Free Sky or Freesat? Advice needed

We have decided to stop paying for Sky tv. The question is – which is better – just cancel subscription and get the free channels or change to Freesat? We need to keep the satellite aerial and want to record and use catch-up. The Sky box is the old model not the Q version. Any advice out there?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pelagonium wrote: »
    We have decided to stop paying for Sky tv. The question is – which is better – just cancel subscription and get the free channels or change to Freesat? We need to keep the satellite aerial and want to record and use catch-up. The Sky box is the old model not the Q version. Any advice out there?

Well have you compared the channels ?

If you want to record and use catchup then maybe Freesat is the option.
    You miht get a record option from Sky for a fee, speak to Sky.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pelagonium wrote: »
    If you want to record then, as suggested, Freesat is the only option on that front as the recording facility on your old sky+ box will become redundant. Personally though, if you have an aerial then it maybe better to get a secondhand BT Youview+ box as the Humax Freesat recorders can be expensive.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your Sky box would just become a chunky FTA receiver. No recording (unless you pay Sky £10 a month) and no catch-up. Don't expect to get access to the stuff on your planner either.
  • Pelagonium
    Pelagonium Posts: 6 Forumite
    Okay, thanks. Looks like we’ll be checking out Freesat.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2019 at 6:42PM
    Check out various Humax STB's here:
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product-category/hd-tv-receiver/

I have the HDR-1100S and love it, but if you don't want Freesat and would be happy with Freeview, a cheaper option would be any Freeview, Freeview+ or Freeview Play box from the options listed. Alternatively, a YouView box. Or just use a roof aerial to get Freeview.

Taking Freesat using your dish, may mean buying and fitting a new LNB.
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/using-your-existing-satellite-dish/

EDIT: I just spotted this at less than £50:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/manhattan-sx-freesat-hd-digital-receiver/p3549223

No idea how good it is, but it beats the price I paid for the Humax 1100S. Not happy!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Robisere wrote: »
    Check out various Humax STB's here:
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product-category/hd-tv-receiver/

I have the HDR-1100S and love it, but if you don't want Freesat and would be happy with Freeview, a cheaper option would be any Freeview, Freeview+ or Freeview Play box from the options listed. Alternatively, a YouView box. Or just use a roof aerial to get Freeview.

Taking Freesat using your dish, may mean buying and fitting a new LNB.
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/using-your-existing-satellite-dish/

EDIT: I just spotted this at less than £50:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/manhattan-sx-freesat-hd-digital-receiver/p3549223

No idea how good it is, but it beats the price I paid for the Humax 1100S. Not happy!

The 1100s is a recorder so not really comparable. I paid £150 each for two recon 1100s 500gb boxes. My other new 1100s 1tb box cost app £220 a couple of years ago.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another recommendation here for the Humax 1100S. I got one about a year and a half ago for £69 from cash convertors and it's great. The only thing is that Freesat have lost CH4 HD and the All 4 catchup which is annoying.

In my experience there is nothing out there as good as a Humax at the moment.
  • nickcc
    Peter999 wrote: »
    Another recommendation here for the Humax 1100S. I got one about a year and a half ago for £69 from cash convertors and it's great. The only thing is that Freesat have lost CH4 HD and the All 4 catchup which is annoying.

In my experience there is nothing out there as good as a Humax at the moment.

Also channel 5 on catch up is now MY 5 which caused uproar in our house as you can no longer get Fireman Sam on catch-up.
  • Garyswork2
    Garyswork2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    May be a bit late to check, but does your TV take a USB hard drive as these are great for recording and pausing live TV. Ideal if you ditch your SKY box.
  • nickcc
    Garyswork2 wrote: »
    May be a bit late to check, but does your TV take a USB hard drive as these are great for recording and pausing live TV. Ideal if you ditch your SKY box.

Incidentally a certain model of the early Sky + box can be converted so it records once you've ended your Sky subscription unlike the later model.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure