No generation since 3rd August!

Options
Just been entering my import/export readings for the last few weeks (I have been slacking off), and I haven't had anything for the last couple of weeks.

Week 27/7 - 39kWh
Week 3/8 - 9kWh
Week 10/8 - 0kWh
Week 17/8 - 0kWh
Week 24/8 - 0kWh

:(:(:(:(

Generation meter light is solid on.

Anything I can do before I call the letting agent to have it inspected?

Our weekly import has spiked to over £10/ week when it is usually less than £4. :(

Comments

• gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI
    When you had your panels installed, they should have given you a sheet of info on how to power the system down and up again.
    When powered down leave for a good half hour and the turn on in the right sequence.
    Then check the inverter for any fault codes.
    Can you access via Bluetooth software from inverter company.
    If you can then you maybe see error codes from that.
    regards
    gefnew
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 August 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    gefnew wrote: »
    HI
    When you had your panels installed, they should have given you a sheet of info on how to power the system down and up again.
    When powered down leave for a good half hour and the turn on in the right sequence.
    Then check the inverter for any fault codes.
    Can you access via Bluetooth software from inverter company.
    If you can then you maybe see error codes from that.
    regards
    gefnew
    We are renting and the system was installed before we moved in. I have no paperwork.

AFAIK, there is an isolator near the consumer unit, and another in the loft by the inverter. There may be one on the DC side too, I can't remember.

I have no idea what order to flip the switches.

EDIT: Our inverter is a Samil, a Solar River something or other.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Just been in the loft and the inverter has a fault light on and the display says 'relay failure'. :(
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Just been in the loft and the inverter has a fault light on and the display says 'relay failure'. :(

Hiya. You can try a reboot, or if being 'super careful' tell your landlord the system is down, and offer to do a reboot.

Procedures in this video, might get lucky, but don't hold your breath. :(

Samil Solar Inverter Relay Failure

Good luck.

PS - Gently tell your landlord that Samil have gone bust!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Thanks Mart. I have told the letting agent that the unit has a fault. I might ask if they want me to try a reboot, there only other option is a inverter replacement I guess?

Can I tell them they won't be getting any Fit as an incentive to get it repaired, or would that be fibbing?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Mart. I have told the letting agent that the unit has a fault. I might ask if they want me to try a reboot, there only other option is a inverter replacement I guess?

Can I tell them they won't be getting any Fit as an incentive to get it repaired, or would that be fibbing?

Hiya, if it ain't generating, then there's no FiT and no export payments as they are paid on generation, so I'd definitely mention it as Sept/Oct are decent months and will lose a fair bit of income.

Does your lease mention the PV and make great play about reduced leccy bills? If so you might be able to argue for some recompense, but is it worth rocking the boat?

You'll have to move now, to start playing the PV game again. :think:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lstar337
    Options
    I won't bother going down the route of asking for compensation, I just want them to fix asap. They can be quite slow with things 'they' deem a low priority. Hopefully the loss of fit and export payments will be enough to get them moving faster than usual.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Well I offered to do the shutdown/reboot and they jumped at the chance. It's quite frustrating because they don't really know anything about the system.

Anyway, I did the reset and no such luck. The relay failure is still there.

The letting agent has informed EDF (Fit provider) the land lord (which I'm happy about because he gets things done, and fast), and their electrician.

Any chance you could give me a run down of what to do next (as if it were my system), so I can keep the letting agent on-track and make sure they are doing the right things?

Thanks for your help so far.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    PS - Gently tell your landlord that Samil have gone bust!
    Anyway, I did the reset and no such luck. The relay failure is still there.
    The letting agent has informed EDF (Fit provider) the land lord (which I'm happy about because he gets things done, and fast), and their electrician.
    Any chance you could give me a run down of what to do next (as if it were my system), so I can keep the letting agent on-track and make sure they are doing the right things?

Thanks for your help so far.
    Not wishing to butt in; Samil may have gone bust, is the installer still around? I so, then it is down to the installer to fix the problem even if they have to source an alternative make of Inverter....coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • lstar337
    Options
    Not wishing to butt in; Samil may have gone bust, is the installer still around? I so, then it is down to the installer to fix the problem even if they have to source an alternative make of Inverter....coffee.gif
    System was installed start of 2014. Is it likely to be covered by the installer?

Found a warranty card in the Samil manual, not filled out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure