Gumtree vent

motorguy
motorguy Posts: 22,452
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
I know this is nothing new but its very frustrating.

Advertised some stuff on gumtree including among other things, two PS4 controllers @ £20 each and a Toshiba 22 inch LCD TV, mint condition with a brand new remote control, fully working for £25

Various "normal" interest in the items, and the two controllers sold to one greatful dad for the £40 for the two asking price

Got a text later "will you take £20 for the two controllers?"

Replied, "no, they're both sold for the asking price of £40 for the two"

The following morning, the same guy "TV. Will you take £15?" (clearly not having learned that his offers were too low)

So i replied no (if it had been anyone else i'd have maybe considered it).

Then i had a thought - lets call him on this - so i replied "actually, changed my mind, i'll take the £15. When are you coming to pick it up?". Just to see what he would do.

Then he replied "where are you?"

So i replied "as per the advert, i'm in X".

"I'm in (X + 20 miles) away - will you meet me half way?"

:mad:

"For a TV advertised @ £25 with a new remote controller that cost £10, that you've offered £15 for? No, i dont think so"

Do people get off on being time wasters and winding people up or just expect something for basically nothing like the world owes them or something????

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I had that with an item recently.

It was for sale for £40, they offered £25 and could collect that evening, so I counter offered with £35 (very good value as initial price was reasonable).

They replied with yes please, I gave the address for collection, then they replied asking "so you'll take £25?"!! Er.... no!

It then sold 12 hours for £40, and then I got another message from above people saying would I take £30...

Facebook market place also seems to attract a lot of 'can you deliver' requests!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Not just Facebook. I'm doing very well on SHpock but am noticing an increase in the number of people wanting items delivered.

I had one last week, I posted about it on the dedicated SHpock group , got an offer for the full asking price but with the proviso I delivered. I assumed they were local as SHpock gives out the postcode of seller, so I asked buyer where they lived and they were nearly 30 miles away and the other side of London which would have cost me petrol and the congestion charge- the item was £5.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 12:14PM
    Brain of Britain messaged again this morning

"Still got the TV?"

(i've still the advert on as i am away with work at the min and not back to Friday)

"No, it sold for the asking price of £25. The lady is picking it up on Friday".

"I'll grab today as we agreed. £15".

"No, its sold for the asking price"

Idiot.
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    Not just Facebook. I'm doing very well on SHpock but am noticing an increase in the number of people wanting items delivered.

I had one last week, I posted about it on the dedicated SHpock group , got an offer for the full asking price but with the proviso I delivered. I assumed they were local as SHpock gives out the postcode of seller, so I asked buyer where they lived and they were nearly 30 miles away and the other side of London which would have cost me petrol and the congestion charge- the item was £5.

Is it that people are too obtuse to think it through or have we now got a society whereby people out there think that everything should come to them and they need make no effort at all in life?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:03PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    Is it that people are too obtuse to think it through or have we now got a society whereby people out there think that everything should come to them and they need make no effort at all in life?

I suspect you have it absolutely right- I've even offered stuff for free and after answering questions and agreeing a collection time I get the dreaded ' sorry but you can please drop it off this evening as my OHs taken the car and I need your widget urgently'.

Just remembered a good one from last year - offered a working printer ( for free) and showed a photo with the cabling that I was including . Had someone ask if I had a particular lead with it, can't remember the name but it links the printer with the PC, and I said no as I needed it for my new printer as they don't come in the box anymore, and the 'buyer' became quite abusive. Told me I was a time waster and he would only bother collecting if I threw in the missing cable - I told him not to bother and got more abuse.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If you want to meet real mess-you-around types, Freecycle is littered with them - to the point where I've stopped trying to give stuff away and just get my local charity shop to collect every so often when I've got enough on offer to make it worth their while.
  • motorguy
    Forumite
    Pun wrote: »
    If you want to meet real mess-you-around types, Freecycle is littered with them - to the point where I've stopped trying to give stuff away and just get my local charity shop to collect every so often when I've got enough on offer to make it worth their while.

Yes, i take your point entirely on that.

If this TV doesnt sell to the lady who says shes taking it, i think i'll take it to a charity shop rather than for the sake of £15 engage with this dolt who will no doubt mess me around even more
  • Pun wrote: »
    Agreed. Put my grandads old golf clubs, bag and trolley on Freecycle, had a message saying saying they'd take it, you then turn down another six people who are interested, the man never shows or responds to messages, you lost again, lather, rinse, repeat.

The bloke who actually showed up on the 4th listing then was sniffy about the condition of the bag (which I'd described as 1980's or 1990's Dunlop golf bag, worn and faded but still functional) and said it was a bit tatty. I was very tempted to tell him to do one, but simply had got tired of the listing circle.

My (occasional) EBay sales have pretty much dried up too, but getting a bit of success, albeit only relative to EBay and Freecycle, selling on Facebook. Although the issues raised above about Facebook selling are very relevant...
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 8:12PM
    Before she moved house, my sister hired a skip so she could have a good clear out.

This included an old B&W portable tv which didn't work - only had half a picture if memory serves me right.

Within a few minutes of putting the tv in the skip, a neighbour knocked on the door to ask if she knew that she had a tv in the skip. Yes, she knew, it was being thrown out because it didn't work. Neighbour then asked if he could take the tv. Yes, he could - but it didn't work.

He was back within 5 minutes complaining that the tv didn't have a plug fitted. My sister explained that the plug/fuse had been used for something else - because the tv didn't work.

He went off muttering - only to return the next day in a right mood 'because the tv she had given him didn't work'.
  • Before she moved house, my sister hired a skip so she could have a good clear out.

This included an old B&W portable tv which didn't work - only had half a picture if memory serves me right.

Within a few minutes of putting the tv in the skip, a neighbour knocked on the door to ask if she knew that she had a tv in the skip. Yes, she knew, it was being thrown out because it didn't work. Neighbour then asked if he could take the tv. Yes, he could - but it didn't work.

He was back within 5 minutes complaining that the tv didn't have a plug fitted. My sister explained that the plug/fuse had been used for something else - because the tv didn't work.

He went off muttering - only to return the next day in a right mood 'because the tv she had given him didn't work'.

I know we all have our "magic moments" but some people take it to the next level.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::doh::doh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport