The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,512
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another early one for DG hence why I'm awake I'll get earlier train too so busy with the strike at least Thursday is ok now.

No spend yesterday beginning to really love that concept so wanted a coffee got quidco money converted to Costa voucher so all set to redeem except there isn't aCosta near ny work. I walked past a Nero but didn't go in so really does work nsd.

Friend confirmed it's ok to stay with him (even if he had forgotten) and got telephone number for my tenant to arrange to put stuff on loft. Will gift some of my garden stuff to my friend can't put too much in the loft.

No news re flats I'll call today after lunch also should get notice from this company that we haven't paid this month. Let the fun begin. Really hope that is more flats coming on as would still love a two bed would solve everything.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    A bit gloomy here today, my tenant says the oven doesn't work I'm hoping it's just a setting on the inter but if it isn't new oven and hob it's 23 years old so done well. Should get new extractor as well it's not great but we shall see at least I'm going down Saturday.

Also no two beds on offer they are happy for us to ring up and ask if any has come in so I'll so this Friday lunchtime. There is usually viewings Saturdays so we shall see not looking good though might be stuck in one bed with expensive storage. Finding stuff we want from here I can see that storage unit getting bigger. Things like stand alone grill (industrial but its great, shelving system real heavy duty, blinds, room dividing full length track with curtains etc etc).

Work ok fine actually line managing three people now (one yet to start) and I had help from a lovely law student volunteer today she was great got loads done ready for Monday and was able to run my first stat. So cool the new crm system,

Tired after the two early wake up calls tomorrow I'm the one getting up before DG as she's off on her trip. She'll be back Monday late I shall really miss her but I've got my weekend down South well overnight so that's cool.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Feels weird being at home alone don't think I'll stay up late tonight but don't have an early start tomorrow either.

Email from new guardian company could we collect the keys soon as they would like us to move in. Going to get them Tuesday but still calling Monday to see if that have any new ones. They have taken their advert off zoopla now so I think that is it for a while. Maybe just move in and tell myself it's 6 months and then look to move again. Will be exciting to start moving in and seeing the place again been a while.

Work still going well now going to be line ,managing 3 people which is fab. Busy but not too bad got a lot of meetings coming up. Good days training today and also launch my new system part one. Well received.

DG just landed so calling later she's with her mum and best friend seeing her mums new house. It's not ready for occupation but will be at some point which is when I will go out there.

Spent £3 on lunch nothing naughty bought which is good
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Expensive day treated myself to lunch out £10 and chelates and ice cream £13 for later feel sorry for myself having a cold and being all alone.

Was fed up as loads of rubbish has happened.

My cooked failed gas certificate so need new one which is fine but poor tenant
    My tenant hasn't replied to my txt about me coming over to drop some stuff off
    Storage unit is so expensive but we have to get keys and live with one bed
    Got a rotten cold feel crap
    Bit awkward day at work
    Worried I won't fit everything in my car tomorrow and I have to ditch two large plants I really like
    Crappy guardian company has taken our large bin away guess they have not paid the bill.

So this evening I saw one of my house mates he's got a place to live moving same weekend as us. He's quite happy to help each other and we can share van hire. He's also got a lock up garage nearby he only uses half off so he would let me use the other half would be a lot lot cheaper than my storage unit. He said for me to go and take a look which is well cool. He's not paid his rent either. He's going to chase crappy guardian company.

Feel a lot better after that really good news. Feel now I can look forward to the one bed and not have to move in a rush again soon.

Look forward to seeing my friend and my old cats tomorrow hopefully I will feel better.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Had a really nice weekend got to speak to my tenant agency had wrong number for her and cooker still broken plus there is a leak in the bathroom and some lights doesn't work. Garden does look better and it was good to see someone else's furniture in there so I didn't remember it as mine. She said she really liked it and would look after it. I got my stuff in the loft and rehomed my favourite plant with my friends.

Lots of cat cuddles from both boys plus there cat and the dog, lovely dinner and no alcohol plus lovely dog walk on the beach this morning stunning weather too.

Got some boxes and some very cheap bits for the new flat £50 in total but boxes much needed.

Saw father in law looking frail but had just fallen again and hurt his back. He wasn't his usual self didn't talk much about the business and he said he was lonely in July and August without the Lodge. I said he could just call me. We are ready to go for a stone and I'll also get him some vases to stick in the ground.

Spent quite a bit and also paid the gas call out charge for my tenant £60 but changed policy so won't had to pay in future. My tenant isn't using my washing machine but no sure it worth getting it taken up here.

Made my lunch and early meeting tomorrow so won't be long out of bed. Miss DG she'll be back tomorrow look forward to that.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a good weekend, and cat cuddles too, lucky you.
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Yes lovely cat cuddles from both of them so nice to see then settled down. Good day at work meeting at 8.30 was good but it was an early start.

Worked with law student volunteers all afternoon tired but loads of work done they pick things up so quickly real pleasure but no work of my own done.

Forgot to ring new guardian company to find out opening times for picking keys up tomorrow. DG isn't at stanstead until 11.45pm and she's got court tomorrow so she cannot do it. My cold is horrible cough too hope to feel better tomorrow. Early night I think done two loads of washing need to hang them up.

Need to make sure room is tidy DG hates untidiness but can cope with dirt and grime which I can't. Funny how different we are.

Things to do:
    Call new guardian company re collecting keys
    Change address on pet insurance
    Letter that needs signature to be picked up think it's my license
    Home insurance renewal (Landlord one)
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Evening another manic day work is really ramping up but it's very good and interesting. Trying to prepare for the move isn't easy with heavy workload and DG had to go and return her mums car tonight a very long trip and back on the train. She's not in a good place really fed up with work.

Had a battle with getting a British Gas keymeter impossible none of the shops have any and there aren't that many shops anyway. What a rubbish system clearly for the poor if it was everyone who had to do it it wouldn't be so crap. On hold for over 1/2 hour but result we get a proper meter and can pay DD on Saturday so much better. Means we cannot do any work tomorrow but I don't mind it can't wait until Saturday.

Also registered for council tax and applied for parking permit. Might have to upload evidence as we get it but tried using what I had. Still loads to do and list getting longer.

Oh yeah been to flat it's fine quite large but will stil need flatmates storage,

Call new guardian company re collecting keys done but need second key fob that's £25 robbery
    Change address on pet insurance
    Letter that needs signature to be picked up think it's my license
    Home insurance renewal (Landlord one)
    Home insurance new flat
    Change address on driving license
    Change address on V5.

Now going to catch up with bakeoff
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    So tired and glad week is over been a long long one. Busy at work looking after students very bright but three of them is a lot and I've done it all week so not got much of my own work down.

Taking the team out for lunch it's not expensive and it's nice as week just got a new member so nice welcome plus I'm taking two volunteers. Can't really have all those working on the project it gets too much.

Having a low alcohol beer only one left so that's fine. Been chocking with money not taken many lunches in but have eaten out or freezer. Need to go shopping tomorrow we don't move for two weeks so needs supplies.

Should have an earl night and then golf tomorrow before we have to be at the flat at 2pm to get new meter. Anticipate we will spend some time there cleaning and also planning everything. Starting too look forward to not having to share should be good. Old guardian company still not chased for this months month a bit strange. Meant to talk to flat mate about using his storage but not heard from him he's in his room so wanted to leave him alone.

Need to do some money shuffling make sure M&S has £1000 going in this month or I won't get the bonus.

Going to read some diaries and then rejoin DG in a bit in the lounge. Just needed a bit of me time been a long week.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Nice weekend but busy, got some stuff prepared for the move and played a bit of golf DG still not in the right frame of mind for it, getting annoying now.

Electric back on and flat is nice lots of do but I will work for us I'm sure. Need to get rid of large broken fridge freezer going to see if they will do it as we obviously don't need a broken one.

Meeting friend tomorrow haven't seen in 15 years look forward to it, she staying really near my work so glad she got in touch. We were best pals right up to A level went to school together.

Tired to early night for me.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure