0870 0500198 Any ideas?

I have had a couple of calls from this number and they always hang up straight away. It could be just some sort of auto dialler hoping I'll ring back and line their coffers...
Has anyone else been bothered by this number?
I tried Say No... but it's not listed and googling brought back a couple of hits.
...and then the window licker said to me...

Comments

• margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    I have had a couple of calls from this number and they always hang up straight away. It could be just some sort of auto dialler hoping I'll ring back and line their coffers...
    Has anyone else been bothered by this number?
    I tried Say No... but it's not listed and googling brought back a couple of hits.

It's the latest scam, and you're quite correct. They want you to phone back. This was featured on TV a while ago. A pensioner ran up a huge phone bill ringing these numbers.
    Margaret
  • Could be wrong, but I think you are worrying unecessarily.

08700 numbers are charged at around 9p/min, so no fortune to be lost.

It is likely to be a double-glazing firm touting for business, using a multi-dialler which calls several numbers at once. The first number to answer gets the "message", the rest of you just get silence.

These devices are outlawed in US, about time they were here.

Scat
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • loafer_2
    loafer_2 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Their are VOIP ones now too - you can do the whole thing from a £200 PC and a dsl line.
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    As I said, a pensioner ran up bills answering these phone calls. He was kept on hold or alternatively he was spoken to as if the person on the other end knew him so he waited and listened.
    You must remember that there are a lot of vulnerable folks around.
    I believe the true cost of an 0870 number including VAT is 11p per minute.
    Margaret
  • I expect there is an obscure firm charging that sort of money but BT's charges are 7.51p per minute (peak), 3.75p per minute off peak and 1.5p per minute at weekends.

Still a rip-off (see SayNoTo0870.com).
    30 years, 217 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family