We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cleavers, Sticky Willy, or Galium Aparine

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'll send the cat out to collect seeds stick 'em in the dehydrator - grow the beard, and become rich from the proceeds of my uber artisan but crap tasting coffee - soon they'll all be asking for a frothy willy...
    (cue manic laughter)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    soon they'll all be asking for a frothy willy...
    (cue manic laughter)
    Ooo eerr missus:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Ah, my aquilegias are fine; in fact I need to pull out a load of rather samey ones today and put in some replacements grown from more interesting plants. Yes, I know they won't come true, and that's half the fun. :D

I also notice our semiaquilegia ecalcarata flore plena has multiplied tremendously. That's rare, and it does come true, but if I try to sell it, people say, "Oh yeah, got that!":rotfl:113803_20181125T130718_0_jpg_480x500_q85.jpg

Do you supply this one by post Dave? I definitely DON'T have it ...
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That ones lovely Dave.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2019 at 9:29PM
    greenbee wrote: »
    Do you supply this one by post Dave? I definitely DON'T have it ...
    I have to confess that's not my photo. I stole it because I knew mine was about 13 years old and buried in the computer's equivalent of the loft!

Anyway, I've finally dug out the 2006 photo, so here it is:
    dsc00007.jpg
    Not bad for an early point & shoot Sony...

As above, I don't sell the plants any more, but I can send you some seed in a few weeks if you PM me. :)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Thanks Dave - will message you :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    I hate those cleavers and we've got loads here, called sticky bobs by kids.

Strangely we've never been bothered by them in previous place, just six miles away.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cleavers are also called goose grass in North Yorkshire.
    Massive increase in the hedgerows around us.
    I think this could be due to the fact that the arable farmers have to leave, & not spray with herbicide, a strip around their cropping fields.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Cleavers are also called goose grass in North Yorkshire.
    Massive increase in the hedgerows around us.
    I think this could be due to the fact that the arable farmers have to leave, & not spray with herbicide, a strip around their cropping fields.
    It's a good theory, but the massive increase here happened without the help of eco field borders, which aren't present where I am, though I see them in other places.

Cleavers isn't a weed of open ground, though it will colonise long grass. Here, it's beginning to die back, having flowered and produced the seeds that are now coming home with our woolly cat every day.

I've managed to clear the cleavers from a garden hedgerow where I'm attempting to grow a variety of wild flowers and similar, suitable for the location, but I was caught out by another weed, ground ivy, which also increased and smothered much of what I planted. It's been reasonably benign up to now, but looks potentially worse than cleavers in the way it's spread since arriving. It wasn't around when we came here 10 years ago.

I don't mind the cleavers in the field hedges. It's been there a very long time and obviously belongs in that ecosystem.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Davesnave wrote: »
    , but I was caught out by another weed, ground ivy, which also increased and smothered much of what I planted. It's been reasonably benign up to now, but looks potentially worse than cleavers in the way it's spread since arriving. It wasn't around when we came here 10 years ago.
    Is ground ivy bog standard ivy that hugs ground until it finds a suitable vertical surface, like tree or wall, then up it goes to the sky?
    Just asking 'cos mine does that and wondering if there's a different type around
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure