Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 6:21PM
    Options
    I got mine from an ebay seller. I can look her up if you like. The really light ones they sell in toy shops are no good as they are just too light. On the otherhand you can get weighted ones but I've heard they can be quite brutal so you need the middle, just like the 3 bears

Well done on losing the 9 inches, that is a real achievement.

Just looked it up, the seller I bought it from was ptandmore and it was under £10 delivered, can't remember exactly. She gives you a link to her website as well which gives you some instructions that are helpful. Good luck.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got mine from an ebay seller. I can look her up if you like. The really light ones they sell in toy shops are no good as they are just too light. On the otherhand you can get weighted ones but I've heard they can be quite brutal so you need the middle, just like the 3 bears

Well done on losing the 9 inches, that is a real achievement.

Just looked it up, the seller I bought it from was ptandmore and it was under £10 delivered, can't remember exactly. She gives you a link to her website as well which gives you some instructions that are helpful. Good luck.

That's great. Thank you so much.

People have recommended Pilates, but I do tai chi and enjoy that.

Re fabbing, I went with the grey about 18 months ago. It's actually brighter than the faded brown beige that the colour ended up. Big specs and bold necklaces complete the look!

Shame about the wrinkles! :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    "Finishing touches" then - ie those glasses and necklaces.

One recent YouTube video I saw was along the lines of "Don't just put on 2 or 3 bits of clothing - add one or two carefully chosen 'extra' items and make an outfit of it".

That made sense to me.

My latest fabbing comment - a couple of people commented favourably on a pair of earrings I'd recently bought and one was asking me if they were "real" in fact. Nope - just costume jewellery and cost less than £10:rotfl:

One has to "sift" a bit on comments from other people ITRW - as I realised when a friend recently told me "Black and brown don't go together" in an authoritative tone of voice. Much does she know then - as they certainly do - provided it's the right shade of brown and imo it's a sophisticated colour match at that. Though I do take her comments re appearance with a strong pinch of salt in the circumstances....:cool:
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I am very busy at the moment, but I am reading all of your posts every day. :)

I have managed to hit my Holiday savings goal today. I now have just over £2,000 saved. :j:D

I now have to raise as much as money possible for my spending money and for any financial outlays that happen in the next 6 months that are not predictable but essential.

It is amazing that I do not have to put my central heating on yet, because it is so warm here in London at this time of year. It is helping me to save money each week. :)

I went to my local Odeon cinema yesterday to watch A Simple Favour again and enjoyed it even more 2nd time around. :D I had to use up my Groupon Odeon voucher and yesterday was the expiry date.

I had Ultrasound on both of my shoulders. There is wear and tear in the tendons in both shoulders and my right shoulder has calcification starting in the bone that connects my shoulder to my collarbone.

I have another busy weekend planned, as my sister H is in London this weekend. We are going to have lunch together today. Tomorrow is another family birthday celebration in a restaurant for her older granddaughter's 16th birthday. :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sugarbaby - well done on your saving! Wishing you a fab holiday too.
    Just seen some of the photos of Eugenie's wedding. Thought her dress was beautiful - classic, elegant and understated and suited her body shape. The emerald & diamond tiara and earrings just added that pop of colour.
    Mind you I did think some of the guests needed to look in the mirror before they left the house (miaow!)
    What were your thoughts ladies?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Sugarbaby - well done on your saving! Wishing you a fab holiday too.
    Just seen some of the photos of Eugenie's wedding. Thought her dress was beautiful - classic, elegant and understated and suited her body shape. The emerald & diamond tiara and earrings just added that pop of colour.
    Mind you I did think some of the guests needed to look in the mirror before they left the house (miaow!)
    What were your thoughts ladies?

I agree, her dress was beautiful and really suited her but to be honest she looked so happy, a truly radiant bride, that I think she would have looked lovely in a bin bag.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 1:58PM
    Options
    Not had a look yet - as my viewpoint = royalty schmalty:rotfl:

Anything has got to be better than that badly fitting dress on Meghan.

Guests looking in the mirror silvasava??? Not checked yet - but I have a suspicion I know what you mean......:cool:

One of the things I am finding hard personally is finding suitable role models as to "how to" dress - ie elegant/suitable to person concerned/etc/etc - as this is SO not the norm for our country and it is very difficult indeed to find people I think "Yep...they've got it right...I think I'll copy this/that/the other from them":( I know I don't have many original thoughts in my mind (like most of us then....) and so am looking to think "Right - just do this/that/the other like they do and that will look good".

It does make you wonder "Am I being a right b*tch?" when you think "Nope - needs to lose weight/needs to throw that item of clothing out/needs to match clothes better/etc/etc" and you think "I don't think that is the case - it's just that so many people honestly don't make the best of themselves. So where ARE all these people to copy/think they've got it just right then??". That is a genuine question - as I'd honestly like to think "Right - if I have a figure like them (as near as)/got my hair like them (ditto)/dress like them = Sorted".
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 October 2018 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Hello everyone.

SUgarbaby. So glad to hear that you are finally getting some answers and the appropriate treatment, hope it all goes well for you and that your health continues to improve. And well done on your holiday savings. That's brilliant. :T

I'm afraid I'm having a fibro flare today, mainly my legs and feet. My muscles feel like they are screaming in rebellion. The acupuncturist did the backs of my knees today rather than the front so I'm guessing it's triggered some kind of after affects.

Releasing my chakras innit or some such hippy voodoo. Lol. I'll let you know tomorrow if it's worked. In the meantime I've gone back on to the CBD oil. It tastes utterly vile and makes me want to gag but it seems to help with pain relief.

My only recourse for now is to rest them and keep them warm, so it's a sofa afternoon. I shall read, watch a film, maybe do a bit of handsewing. I did do a major shop at Aldi this morning so I'm all stocked up with nice eats. The house is a tip but there's only me today so no worries. My diary is clear fir the next couple of days so I can rest and potter.

Money.....try googling the "Best Dressed Women of All Time". As you might deduce some of them are long dead but their style is timeless and still relevant for the 21st century. Also try Something like "Elegant Women over 50".

Without meeting you in person, knowing your shape, colouring etc it's hard to give specific advice. I think the trick is if you can identify your own unique body shape, preferred colour choices etc and then find someone in the public eye whose style you admire and who resembles you a little. Or at least whose style might suit you with a few tweaks. I don't think it works if you just slavishly copy someone but you can maybe capture the essence of their style but with a few changes to suit you.

Oops plumber has just texted me, he's on his way. Back later. Damn. I so wanted a rest. :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Just having a little break. I have been sorting and decluttering this morning. I have loaded some unwanted paintings and mirrors into the car ready for the charity shop on Monday. Very heavy and now my back aches so now a little rest is needed. Luckily they have some nice strapping men there the other end who will unload for me. I am hoping to go through the linens later today and maybe a quick sweep through my wardrobe.

My legs feel much better today, must have been side effects of the acupuncture. Anyway my knees feel good.

It looks like the new boiler is going to be a very dirty, messy, complicated job. I'm having all the old water tanks ripped out so it's not a straight boiler swap. Plumber says it will take around 3 to 4 days so I have decided to book a little holiday. It will be far more pleasant for me and quicker and easier (and hopefully cheaper) for the plumber. I shall stay fairly local so I can still be on hand to answer any questions if they hit any unforeseen snags.

I can combine my mini break with some sightseeing, a couple of salon treatments and some Christmas shopping. Should be fun. Just waiting for him to give me a date then I can look for somewhere nice to stay. I am hoping now it's off season there might be some good deals.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. There's a very warm wind, almost like the sirocco you get in Spain, but the forecast isn't very good at all for tomorrow. Good job I had the guttering fixed. :rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back from my short break in Manchester and caught up with the interesting conversation on here.

When I said I found the accents in the media grating, I did qualify it by saying it was the sloppy speech that put me off which I think is doing a disservice to regional accents. I have a faint Welsh lilt myself although it's much diluted after many years of living in England. I particularly dislike the dropped Hs, the dropped Ts and more recently the ing endings that are clipped to just 'in'. I don't care if people think I'm an old fuddy duddy. I think poor speech leads to poor spelling and generally creates a poor first impression. My father always noticed. when he met an attractive woman who ruined it all when she opened her mouth. Similarly, whenever I received job applications I was always put off by spelling and grammatical errors.

I think I'll need to join you in being a right b*tch money.:o When I'm people watching I weigh up my likes and dislikes from those around me.

Although my break wasn't a holiday as such I did enjoy getting away. I managed a short break one lunchtime to visit the Manchester Art Gallery. They have some lovely paintings, the pre Raphaelites being my particular favourites. I wore my Zara dress for dinner one night and had compliments both from my colleague I was with but also from a complete stranger who admired it.:)

My hair didn't kike the soft water nor did it like Storm Callum yesterday but now I'm home and washed the chalk back in it looks good again!:D

Your planned short break sounds good LL. Hope the plumber confirms soon. I often see breaks advertised in spa hotels.

One thing I did notice, passing through London is how many women wear flat shoes, especially trainer type. That's not surprising but I did notice some nice ones, gold colour being a favourite. That's something to keep an eye out for.

Today I've taken some time over my shower, creaming and doing my hair, done my meal plan and shop, then going to have a relaxing evening.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure