PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well I made the cauliflower and blue cheese soup today and both DH and I really enjoyed it. I didn't get proper blue cheese but used Laughing Cow triangles with blue cheese to make it a bit lighter. Not such a hit of blue cheese but nice all the same. Will certainly make it that way again in future.

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    joedenise wrote: »
    Well I made the cauliflower and blue cheese soup today and both DH and I really enjoyed it. I didn't get proper blue cheese but used Laughing Cow triangles with blue cheese to make it a bit lighter. Not such a hit of blue cheese but nice all the same. Will certainly make it that way again in future.

Denise

sounds delicious ,any chance of a quick recipe as I have some frozen cauli to use up in my aim to eat down the freezer for defrosting :) I have used some of it in a sweet potato and cauliflower curry but still have some left over to use up
  • joedenise
    Forumite
    Jackie- I just fried up a chopped onion until softened then added the cauliflower and some veg stock, simmered until the cauliflower stalks are soft. Blend until smooth and then pour back into saucepan to reheat and stir through the blue cheese triangles until melted a bit.. Makes 2 good sized portions.

I used 5 triangles but it might be better with the whole box of 8!

Denise
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    joedenise wrote: »

Denise

thats good to know, thankyou
    i like bloo cheese but only a tiny bit. i often make blue cheese and brocolli pasties with leftovers but recent found the cheese too strong so i'll try the triangles
  • Recipe for foccacia I make https://fidgetandtherowes.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/hairy-bikers-rosemary-focaccia/
    Sorry I've only just seen your message x
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,691
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Haven't posted much of late (real life and all that) but have been following along with all the lovely ideas for LFHW.

Today I made a batch of blueberry muffins using a ys punnet of blueberries that I got for 50p. Twelve in all, and so much nicer than shop-bought. Six in the cake tin and six in the freezer.

My challenge for the next few days is to use up existing stocks and buy as little as possible as we're off on our jollies in just over a week's time. :j I'll be doing a meal plan tomorrow to see what I really need - so far, it's just potatoes, milk and eggs.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • YorksLass
    Forumite
    Meal plan done for the next few days and nothing more to add to the shopping list! :j I'm using up what's in the fridge and a few things from the freezer.

Today I've used up the last 2 carrots, half an onion, half a courgette, 2 medium size potatoes, a stick of celery and the last veg stock cube along with red lentils and spices to make 4 portions of lentil & veg broth, enough for a couple of lunches for us. The rest of the head of celery doesn't feature much on the meal plan this week, so I'll chop and freeze it this weekend.

I've also got an unopened tub of cream cheese with a bbe date of 31/7 in the fridge and am in two minds as to whether to leave it until we get home (should be OK if it's not opened) or use it before we go to make some mini cheesecakes for the freezer. If the latter, then I'll need to add a small carton of double cream to the shopping list. I'll sleep on it tonight. :D
  • YorksLass
    Forumite
    Celery now chopped and frozen, with a few sticks in a glass of water in the fridge for DH to chomp on. :D

Decided to leave the cream cheese unopened so shopping was as planned - milk, potatoes, eggs - plus a carton of LL milk for when we get back and a ys cauliflower. If we don't use it all I'll make cauli cheese soup and freeze.

Last apple used this morning grated into a bowl of bran flakes.
  • joedenise
    Forumite
    I'm trying to run my outside freezer down before my holiday so decided to make a mixed veg soup and used up a bag of mixed veg which has been in the freezer for goodness knows how long!

It was in the inside freezer but obviously hasn't freed up very much space but as the saying goes every little helps!

Denise
  • YorksLass
    Forumite
    Still running down the fridge pre-holidays and have now used up most of the salad stuff, bar one tomato and a small piece of cucumber. I used the last bit of little gem lettuce for lunch today, shredded and topped with some cottage cheese and pears.

I decided to use up 3 lemons by making lemon & barley water (haven't done that in ages) and ended up with 2 litres of the stuff. :D Not a problem and most welcome in this hot weather. I used a fair amount of pearl barley so it's nice and thick and can be diluted down.

On the other hand, half of the lentil & veg soup has gone in the freezer as it's far too warm for that. No wonder the freezer never seems to empty. :rotfl:

Spag bol for dinner tonight, nice and easy as the sauce is from the freezer. Cherries and yogurt for afters.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure