I keep one in all drawers too). I have been doing this for years and it has the same effect. She now does the same

So, if someone tries to get me to spend extra money I am immediately suspicious and look at the cheaper ways of doing things, I do not care whether it says a specific gender on the packaging, that gets ignored.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Mar 19, 1:21 PM
    • 7,061 Posts
    • 7,773 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 6th Mar 19, 1:21 PM
    • 6th Mar 19, 1:21 PM
    I can't view the iplayer link as I don't have a TV licence, but I would hope that any campaign is focussed on educating the women who purchase these items so that they don't feel they need to buy them rather than the manufacturers of these products.
    • ipod killed the musicshop
    • By ipod killed the musicshop 6th Mar 19, 5:12 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 1,941 Thanks
    ipod killed the musicshop
    • 6th Mar 19, 5:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 19, 5:12 PM
    Nothing is going to change if we don't change. If the "men's" deodorant is cheaper, buy it. As for Razors, well Januhairy is a good start. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Vodafone let off millions in tax, George Osborne avoids tax, Tories wanted to give a tax break to the richest 3000 estates in the country. If you believe the cuts are because of the deficit, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 6th Mar 19, 11:41 PM
    • 40,819 Posts
    • 317,506 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 6th Mar 19, 11:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 19, 11:41 PM
    I watched the Victoria Derbyshire programme this morning where a campaign against the 'pink tax' was highlighted. It seems women are being charged more for equivalent products, even with the same brand name, like antiperspirants, razors etc. I wasn't aware of this.
    Originally posted by Tennishead
    Been featured on MSE ages ago with product comparisons and reported in the media at least 3 years ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/women-paying-more-than-men-for-everyday-product-thanks-to-unacceptable-gender-price-gap-a6820816.html
    Internet goodness 26875
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,679Users online

Martin's Twitter