Import tax on an item I'm repairing?

Wasn't too sure which category this should go under. Basically I am offering a repair service on eBay for Macbooks (self employed and it's all documented). I have had a buyer from Spain purchase the listing and they have already shipped the MacBook to me

It's just occured to me that I may end up being charged by customs for receiving this item, however I am not keeping it and I will be shipping it back the same day I receive it after its repaired, although it will be going through eBay's GSP rather than direct to the buyers address

Where do I stand in regards to tax on that? Am I likely to receive a customs bill and can I dispute it in any way?

Comments

• Brexit has not happened yet, so tax is not an issue.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Any items from the EU will not currently be subject to import duties and taxes. Who knows what the future holds in that respect.

If you receive items from outside the EU any import duties and taxes can be suspended under an import regime called IPR (Inward Processing Relief)
  • MEM62 wrote: »
    If you receive items from outside the EU any import duties and taxes can be suspended under an import regime called IPR (Inward Processing Relief)

Not an expert, but I think this would also apply if the item was coming from the Canary Islands, Ceuta or Melilla.

The rest of Spain is of course within the EU customs union and VAT area, so at least for the next 6 weeks or so there's no duty or import VAT to worry about.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not an expert, but I think this would also apply if the item was coming from the Canary Islands, Ceuta or Melilla.

The rest of Spain is of course within the EU customs union and VAT area, so at least for the next 6 weeks or so there's no duty or import VAT to worry about.

The OP stated Spain so I have taken that as mainland Spain.

The areas you mentioned are 'special territories' and there would usually be a liability to import charges. In reality, it would depend on how the item it sent. If it was sent via a standard freight forwarding service then this would need to be taken into account as the goods would go through a formal clearance procedure. However, it is likely that it would be sent by either a postal service or a parcels operators, such as DHL or similar. The 'express industry' as they call themselves have their own, less formal shall we call it, clearance arrangements and I would imagine that in such a case it is likely to sail through customs clearance without import charges being levied.
  • MEM62 wrote: »
    The OP stated Spain so I have taken that as mainland Spain.

Totally fair - I just had this in the back of my mind having sold an item to someone in the Canary Islands. The delivery address stated Spain as the country, so only at the last minute did I realise I had to stick a customs declaration on it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure