Ovo to Eon: smart meter issues

Hello

Wondering if someone could help: I've just switched from OVO to Eon as of yesterday. I've been trying to contact Eon as to how they can use my smart meter (which OVO have told me over the phone and online

Eon have told me they are unable to use it as it is generation 1 and they "cannot get a signal to take meter readings, it's locked to OVO"

Ovo have told me that 100% it should be possible as they had an EOn to OVO switch take place and were able to use the Eon smart meter.

My question is: who is correct if I am receiving conflicting information and told to "complain to the other supplier"? Is there someone I can raise this issue with to get a definitive answer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning lewisdicks and welcome to the forum.

I'll try and clear this up for you.

When you change supplier your smart meter will revert to being a normal meter, this means that you'll need to read this manually, [FONT=&quot]Your In-Home Display will not show you your usage in pounds and pence, it’ll only show you the kilowatt-hours (kWh) used and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the meter may not be able to report any alarms or alerts.

[/FONT]This will be the case until the DCC (Data Communications Company) is in place. I don't have a current timeframe for this.

Depending on the smart meter that you have will depend if it can be linked to the DCC when this [FONT=&quot] available[/FONT], or if you'll need a meter change to keep your meter smart when you change supplier in the future.

We're currently starting to install SMETS2 meters (Smart Metering Equipment Specification) smart meters, which makes sure all customers have smart meters with the same features and benefits and, more importantly, can be communicated with by any supplier, allowing you to change supplier without losing any smart functionality.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ogwellian
    ogwellian Posts: 19 Forumite
    We were with OVO and had their smart meters fitted, but as we're Cheap Energy Club members and switch regularly, they've never worked with other suppliers.

Total waste of money (we're all paying for them in our tariffs), for the short life they had.

We're always being told to switch and at the same time being told to get smart meters.

Won't bother again, until the unified ones are available.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ogwellian wrote: »
    We were with OVO and had their smart meters fitted, but as we're Cheap Energy Club members and switch regularly, they've never worked with other suppliers.

Total waste of money (we're all paying for them in our tariffs), for the short life they had.

We're always being told to switch and at the same time being told to get smart meters.

Won't bother again, until the unified ones are available.

The Government has instructed The Data Communications Company and suppliers to come up with technical solutions to allow foundation and SMETS1 meters to be 'grafted' on to the central hub by 2020. This will allow supplier switching.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning lewisdicks and welcome to the forum.

I'll try and clear this up for you.

When you change supplier your smart meter will revert to being a normal meter, this means that you'll need to read this manually, [FONT=&quot]Your In-Home Display will not show you your usage in pounds and pence, it’ll only show you the kilowatt-hours (kWh) used and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the meter may not be able to report any alarms or alerts.

[/FONT]This will be the case until the DCC (Data Communications Company) is in place. I don't have a current timeframe for this.

Depending on the smart meter that you have will depend if it can be linked to the DCC when this [FONT=&quot] available[/FONT], or if you'll need a meter change to keep your meter smart when you change supplier in the future.

We're currently starting to install SMETS2 meters (Smart Metering Equipment Specification) smart meters, which makes sure all customers have smart meters with the same features and benefits and, more importantly, can be communicated with by any supplier, allowing you to change supplier without losing any smart functionality.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Helena

Hi Helena, are you starting to install SMETS2 meters by areas or a national roll out, I should be on the list showing interest to change. :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

OVO and E.On use identical meters, and Ovo state this on their web site in relation to switching. There has been speculation on other Smart Meter threads as to whether or not this actually works in practice. Absolutely astonishing that it doesn't. What a farce.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So glad I ignored the Eon smart meter pests before I switched
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Hi Helena, are you starting to install SMETS2 meters by areas or a national roll out, I should be on the list showing interest to change. :beer:

Morning MoneyMate,

We're rolling them out by area, but I'm not sure of the exact stages yet.

Great to see you've registered your interest :)

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

OVO and E.On use identical meters, and Ovo state this on their web site in relation to switching. There has been speculation on other Smart Meter threads as to whether or not this actually works in practice. Absolutely astonishing that it doesn't. What a farce.

E.On's SMETS 1 system has trouble accepting meters that they themselves fitted before a customer left and returned, so I'm not surprised it won't accept another suppliers meter even if the make is the same.
    I got the feeling any bugs in the SMETS 1 system are firmly in the 'will not fix' category with efforts solely devoted to the SMETS 2 implementation going forward.

That was last October when I switched back. Wonder if it's worth prodding their smart meter team to see if anything has changed since.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Raxiel wrote: »
    I got the feeling any bugs in the SMETS 1 system are firmly in the 'will not fix' category with efforts solely devoted to the SMETS 2 implementation going forward.

Think that you are spot on -also the current rash of "reassuring" statements about adoption of SMETS1 meters into the DCC by 2020 is a load of baloney -no-one is going to prioritise that in the near future ,so it will quietly fade away!!:mad:
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Think that you are spot on -also the current rash of "reassuring" statements about adoption of SMETS1 meters into the DCC by 2020 is a load of baloney -no-one is going to prioritise that in the near future ,so it will quietly fade away!!:mad:

Eh, I think that probably will happen.
    Inevitably suppliers will be given quotas to install SMETS2, and adopting SMETS1 meters already in-situ (if it can be done remotely) may be a cheap way to pump the numbers.

A lot of hypotheticals there though.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure