Settle an agrument!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I'd say looking at it as a package (and assuming everything else to be equal) - you earn more.

You get £50K, but get travel costs worth £10K

Your friend earns £55K, but (presumably) has £10K travel costs.

So after travel costs are removed, you've £50K and your friend has £45K.

Hes very foolish if hes looking at only salary when he looks at a job. Its about the overall package (but i suspect he knows that and is just trying to big himself up a bit)

Why would the travel costs be £10K if the grossed up value is £10k.

Then there is the BIK factor
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why would the travel costs be £10K if the grossed up value is £10k.

Then there is the BIK factor

He said he travels by train, so presumably the train ticket will cost them both the same?
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your friend earns more. You have a good benefit.

If you were to move I would look at your salary as it is and look at an increase. I would also then look at the company benefits package, but separately.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Do people really have the "my salary is bigger than your salary" conversations???

Isn't that a bit like the "my willy is bigger than your willy" conversations?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    Do people really have the "my salary is bigger than your salary" conversations???

I really hope SHE doesn't have a willy!
  • I!!!8217;d say it comes down to your take home pay.

Your travel costs are technically never seen.

Therefore they take home more than you in actual pay but have more direct costs in terms of travel.
  • MarkN88 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;d say it comes down to your take home pay.

Your travel costs are technically never seen.

Therefore they take home more than you in actual pay but have more direct costs in terms of travel.

I see the logic, but if their pension contributions were higher than mine I could still take home more than them? That's why I worked it out based on the total package and not just what goes into my bank every month.
  • How does the travel bit work for you?

Do they give you this extra 10k monthly evenly distributed with your monthly salary?

Do they refund your tickets?

Or another way?

I would basically be saying, compare your wage slip, after ALL deductions who gets the most!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »

Not at all. If I discover my willy is undersized, I can't apply for a new one.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    - HOW MUCH your friend earns
    Not my place to put their salary on here, but its around 10% more than me.
    - Where you live
    - Where friend lives
    Both live in the same village and our offices are both in the same part of London
    - Transport methods used
    Train

Ok well, "both live in the same village" could mean anything!

It could mean Inchinnan near Glasgow or Abbots Langley near Watford! The annual train tickets will obviously differ depending on which village!

But to be honest, I don't really have the patience to do this. You are really just willy-waving with your friend.
    It is simple maths.

Take your gross, add on the cost of a yearly train ticket from your location and MAYBE add on the tax component for the train ticket cost (although I suspect you won't be classed as having paid tax on the cost of the train ticket, so it becomes immaterial).

Take your friend's ACTUAL gross and subtract it from your total as above.

Easy peasy. If you have any other benefits which you'd like to compare then rinse and repeat.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised how two people on 50k+ can't work that out with complete data at their disposal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure