Employee lied to company about new job?

2»

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My guess is that the person is worried about a clause in the contract about working for another company in the same industry...hence the rubbish excuse
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Notice is notice. The reason you give doesn't change the notice period. I wonder if he's considered that if the new employer now takes up a reference they will be told that he's left for health reasons and long term sickness - and faced with that information they might decide to withdraw the offer?

It's possible.., I think from the way he's saying it that they've offered and he's accepted and the contract has been signed etc so I'm going to assume they are going to skip references. I could be wrong though.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    StevenB12 wrote: »
    It's possible.., I think from the way he's saying it that they've offered and he's accepted and the contract has been signed etc so I'm going to assume they are going to skip references. I could be wrong though.

You are likely to be very wrong, I'm afraid. None of this makes any sense at all. How exactly are you/your friend going to explain to the management 'friends' why you aren't on sick leave with your poorly leg mending...?
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Brynsam wrote: »
    You are likely to be very wrong, I'm afraid. None of this makes any sense at all. How exactly are you/your friend going to explain to the management 'friends' why you aren't on sick leave with your poorly leg mending...?

He won't be explaining anything to them..., he won't be there? As I said, he is relocating back down south. He's not going to leave work and then video chat them to show them a "recovery" day by day lol. We don't work out of our depot, all engineers work from home, so when his notice is in with what ever reasoning he gives, he goes back home, works x amount of notice that he gives, and that's it.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    He won't be explaining anything to them..., he won't be there? As I said, he is relocating back down south. He's not going to leave work and then video chat them to show them a "recovery" day by day lol. We don't work out of our depot, all engineers work from home, so when his notice is in with what ever reasoning he gives, he goes back home, works x amount of notice that he gives, and that's it.

So why all the subterfuge?
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    His reasoning was that because he knows management etc as more "friends" that he doesn't want to say he is leaving for another job and have to sit through arguments and counter offers etc for him to stay. And as far as I know he is allowed to give less notice on medical grounds than he is for leaving to another job...as far as I'm aware.

Your 'awareness' seems a bit flawed on a number of accounts. Your 'friend' knows management as 'friends' so thinks lying to them is the right thing to do because it will be 'less hassle' for him.

Does he really think his 'friends' in management will want him to be unemployed rather than staying and benefiting from sick pay?

The reference should be interesting.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Looking for some advice on behalf of a friend regarding his situation.

Advice? Or a pat on the head and soothing words (unfortunately meaningless) that everything will be fine?

Maybe the best advice you can give him is to man up and learn to tell the truth.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why are you so worried about your colleague's issue? It's his problem not yours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure