Help with drawdown strategy

Gallygirl_2
Gallygirl_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
My OH and myself are approaching retirement in the next few years. Ahead of that I am trying to understand which method to use to access our SIPP's either Flexi–access drawdown or Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sum (UFPLS).

Our SIPP's are approaching £300,000 each and we have ISA's of 250,000 each. We would like to ideally live off the natural yield from the mixture of funds, IT's, REITs we have until we hit State pension age and then either use that and reduce how much we are taking from our SIPP so we can leave something for our children or perhaps defer SP for a few years and then reduce withdrawals from SIPP.

What I cannot get my head round is how to take the yield from the SIPP's. We do not need a tax free lump sum ( mortgage free) and will have 2-3 years of planned annual spending in cash (£30,000 pa is our target) Do I crystallise them in one go? , in stages? How do I maintain the % allocation to funds if some are crystallised and some are not. We are currently with Interactive Investor but would consider moving if it makes managing this easier.

What method, flexi-drawdawn or UFPLS would suite our requirements best and how do we put these into practice.

TIA

Gallygirl

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What I cannot get my head round is how to take the yield from the SIPP's.

You will take a fixed regular income (or ad-hoc) rather than natual income. Typically, get the natural income paid into the cash account of the SIPP and then draw a figure that you know is sustainable from the cash account.

You would do this using flexi-access drawdown or phased flexi-access drawdown. Latter sounding more likely suitable given what you are written.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Its a consideration for you to think about drawing down your gains from ISA funds rather than the SIPP funds?

i.e. leave the SIPP's to grow (up & down) and be drawn down later by you or future generations?
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gallygirl wrote: »
    Our SIPP's are approaching £300,000 each and we have ISA's of 250,000 each. ... how much we are taking from our SIPP so we can leave something for our children.

If you are set on letting inheritance questions intrude on your strategy then you might like to consider drawing so little from your SIPPs that you pay no income tax (currently an annual £11,500 plus corresponding TFLS of £3833 if we ignore the interest on your savings) and thereafter live off your ISAs. To get a joint £30k you need take nothing from the ISAs or Emergency Cash except in years when some unusual expenditure arises. (And they do arise; in our case, more often than we expected.)

However (merry wheeze) take a bit from the ISAs or Emergency Cash and annually each contribute £2880 net to your SIPPs. This is a tax-effective way of avoiding having the SIPPs run down so quickly.

Once your state pensions begin then reduce your take from the SIPPs so that you still pay no income tax. At that point your SIPPs might hardly be running down at all. Your ISAs and EC will still be covering you from unusual expenditure and the grim prospect of care in old age.

If you are really keen to use SIPPs to avoid inheritance tax ask yourselves whether you can contribute more while you are still both working e.g. by withdrawing money from ISAs or your cash reserve. After all, if you are already 55 the money in SIPPs is about as easily accessible as the money in your ISAs.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • So are you saying just crystallise the dividends from the funds?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2017 at 6:43PM
    It looks as though the flexi-access drawdown approach is likely to be most suitable. That's because you can easily take just the tax free lump sum from all or part of one of the pots at the start and put the 75% into income drawdown. You can then put the tax free lump sum 25% into the ISA and have it grow there with no income tax cost if you take money out. This no tax way to get money into the ISA so it can generate tax free income is one of the nicer uses of the tax free lump sum.

From the taxable 75% you can draw out enough to at least use your income tax personal allowance each year, so you're getting it out tax free.

There is further income tax optimisation possible by learning about Venture Capital Trusts. Those provide income tax relief of 30% of the amount purchased that has to be repaid if you sell within five years. Also tax exempt dividends and no CGT. the one I tend to suggest to beginners here pays 7% dividend. What you can do to support this is taking out your full basic rate band of income from the taxable pension 75% for a few years early on and just move it into the ISAs as the five years expire. Or you can hold for the ongoing tax exempt dividend.

You appear to be considering taking far less than your actual income potential, which is probably more like £40-50,000 each. To learn more about that sort of potential have a read of the examples linked from this post in the Drawdown:safe withdrawal rates topic. A ley thing you need to know about income drawdown is that the amounts from safe withdrawal rates are cautious, assuming you live through some of the worst investing times when retired. In effect the inheritance ends up reduced mainly in cases where your children would be wanting you to look after yourselves first. To give some idea of how cautious, the old fashioned 4% rule would be 6.5% of pot as annual income if average results happened instead of worst and two thirds of the time when drawing 4% in the US the final amount would have been more than twice the starting amount, 96% of the time at least as much. Really big differences there between worst case and average or better that you can exploit if you're willing to adjust based on how your investments really do while retired.

There's one fairly easy way to still take natural yield and increase the income you take at the moment: peer to peer lending. The sort of places normally suggested here, Ablrate, Collateral and MoneyThing, normally pay about 12% raw interest rate with perhaps 10% if a loan defaults and the security has to be sold for less than the amount borrowed. 10% natural yield can greatly boost yield without exposing you to stock market risks and without any long term tie-in since you can offer to sell non-defaulted loans whenever you like and that doesn't normally take an excessive time. If you were to use the £325,000 you have from ISA now and the pension tax free lump sum in this way you'd generate around £32,500 a year (at 10%) of interest each from about 60% of your total investment pot. You should add more places to get to at least five platforms, some would pay less but £25,000-£30,000 a year each is easy enough.
  • jamesd
    edited 14 September 2017 at 6:21PM
    UFPLS is a fixed 25% tax free and 75% taxable from each amount drawn. It makes it harder to do the tax planning and still take the income you want so it's not a particularly great option when you will be drawing money over many years. You can use a mixture of the two, though.

Where pensions can do well under current rules is as an inheritance tax dodge. If you die before age 75 your nominated beneficiaries get a pension pot of their own that they can take tax free money out of whenever they like, any age. After age 75 the same but each portion of their pot is added to their taxable income whenever they take it. You can leave it to a baby and for the child's maintenance and skip the parents to save them tax, because money to a child can be used to pay for the child's needs. Particularly useful if you die after age 75 because the child won't have any other taxable income, probably, but still has an income tax personal allowance to use. While the parents are probably getting other income and already using their allowances. If someone dies while they still have one of these "beneficiary pension"s their own beneficiaries get a "successor pension", same tax treatment.

On the other hand, pension gifting by inheritance has a big disadvantage: you're dead so you can't see them enjoying the benefits of the gift. For this reason I tend to favour taking lots of income while alive and using that for gifting, something you can adjust if it turns out that you do live through unusually bad times, or increase if you do well. Gifts out of income like this are outside inheritance tax as soon as they are made. So you can do things like regular giving to the junior ISA's or pensions of grandchildren to set them up nicely for later life and know that you've done this well before you are dead.

With careful planning and some light VCT use you should be able to arrange things so that you never pay any more than a trivial amount of income tax in your future and nor do your beneficiaries.
  • jamesd
    Dividends from funds don't pay out regularly the same amounts so they aren't great for easily managed income provision. Instead what you'd look to do is leave some cash in the pensions and have that topped up by the dividends as they arrive. That cash then funds the regular payments and you top it up from time to time with more selling if needed. If you set the drawing monthly payments to about the natural yield you won't end up having to do selling because it won't be drained, though in reality bad dividend years will gradually deplete the cash.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gallygirl wrote: »
    So are you saying just crystallise the dividends from the funds?

No. I didn't mention dividends.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • jamesd wrote: »
    It looks as though the flexi-access drawdown approach is likely to be most suitable. That's because you can easily take just the tax free lump sum from all or part of one of the pots at the start and put the 75% into income drawdown. You can then put the tax free lump sum 25% into the ISA and have it grow there with no income tax cost if you take money out. This no tax way to get money into the ISA so it can generate tax free income is one of the nicer uses of the tax free lump sum.

So you are saying crystallise the whole ISA of 325000 and take the 25% tax free lump sum of 130,000. Its going to take me a few years to put that into ISA's. If I just crystallise a 100,000 each year that would give me a tax free lump sum of 25000 but I need the income from the 75,000 AND the remaining uncrystallised 225,000. I'm assuming a conservative yield of 3% so £300,000 should give me £9000 a year, add that to OH 9000 plus 3% from the 450,000 in the ISA's of 13,500 gives £31,500 per year. But how do we get that 3% from ALL of the SIPP, crystallised and uncrystallised?
  • jamesd
    edited 14 September 2017 at 6:58PM
    Either all at once or enough extra to fund £20,000 a year each into the ISA. All at once makes it easier to manage the investments because there won't be a chance of two pots to look at. More income tax potential on the bit not in the ISA yet so if you're willing to do a bit more work the 20k on top of what else you need each year is a bit more efficient.

If using VCTs it doesn't matter much because you'd just adjust the VCT to deal with whatever the tax bill is and get rid of most of it. At basic rate you'd make a tax profit as well as the likely investment gains.

If you crystallise £100,000 a year you'd take the taxable income solely out of the 75% of that by doing a bit of selling and let the dividends accumulate in the uncrystallised portion. You can't take income out of the uncrystallised except via UFPLS. You could juggle the two that way but it's not worth it. Just sell enough in the crystallised 75,000 so that the cash in it is enough to fund the regular income from the whole pot value. If that's to be £15,000 taxable each year, put £15,000 of the £75k into cash and none of the uncrystallised pot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure