PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Don't apologise KC, it was me who asked you on this thread how you had coped. TY for this, I can understand a lot of the things you did and why they worked. After ten years of managing and coping, I'm suddenly not.
    But I can still get on with prepping... and I am ;)
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hiya people hope everyones ok , stocked up on bottles of cold water in fridge ....refill them rather than buy.....enjoyed hols in LA.....hit my target with SW lost 5 stone in a year will maintain this....bobbin along.... you all take care
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Great post Karma Cat. I can't think of better prepping for those with similar illnesses. I am not one of those (touch wood and thank goodness) but my mother was and she would really resonate with that.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    daz 5 stone? That's amazing! Huge WELL DONE. :T Glad you enjoyed LA.

Karmacat I have ME, but now I'm officially retired it does seem better than it was...until i get overconfident and try to do too much! Sometimes I can walk down to the town centre and back, but atm I need to get the bus or have OH take me in the car.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mardatha wrote: »
    Don't apologise KC, it was me who asked you on this thread how you had coped. TY for this, I can understand a lot of the things you did and why they worked. After ten years of managing and coping, I'm suddenly not.
    But I can still get on with prepping... and I am ;)
    You've had a bad setback, Mar? :( Sorry to hear that. What about those ten years, what worked for you, what *didn't* you do (like I haven't taken supplements yet, including probiotics as well as vitamins). I know you've got the RV, but there are health problems for him too, naturally enough at our ages ...

And as for prepping - it's *more* important when you're chronically ill.
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Great post Karma Cat. I can't think of better prepping for those with similar illnesses. I am not one of those (touch wood and thank goodness) but my mother was and she would really resonate with that.
    Thanks VJsmum. And I see you already mentioned the point I made about prepping and illness :o but I'll leave it in.
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    daz 5 stone? That's amazing! Huge WELL DONE. :T Glad you enjoyed LA.
    From me too!

Karmacat I have ME, but now I'm officially retired it does seem better than it was...until i get overconfident and try to do too much! Sometimes I can walk down to the town centre and back, but atm I need to get the bus or have OH take me in the car.
    ivyleaf, I totally identify with relapses when you're overconfident and do too much. I had about two or three years when that was happening - sometimes as little as 5 minutes fast walk when I tried to exercise, it laid me up for a month. I'm glad you're retired, in any case - all of us with chronic stuff can do without the stresses of work.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I think drinking straws suck. :D

ETA: Are the stainless steel drinking straws flexible/spingy, or are they rigid?

They are solid hun. If you can, get straight ones - they take a little getting used to but are much easier to clean than the 'kinked' ones.

lurks back down.......
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Another lurch sideways, but still linked to the ongoing idea of health and keeping it.
    The Thai cave lads? Their coach is not only under 25 but is amongst the most feeble as he didn't eat to give the lads a better chance. As a lapsed Buddhist monk, he not only taught them about drinking from stalactites (clean eater dripping from above not dirty water puddling around feet) but also about meditation, so they could handle the staying still & not being terrified better.
    I confess I'd presumed coach meant like stereotypical American coach - baseball cap, paunch - I had completely forgotten this is a very different country & culture & that they are all amazingly young.
    All kindly deities watch over them, - they have lifetimes of surviving this to cope with.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    Daz - congratulations that's a great weight loss :) and I'm really glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Karmacat - I don't have CF but I do have coronary heart disease and your post really resonated with me, especially the bit about stopping pretending your illness wasn't important. I'd like to thank you for this, your comment has given me a much needed jolt and I'm going to give it a lot of very serious thought.
    Because I've been very, very fortunate and am able to live a full, active life again having recovered this is EXACTLY the trap that I've fallen into and over the past year I've slowly fallen back into bad eating and exercise habits which I'm now realising are beginning to adversely affect my health again.
    I'd cut out all sugars, most fats and all preserved and processed meats from my diet initially, after the heart attack, was walking the Ginger Ninja (border terrier) 2 to 3 miles a day and lost 4 stones. But slowly I became very blas! and convinced myself that it didn't matter if I kept the measures in place or not as it wasn't really important.
    Anyway I was wrong. I've had a serious health warning this week, and need to rethink my diet and lifestyle once again.
    However , like you, this time I'm going to take much smaller, slower steps, and hope that I can permanently embed them so that I don't keep sliding back into old habits. I'm starting with the sugar issue again tomorrow,and then going to look slowly at other aspects of my diet.
    Thank you again, it's good to have virtual friends to make you think hard about things :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh my word, Cappella - that sounds *very* challenging. I think you're right to choose the sugar to focus on first, by the way - I used to be kind of addicted to sugary products, and when I cut them out, I felt so much better its hard to describe. I didn't deal with all the issues across the board, so it didn't last, but I have no doubt in my mind that sugar, refined sugar, is a poison, and those of us surrounded by such a problematic environment as we have these days are best not to touch such concentrated carp.

Stopping putting poison into your body gives you a chance to get rid of the stores your body's already made, of course - so water becomes more important than ever. I hope you can manage to stay really well hydrated in this heat. Let us know how it goes.

We've all said it before, but I'll say it again: looking after our health is the biggest prep we can do.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    We've all said it before, but I'll say it again: looking after our health is the biggest prep we can do.

Sadly sweet things are the first port of call for me when things go pear shaped - including my figure :rotfl: and this is a challenge I've failed before, but I'm really hoping to beat those cravings one small step at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure