Migraine-free wannabe

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    My prevention tips are to remain hydrated and don't get too tired or too hot.

My non-medicinal treatment options are a single coffee or can of (diet) coke. I guess it is the caffeine that helps.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 836
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with the too much sleep trigger, as well as not enough - also sleep at different times triggers a migraine too. I always get a migraine after the clock go back in the Autumn, it jiggers my body clock. However I am fine when the clocks go forward in Spring for some reason.

I take Maxalt Melts for my migraines, but I also have a very strange but cheap and works for me 'medication' when I have an attack.... an Aldi Belgian Bun! One of these eaten with a cup of tea can stop a migraine developing too far, or I cut one up and nibble on it through the day when I have a migraine but no longer feel nauseous. I have no idea why the bun works so well, it is just the perfect combination of stodge and sweetness for me. I have discovered that the buns freeze well, so I always keep several in the freezer for migraine days. I can't stand the things the rest of the time, it's just all I crave when the dreaded M strikes....!

I've tried other makes of Belgian Buns by the way, and none work as well as the Aldi ones. I have no idea why.

I also have no idea whether this will help anybody else, but the buns are about £1.00 for a pack of 2, so not expensive to try.

:)

Belgian buns made me laugh too, unfortunately not an Aldi store near,
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    My prevention tips are to remain hydrated and don't get too tired or too hot.

My non-medicinal treatment options are a single coffee or can of (diet) coke. I guess it is the caffeine that helps.

I find caffeine helps as well, and use the (single) coffee and/or diet coke option during a migraine. I drink tea during the day, which also helps.

I find chocolate can be good too, which is a bit bizarre as this is a trigger for some people.

Another stand-by for me when I am feeling really nauseous with a migraine is 'sucky sweets', my favourite being the mints 'Reflets de France Pastille Mineral Sweets' which are available from Waitrose/Ocado. I also use these to take away the horrible taste of the Maxalt Melts. They can really calm my stomach.

I eat healthily the rest of the time, honestly! :o
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Weirdly I LOVE the taste of Maxalt melts.

Can't have coffee or tea when I get a migraine. The first sign is often me throwing up my morning cuppa.

Have noticed the last few days that I have a headache when I wake which goes with my first cup of coffee. Not sure if I'm just thirsty or if I need the caffeine. It's only instant coffee so not much caffeine. I have to wake up in the night to take tablets for a different medical condition so going to start drinking a full glass of water when I do that to see if it helps.

I once met a man through work who had had migraines. He reckoned he no longer got them and said he had found ten things, each of which helped by 10% when he started with a migraine. One was caffeine, another was a bag of ready salted crisps (the salt helped absorb water apparently and the carbs from the crisps helped too), another was a pint of water and another a shot of vodka (he reckoned blood vessels dilate or something with alcohol!) I can't remember the other things. I am just going to try ginger for now.

Hubby said yesterday that I am like a different person the last two months as I am much more laid back and relaxed. We moved house and now feel settled and we're living somewhere very quiet so don't have neighbour hassles or anything that could worry me. I gave up work too so that's less stress. I wonder if that will help.

Saturday is my due day for a migraine. It has been every four weeks for a few months, to the day. So curious to see if it will happen.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Have you tried any Triptans?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used to take propanolol. Worked well for me for a few years until I got a dry throaty cough every 5 mins (apparently a side effect). Stopped the medication and cough went away.
    Presumably as your hubby is a medical professional you've discussed such options?

I am now using this product and it appears to have stopped my migraines (monthly so I believe hormonal).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057RKQ1E/?coliid=I3RULRL9WPWYW1&colid=1H57N0SMVKJWE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

No - I do not sell this product.
    I have considered whether it's a placebo but it works on babies and I never expected it to work and I'm not a strong believer in aromathoerpy or alternative therapies in general (but it's working).
    If it relieves me of horrible suffereing then in one sense I don't care why/how it works (but I'm curious).
    I also tried some medication (amytriptyline) which did nothing and I would have a stronger psycchological bias towards medication so I don't believe it's working as a placebo (other people also say it works).

Obviously I can't guarantee it would work for you but it might be worth a try?
    Can get it from ebay/amazon but be careful which country you're buying if from if you don't want the chance of customs charges as it's not generally sold in UK only US, so ebay/amazon sellers might be from US. Several will ship to Argos.
    I am really glad I tried it am I'm curious about how smells work (methol in this case).
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    Have you tried any Triptans?

Triptans mentioned several times in earlier posts. Maxalt is rizatriptan.

I am off them due to side effects. Though we have a few in.
  • JennyP
    Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I used to take propanolol. Worked well for me for a few years until I got a dry throaty cough every 5 mins (apparently a side effect). Stopped the medication and cough went away.
    Presumably as your hubby is a medical professional you've discussed such options?

I am now using this product and it appears to have stopped my migraines (monthly so I believe hormonal).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057RKQ1E/?coliid=I3RULRL9WPWYW1&colid=1H57N0SMVKJWE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

No - I do not sell this product.
    I have considered whether it's a placebo but it works on babies and I never expected it to work and I'm not a strong believer in aromathoerpy or alternative therapies in general (but it's working).
    If it relieves me of horrible suffereing then in one sense I don't care why/how it works (but I'm curious).
    I also tried some medication (amytriptyline) which did nothing and I would have a stronger psycchological bias towards medication so I don't believe it's working as a placebo (other people also say it works).

Obviously I can't guarantee it would work for you but it might be worth a try?
    Can get it from ebay/amazon but be careful which country you're buying if from if you don't want the chance of customs charges as it's not generally sold in UK only US, so ebay/amazon sellers might be from US. Several will ship to Argos.
    I am really glad I tried it am I'm curious about how smells work (methol in this case).

Tried propanolol and another beta blocker. No effect.

Amytriptaline was brilliant for six months. I loved it. Then the effects wore off. I would love to try it again but the consultant for my other condition has banned it.

Weirdly I use menthol type things too. Either 4head or a cheap version from poundland or tiger balm. They ease the pain. So do ice packs and conversely hot water bottles.

There used to be a lovely one that was a mix of peppermint and lavendar and very natural and that worked too but the company was bought out. Am hoping they'll make it again.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am using it as a preventative, not as relief.
    I have avoided 2 monthly migraines so far.
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    I have the same trouble. When I first feel the niggle I have to get Ibruprofen in me, otherwise I end up vomiting and crawling into bed for hours. One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.

My GP prescribed me Sumatriptan, which are miracle pills as far as I am concerned. But I ration their use to when a migraine threatens to paralyse me as you only get 6 pills per prescription, which I pay for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback