Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    maman wrote: »

My DGD has gone back to university today but it's her birthday next weekend so we'll get to see her again soon. She was in halls last year but today she's moving into a house with friends. It's DH's birthday on Thursday. I'm hoping we'll go out somewhere nice for the day. I have ideas but really he needs to decide as it shouldn't be my choice. So likely to be 2 meals out this week which while good to have an opportunity to dress up a bit isn't good for the weightloss!:rotfl:

It's my birthday next week too!!!

I normally have a 'me' day but I have a work event that day. I could have missed it, but it's a fun event, so I don't mind going in for it. I like to have a couple of 'me' days a year, where I take the day off and do something nice like treating myself to a beauty treatment, nice lunch and a bit of shopping or an event etc. I normally have one for my birthday and one in Feb/March. I work full time and the majority of my annual leave goes on school holidays, so I don't get much time to myself. In theory, I have Fridays to myself, as I work compressed hours. But, I have to do the school run, so it doesn't leave me with much time to do anything productive.
  • chanie
    Just like Indie we are doing some home fabbing. We've decided to turn the box room into a bedroom for DS (we were using it for storage) and the decorate DD's room. The cost of decorating will be low, as OH will be doing the work, but we will need to buy furniture for their rooms and also our room.

DS room - painting, bedding, shelving and a chest of drawers.
    DD room - painting, curtains, bedding, wardrobe and chest of drawers
    Our room - 2 wardrobes and chests of drawers.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Must be something in the air chanie! We're doing some decorating too or rather, because DH is busy, we've got painters in.
    They're painting the outside of the house and also hall/stairs/landing inside and giving the kitchen a lick of paint.

They are irritating though. They should have started last Wednesday when we were away but we came home to find nothing!! They didn't contact us to say why so we pursued them by phone/text/email until eventually on Saturday they said they'd start Monday at 8.00 a.m. Turned up 20-30 minutes late both days and have already finished for the day!! Fortunately we're paying for the job rather than daily but what a charmed life!

Hope your DH behaves better!:D
  • chanie
    maman wrote: »

Hope your DH behaves better!:D

I wish!!! I always remind OH of the fact that when I was expecting DD he promised he would finish decorating the bathroom before DD was born. She's just turned 5 and it still needs completing.

In fairness, its only a small job.
  • Hello Ladies,

I did not get to Pizza Express last Sunday, as I was just so physically exhausted, all I needed was lots of rest to be fit for work on the Monday.

Even though working makes me ache all over and gives me chest pains (which are so not good), I am thankful to be able to do light duties. I am just taking each day as it comes.

I went to my local Odeon yesterday morning to watch Their Finest and I really enjoyed this film. :D I would give this film 9/10. I then treated myself with lunch at Pizza Express using one of my Nectar Summer Rewards vouchers. It got me 2 free pizzas, so I had one for lunch and bought the other one home and put it in the fridge. :T

Lambeth Council Benefits is turning out to be their usual lackluster selves. I was told on 4 occasions that I would have a new decision after my dispute form was logged onto the computer on 15th August, by the 11th September at the latest. So I phoned on the 12th September, only to find the goalposts have been changed and the latest date for the new decision is now September 27th. :( I was very unhappy, so I spoke to a Manager and got nowhere fast. I explained just how much the decision had negatively impacted on my finances, and she was sympathetic, but insisted nothing could be done until the 27th September had come and gone.:( So now I have to wait until the 27th September to get the new decision. If it has not been done by the 27th, then I have to call back on the 28th September and they will escalate the decision. I just have to be patient.2 weeks from now, it should be resolved and all the arrears of Housing Benefit should be paid. I had to pay £500 rent from my savings, so that my rent account would not go into arrears, as normally I pay my rent upfront and leave hundreds of pounds of credit on my rent account for lean times that I could not predict would happen. Like now. Thanks to Lambeth Council and their error I am having to fork out money that I should not be paying for rent and Council Tax. :mad:

I am going dancing on Friday evening, come what may. I am really looking forward to it. I just want an evening of doing one of the things that really make me happy. :D
  • Good morning lovely ladies.

Fab Friday. :rotfl: I will be going out later, just grocery shopping and maybe a bit of charity shop mooching. It feels quite autumnal again so probably a pair of trousers and a fine knit top, with either a coatigan or my trench coat, depending on whether or not it decides to rain. Smart casual today. Still haven't been successful in buying new trousers or jeans. Might try again today.

SUgarbaby.....how awful to have to be battling not just feeling below par but also having to fight for your benefits like that. It must be so stressful for you. I don't know ........the whole "system" just seems to be a shambles.

Same with the NHS I'm afraid. As you know I have problems with muscles and joints. I have had a fibro flare up this week and I've had killer backache. I am lucky in that I can afford to pay for Physio. NHS provision here is dire but it's the only thing that helps me so I just pay for my own treatments. Not everyone can afford this so they suffer in silence. It's not right really.

I hope you get things sorted out soon. Meanwhile enjoy dancing tonight. Get your glad rags on and have some fun. :D

Chanie......love the tale of your husbands procrastination over the bathroom, men are so funny aren't they sometimes. My husband was just the same. I either rolled up my sleeves or bribed the boys to help me. Or when he was working away, I just got someone in.

The funniest one was the hall. It desperately needed painting and being scared of heights I am hopeless with ladderwork (to be fair so was my husband). I said I would get a decorator. He said no I'll be ok, I'll do it, I'll manage. Anyway after a couple of years of waiting I got fed up and sneakily got a decorator in. I figured I could smooth things over after the event if he got upset.

He gave every appearance of not even noticing. I think he did, I think he just chose to maintain a diplomatic silence :rotfl: he was probably secretly relieved but didn't want to admit it. :D

Men, eh......you just gotta love 'em.
  • maman
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Fab Friday. :rotfl: I will be going out later, just grocery shopping and maybe a bit of charity shop mooching. It feels quite autumnal again so probably a pair of trousers and a fine knit top, with either a coatigan or my trench coat, depending on whether or not it decides to rain AGAIN. Smart casual today.

Much the same going on here LL. Every morning this week seems to have dawned bright and dry but at some time every day torrential rain (rarely forecast) comes on. :mad:

Sugarbaby.....how awful to have to be battling not just feeling below par but also having to fight for your benefits like that. It must be so stressful for you. I don't know ........the whole "system" just seems to be a shambles.

Same with the NHS I'm afraid. As you know I have problems with muscles and joints. I have had a fibro flare up this week and I've had killer backache. I am lucky in that I can afford to pay for Physio. NHS provision here is dire but it's the only thing that helps me so I just pay for my own treatments. Not everyone can afford this so they suffer in silence. It's not right really.

You have my sympathies too sugarbaby. I booked myself in for an eye test this week as I think I need to change my glasses. I only wear them for distances/driving but was aware of a deterioration. I'm very conscious because my mother had glaucoma so want to keep on top of things. They recommended a scan which cost £40. I had it willingly for peace of mind but I asked out of curiosity what would happen if I couldn't afford £40. The answer was that they'd refer me to the NHS and I'd go on a very long waiting list!:mad:

The funniest one was the hall. It desperately needed painting and being scared of heights I am hopeless with ladderwork (to be fair so was my husband). I said I would get a decorator. He said no I'll be ok, I'll do it, I'll manage. Anyway after a couple of years of waiting I got fed up

That's the main reason we've got the decorators in this week. My DH is good at DIY but there's a lot of hassle involved with hall/stairs/landing and the same with outside. We have ladders and DH isn't scared of heights but I feel more comfortable getting people in. Plus he's been putting it off for an age because he's always got something else to do. We've had 5 men here all week (only 2 today) but they seem to be everywhere.

I'm still battling against the few pounds I gained on holiday back in June/July. I just can't seem to shift it. I think it's because my lifestyle/diet is good for maintaining my weight and making the effort to lose after 6 years is hard. :(

DH's birthday yesterday and we had planned a day out. Unfortunately he's got a virus (mainly bad throat and chesty cough) so we postponed it but I did make us a nice meal last night. DGD1's birthday is this weekend so that'll be another meal out and Wednesday a friend's big birthday to celebrate. That's what I mean about my lifestyle getting in the way of weightloss. It's so hard to choose healthy options in restaurants. They seem to pad everything out with pastry or bread or batter. Then meals come with piles of chips and very few veg.:(

Seems all my posts have :( or :mad: after them today. Life is good really. Have a good weekend all when it comes.:A
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Am relatively fabbed for me...3/4 sleeve knee length dress in b&w, plaques and cute black ankle boots with a chunky cardi on top. Just nipped into Primarni to pick up some of their Jo Malone smellalikes, i also need a creamy nude eyeshadow so will wander thru Debenhams on the way back to the car park.

We have had some positive news re DH and his on-going work situation...now waiting for the final report so fingers crossed it may all be over by this Christmas (I had hoped for last but it wasn't to be )
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maman
    Floss wrote: »
    Am relatively fabbed for me...3/4 sleeve knee length dress in b&w, plaques and cute black ankle boots with a chunky cardi on top. Just nipped into Primarni to pick up some of their Jo Malone smellalikes, i also need a creamy nude eyeshadow so will wander thru Debenhams on the way back to the car park.

We have had some positive news re DH and his on-going work situation...now waiting for the final report so fingers crossed it may all be over by this Christmas (I had hoped for last but it wasn't to be )

Nice to hear good news floss.:)

What are the Jo Malone smellalikes? I have a Green tea perfume which I like. What have you been buying?

I can recommend the Aldi 'Jo Malone' type candles. I think there are 3 perfumes. From memory the one I like has basil in it. For any Aldi shoppers, in my store they're near the dishwasher stuff in the household aisle.
  • Ooh yeah, Floss what are these wondrous jo malone type smellies of which thou speaks. Pray do tell. Good news about hubbys job.

I have the Aldi look a like candles too. Absolute bargain, they smell lovely and look really posh.

This week I have had a little splurge.....my back was bad so I did some "sofa" shopping.. Bought some miracle wrinkle cream and fillers. No idea what they are like. I will test drive them and report back if any of them are any good. I'm very sceptical. I would probably be better off with Industrial strength pollyfilla. :rotfl:

If only we could do that, ha ha. I recently repainted our Victorian doorstep. You know the old "red" ones. Well it was in a sorry state so prior to Painting I applied a couple Layers of pollyfilla to give a nice even surface. It looks like new.

What a pity we can't do that with our faces......:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport