Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Rycall wrote: »
    Just had my call from retentions and it was worth going down this route.

XL TV package
    200mb broadband
    Weekend calls
    2x TIVO V6 boxes
    £55pm for 12 months

I rang Virgin today just to ask when my contract was over? Luckily for little'ole me - I've got 16 days left.

The adviser asked why I was enquiring? Tempted to say "nosey b&?£€ ain't ya" I replied - It's getting too expensive & I received an email notifying me in November that your going to rob a further £4.50 a month off UH ERRRRRRR!

Oh! Mr Bandit, would you like me to see if I can off you a better deal? That does seem a little high - Currently paying £82.50, November's price £87.00.

She offered me this same deal for £71.00 - Pheew! I'm glad I turned down this offer & said I wanted to compare prices with sky.

I'll go down the cancellation route & see what they offer me next?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mr_Reeman wrote: »
    My contract is up this month – currently paying £55 for TV M+, 100 Mb, Talk weekends and Tivo. I called VM to cancel and a very scatty women went through what I could get. If I went with just freeview (which I wanted to do) and halved my BB to 50Mb then I would pay just £28 month. Considering the cheapest VM offer is £33 a month and BT £37 for an equivalent package, I agree to this very good deal.

A few hours later I got the email summing up my new deal and found it was too good to be true. The email had all the items I had selected but at a price for £40!! So, another call back to VM and I spoke to another person who didn’t believe what I had been sold. He went off to check it out and he got his manager to listen to my call recorded earlier! When he phone back he said it was a completely made up deal but they would honour it! He said he couldn’t send out any written confirmation of the price, but he would make sure the discounts were applied to my account.

Now, I’ve had the proper change of contract email sent through asking me to sign and it says the price is £40 again, rising to £48 after 12 months. It’s asking me to sign it, which I am reluctant to do as it is almost agreeing to the higher price. VM say they can’t confirm the £28 in writing, so what can I do!? Signing the contract at £40 to me could be used to override the price I’ve been quoted.

Check the contract email again - under the box that shows the contract price it should say something like discounts applied (the figure bringing your £40 to £28).

If you don't sign the contract you will be deemed to have accepted it anyway - you will also see you have 14 days to cancel so can potentially revert to your previous deal or put in your cancellation. £28 does still seem expensive for your new package.
  • tucker61
    tucker61 Posts: 19
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I had a similar issue, the contract said 65, but they promised me 56. I spoke to retentions again and they advised they could see that a reoccurring credit had been applied to my account for £9.00, but they cannot send me a new contract with the lower price on it.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2017 at 1:30PM
    This is what I am currently paying, however my contract expires on 24th October and price will revert to full price. What could I realistically ask for? I usually ring each year and as the deadline is reached they offer me a good deal.

I would like my Tivo box to be replaced with another V6 box.

Your package
    These charges are for the period: 28 August - 27
    September

Full House Sports and Movies SD
    Talk Weekends Full House TV (XL)
    1 Additional TV Box Virgin Tv V6 Box, Powered By Tivo
    TiVo Monthly Fee TiVo Credit
    VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
    Full House Sports and Movies SD total £88.50

Promotional offer(s)

12 Months Sky Cinema & Sports Discount, Which Will End on 24-OCT-17

Promotional offer(s
    ) CR £19.63
    Phone line rental
    Telephone Line Rental
    12 Month Line Rental Saver - Payment Made In Advance For Line Rental Until 24-OCT-17
    Phone line rental total £0.00
    Premium add-ons
    Sky Sports & Cinema Discount
    Premium add-ons total £0.00
    YOUR PACKAGE TOTAL £68.87

Other fees, charges & credits

One-off charges & credits
    Date: Description: Amount:
    12 July Discount Correction CR £4.00
    One-off charges & credits total CR £4.00
    Other fees, charges & credits total CR £4.00

Usage charges
    Telephone calls for ************
    Calls below your itemisation threshold (default - calls below 50p) £0.00
    Calls above your itemisation threshold (default - calls above 50p) £0.00
    Call charge total (exclusive of VAT) £0.00
    Usage charges Total £0.00
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 August 2017 at 2:24PM
    Based on my recent experience I wouldn't "ask" them for anything.

Last month I was paying Virgin £66 per month (out of contract) for:
    • Basic TV (with TiVo)
    • 160mb broadband
    • Line rental with weekend calls.
    They the contacted me to say my bill was increasing to £72 from November which was the final straw!

I called them to say that I was thinking of moving to BT and what was the best they could offer? They gave me their "best offer" of £48 per month. I said this wasn't good enough compared to what BT were offering and was told there was NOTHING better they could do.

I therefore applied for the BT deal and about 2 days later got a call back from Virgin saying that they had received a land line number transfer request from BT and were confirming if this was expected?

When I said it was I was asked if someone could call me back from retentions. I said OK but mentioned that I'd already spoken with them and their offer wasn't good enough.

Anyway I get a call later that day from a lovely lady in "post cancellation retentions" who (after some discussions) finally offered me:
    • Upgrade from 150 to 200mb broadband
    • Upgrade fro basic to Mix TV package
    • Line rental + weekend calls
    for £25.50 per month for a 12 month contract with guaranteed no price increases.

So from £72 down to £25 (plus upgraded broadband and TV) because I voted with my feet!

So for that reason from now on I'm simply going to apply to move and wait, it may be worth you doing the same. :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Well done Vacheron, :T
    vacheron wrote: »
    Based on my recent experience I wouldn't "ask" them for anything.

So for that reason from now on I'm simply going to apply to move and wait, it may be worth you doing the same. )

Thanks for the reply, I did phone last night and the guy in retensions asked me what could they do to make me stay. I did mention that I would like another V6 box instead of my Tivo, but he said they couldnt do that, and It wasn't good for me to leave before my contract ends because I would be losing the line rental that I paid upfront. He did however tell me to ring back on 24th September, and see what they could do. To be honest, I always play them to the end, keep rejecting their offers (they generally get better, the closer to the date your contract ends), then they offer a great deal and Hey Presto.....RESULT! :j
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nicky321 wrote: »
    Well done Vacheron, :T

Thanks for the reply, I did phone last night and the guy in retensions asked me what could they do to make me stay. I did mention that I would like another V6 box instead of my Tivo, but he said they couldnt do that, and It wasn't good for me to leave before my contract ends because I would be losing the line rental that I paid upfront. He did however tell me to ring back on 24th September, and see what they could do. To be honest, I always play them to the end, keep rejecting their offers (they generally get better, the closer to the date your contract ends), then they offer a great deal and Hey Presto.....RESULT! :j
    You don't get retentions when you ring,Only customer service they won't give you the best deals.To get retentions to ring you have to cancel the lot then they will ring you back.
  • I gave notice and due to be cancelled on 19/09/2017. Just agree with outbound retention team: £21 per month includes - 50MB Broadband + Telephone Line Rental + Anytime calls. Also exempt from Nov-17 price rise.

I think this is a good deal compared to me paying £22 per month on top of advance line rental of around £180 in Sep-16.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lucky devil. I was offered £31 Thru inbound. But haven't seen it in writing yet.
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    Lucky devil. I was offered £31 Thru inbound. But haven't seen it in writing yet.

I haven't received anything in writing yet but been advised will. My line rental was pre-paid until 20/09/2017 and so new contract to take effect from 21/09/2017. Hoping they will stick to their words!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback