Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    Just had the email saying that my broadband and phone are going up £2/month even though I only negotiated a new contract at the end of June.

Going to be on the phone to cancel again ..

Thank you for confirmation that notifications are still dripping out.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also go the email today - going up £3 for the 1st November. Will be calling to have a discussion over the next couple of days. Good thing for me is that my contract is up in December so even if I dont get a decent deal this time I can try again in December.
  • 100mb broadband and weekend phone. Was going up from £30 pm to £47. Rang to cancel and was offered £34 and said no. Call back 24 hours later from retentions offering the same package for £27 pm for 18 months and £50 credit. Chuffed to be paying less than before.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2018 at 8:58AM
    Just had the email saying that my broadband and phone are going up £2/month even though I only negotiated a new contract at the end of June.

Going to be on the phone to cancel again ..

I got through and told them I wasn't happy with the price rise. Was told they could give me no further discount but could credit my bill with £24 to cover the price increase over the next 12 months. Happy with that so took it.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I got through and told them I wasn't happy with the price rise. Was told they could give me no further discount but could credit my bill with £48 to cover the price increase over the next 12 months. Happy with that so took it.
    That seems to be their approach now. Customer doesn't effectively get hit by the increase immediately, but it goes through anyway. Gives the customer more reason to cancel come the end of the contract though.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone got a deal without a new 12mth contract?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Anyone got a deal without a new 12mth contract?
    I did, my contract ends in December. No change in that, but got a £54 credit to cover the £3 increase until my "loyalty" discount ends next June - and the increase hasn't even taken effect yet..

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    At ten month point of existing contract of 200Mb broadband only, £38 a month (with a £5 discount that applies till next May).

Rang and said I'd received the email, what can you do? Walked away with a new 12 month contract for 200Mb only broadband now at £33 a month, with a £2.50 increase kicking in at Nov - so even after the price rise I'm paying £2.50 less than I am now. No arguing, no haggling, no pressure. A quick five minute call.
  • I had a call from Retentions whilst I was at work, so missed it. Rang the number back just to check and got a pre-recorded message so tried the usual ‘thinking of leaving’ option and asked if they could help or put me through or even leave a note on my file to say contact after a certain time. No was the flat response to all and I’ve heard nothing since.

I’m happy to keep Virgin if they come up with a sensible price. Any ideas of how to tell Outbound retentions to call when I’m actually home?
  • Stumbled across this thread by chance - relating to my renewal about 6m ago - and i've not heard of the price increase before. Has everyone had an e-mail about it or are some still waiting?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback