How do you use the forum/website?

Options
Hello,

Sorry if that sounds like a daft question, but after some silliness in my past I am paying off my debt and looking to become more financially stable so this was the first place I wanted to come to.

I don't really understand how to use the forum/website. There is SO MUCH here and sifting through what is relevant to me is really confusing!

This might sound weird, but how do you guys use the forum/website to get the most out of it? I work 2 jobs and volunteer so time is a bit tight and I want to be able to find my way through this is the most concise way o that I stick with it! :)

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use the Debt Free Wannabe forum to reduce your outgoings, post a SoA and forum members will find you ways of cutting your outgoings. Many people waste £100s or £1000s a year overpaying for stuff.

Use the Benefits and Tax Credits forum to make sure you're getting all you're entitled to.

Use the Boost Your Income forum to find ways to get extra cash.

Join the MSE Cheap Energy Club, make sure you're always on the cheapest gas/electric tariff.

Use the banking and savings section of the main site to find the banks that give you the best value for money.

When renewing car and house insurance consult the Insurance section of the main site for a guide on how to.

Use the Utilities and Phones section of the main website to find how to reduce your mobile phone and internet bills.
  • crystal101
    crystal101 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello! Thanks for replying - sorry, this wasn't quite what I meant, I haven't made myself clear. I mean instead of just asking questions, how do you learn? I want to learn everything I can but there are hundreds of thousands of posts so I don't really know where to start looking for stuff....am I making sense?! Sorry if not!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 July 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    crystal101 wrote: »
    Hello! Thanks for replying - sorry, this wasn't quite what I meant, I haven't made myself clear. I mean instead of just asking questions, how do you learn? I want to learn everything I can but there are hundreds of thousands of posts so I don't really know where to start looking for stuff....am I making sense?! Sorry if not!
    Hi,

What in particular do you want to learn ?
    Your not been that clear to be honest.

This is an advice site more than anything, it depends on the issues you need advice on, this forum deals with debt issues of all kinds, people usually just ask relevant questions they want answers too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Starting by reading the guides on the main site, reading people's posts and responses in the various forums and asking questions of your own.

If you want to know something just ask.
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    1- Decide what you want to know.
    2 - Use the thread/forum/board search functionality for threads that may relate to what you want to learn.
    3 - If you can't find the information, look for the board most closely related to what you want to learn then make a post asking for help.

This forum is not really a library as such or a learning portal for topics - nor can you verify the accuracy of knowledge but Im pretty sure that in the main there are often pragmatic/practical solutions to issues to be found.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have 7-8 sub forums that I open up, and then I open up some of the threads within those that interest me. There might be nothing in one sub forum today, but loads tomorrow.

I also subscribe to a few diaries (and keep my own) which can be good to read. Sometimes if I have a decent block of time, I'll read a diary from start to finish.

Apart from that if I have a specific query I'll post in the relevant area.

Tonight for example, I've updated my diary, opened DFWB and picked up this post and another, then I have 6 other sub forums which I'll skim for interesting topics in a minute and open all those in new tabs. I also browse a couple of other (non-money related) forums, and take the same approach to those. If I'm on limited time which I am this evening, I only allow myself one pass; once I've been through and read the topics that interest me, no second look through!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It depends on what sort of support you want. Some people just read posts on topics they are interested in. Some search the forum for answers to questions or advice. Some ask questions. Some engage with challenges or start up a debt free or mortgage free diary as an ongoing thing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SavingAFuture
    SavingAFuture Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    I've just started a DFW diary yesterday to help keep my motivated and accountable to clear my debt. This is after weeks of browsing, reading other people success stories and struggles and seeing how supportive everyone is of each other. I think you can get from the forum whatever you need, just browse around, perhaps start a diary where you can keep track of progress and people can offer support and ask questions if you want to. There's loads of helpful people out there!
    If it's just information and facts you are looking for, head back to the main website and start there.
    Good luck!
    SaF x
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use it for ideas, encouragement, inspiration.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You learn either from experience or by reading posts on here, or blogs people have written. Could add books to that list too. Wonder if there's podcasts too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure