Last year - we won 6 lots of £10 and one £15

This year - nothing yet !

What are the odds of winning £10 ?

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What are the odds of winning £10

Depends how many different postcodes are being played (as far as I am aware they do not reveal that information).
    Excluding NI there are over 1,500,000 postcodes, (the free pick my postcode site has almost 50% of postcodes registered but only 3.2% of the UK population).
    If you take just 2.5% as being played in the PPL as a possible figure = 37,500.
    They draw 1,000 postcodes for the weekly £10 draw which gives odds of winning it of about 37 to 1 and the same for the £20 draw so with "average" luck that would be 1 or 2 wins a year on both draws. If 5% of postcodes were played then it becomes an average of a win on each draw about every 18 months.
  • mjm3346
    edited 15 July 2019 at 5:30PM
    Just been looking at their accounts/forecasts and they expect to take in about £390,000,000 a year which equals 3,250,000 players @ £10 a month, people can play with more than 1 ticket and there can be several people playing in each postcode but just taking 5% of the number as being unique postcodes there would still be over 162,000 so with 1,000 £10 and 1,000 £20 prizes the odds are approx 160 to 1 for each (a win on each of the £10 and £20 draws about every 3 years)

(They say 80% of players win something each year)
  • Stu@rt
    Stu@rt Posts: 371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thats interesting to hear 50Twuncle. We must have had 4 or 5 last year and nothing at all this. Time to cancel maybe?
  • mjm3346
    Stu@rt wrote: »
    Thats interesting to hear 50Twuncle. We must have had 4 or 5 last year and nothing at all this. Time to cancel maybe?

Just chance, the £15 prize is now £20 and you have as much chance of winning that as £10, you have better odds now at £1,000 with 20 postcodes drawn everyday of the week (used to be 10) along with a £30,000 postcode on Saturdays and Sundays all apart from the Main draw (I won a £10 last week)
  • Redredrobin
    Redredrobin Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have just canceled my subscription , more chance of platting fog now i think .
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    think the £10 wins are generally when somebody in same street with same post code signs up, so if you live in longer street more chance than a small cul de sac for instance.
  • mjm3346
    janE1956 wrote: »
    think the £10 wins are generally when somebody in same street with same post code signs up, so if you live in longer street more chance than a small cul de sac for instance.

That's only for the main draw, it makes no difference for the others (£10, £20, £1,000 etc) as each postcode with a ticket is only entered once regardless of the number of tickets in that postcode area.
  • Is that definitely right mjm? I always thought the more people who played in each postcode, the more chance you have of winning (all draws, not just the big one) Otherwise there would be little benefit in buying multiple tickets?
    Also, did you know, you can play any postcode you like? It doesn't have to be where you live... I see a lot of people moaning about "it's always Birmingham or Bradford who seem to win" then it makes sense to play a Birmingham postcode and see if that is the case.
    I also wondered about getting a big group of people together to all start playing the same one postcode and see if there are more regular wins between the group?
    Thoughts?
  • mjm3346
    edited 17 July 2019 at 8:39AM
    Is that definitely right mjm? I always thought the more people who played in each postcode, the more chance you have of winning (all draws, not just the big one)
    Otherwise there would be little benefit in buying multiple tickets?

As per their website (their bold)
    For all prizes except the Postcode Millions, all playing postcodes are entered into the draw once, no matter how many people play with that postcode. The prize is not split between winners - everyone who plays with the winning postcode will win the advertised prize. Players with more than one ticket will win the relevant multiple of the advertised prize.

Buying multiple tickets increases what you can win for all the other draws and increases ever so slightly the overall chances of winning the main draw and getting a bigger share of the prize.
  • We won £30,000! Sometimes you only believe if you know someone who won, definitely worth playing 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback