The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• silvertabby_2
    Options
    Been away with work for a few days. Managed a run on Monday then went out yesterday morning but it was so hot I only managed 15 minutes. I felt so guilty I went out for 35 minutes last night after it had cooled down. I thought I would try strata to see the distance and speed however when I got home I hadn't managed to record the run so was a little disappointed. Will try again in my next run.
  • LondonGirl252
    LondonGirl252 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Completely fell off the running wagon this week but have 3 scheduled for next week to tackle the next chunk of my running app to get me up to 5k. Knees are feet have been twinging a bit but hoping they'll be alright!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all
    Can I join you please?
    In the last 18 months I've lost about 7 stones and 'found' running. I now run 4-5 times a week. I've completed a few 5k comps (PB 33mins) and 1x 10K (1:09). I'm running in the MK women's 10K next weekend and I'm also signed up to do my first half marathon in Oxford in the Autumn. I've also joined the lottery for the London Marathon May 2016. I run with a club a couple of times a week and they are great support. More support is appreciated!
    Thanks
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome Annie021063, the more the merrier! I look forward to hearing your progress, keep up the good work.

I went out last night and did another week 2 day. I put a bit of heat on the right knee and it all feels fine today so I think I will get cracking on week 3 again.

lesley74, I was also wondering if it was my trainers. I'm currently wearing some Skechers Sports but I've now ordered some proper running trainers. To be honest I didn't want to buy any new trainers to start off with as I didn't trust myself to actually get started and carry on with it. Hopefully they will help.

Re hot and cold, I watched a programme a while ago where some people ran a race and when they'd finished some had an ice bath, some had a warm bath and the others did nothing and it showed that the people who did nothing took longer to recover but of the other two groups there was minimal difference. It seems that elite athletes probably benefit from ice baths in some way but for the rest of us let's stick to the heat!
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all! You can add me to the 'falling apart' club :o

I went out last night and was fine for 20 minutes then my foot started feeling a bit tender. I carried on for 5 more minutes but after a big hill my foot was just agony so i had to stop. Bit gutted really as i could have gone on but i was in so much pain :(

On the plus side, my sister came past on her way home from work so i got a lift the rest of the way! :D

I'll see how i feel tomorrow, the pain's gone which is good so i'll try again tomorrow and try and choose less hills :o
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Welcome Annie021063, the more the merrier! I look forward to hearing your progress, keep up the good work.

I went out last night and did another week 2 day. I put a bit of heat on the right knee and it all feels fine today so I think I will get cracking on week 3 again.

lesley74, I was also wondering if it was my trainers. I'm currently wearing some Skechers Sports but I've now ordered some proper running trainers. To be honest I didn't want to buy any new trainers to start off with as I didn't trust myself to actually get started and carry on with it. Hopefully they will help.

Re hot and cold, I watched a programme a while ago where some people ran a race and when they'd finished some had an ice bath, some had a warm bath and the others did nothing and it showed that the people who did nothing took longer to recover but of the other two groups there was minimal difference. It seems that elite athletes probably benefit from ice baths in some way but for the rest of us let's stick to the heat!

I ran in Karrimor trail running trainers when I started c25k for the same reason as you, I already owned them and didn't want to spend if I wasnt going to stick with it. After week 2 day 1 I ended up with such bad pain in my knees I had to stop for 3 weeks. I bought a pair of New Balance 5k road running trainers (sports direct so not expensive) and have had no real knee pain since so I think getting the right shoes is a must.
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Went out at 8pm on Thursday and did 3k in 22 mins. I thought later would be better but the heat still got the better of me - my feet were stupidly hot which I hate. If only they had 3k races, I think I could make that my speciality :)

Other than that, my hip is still sore. I was going to try and do 5k tomorrow but may leave the running totally until Race for Life on 5th July. We have an exercise bike so I can use that over the next few days to lessen the impact on my hip. I'm enjoying the running so hopefully this is something that will resolve itself.
  • Annie021063
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »

Thanks for the welcome. I began my running journey with C25K, it's a great programme, good luck.
  • Annie021063
    Options
    Completed a long run this morning in training for half marathon. I ran 14k in 1:52 ave 8.01 per k, if I keep this up I'm hoping to run the half marathon in about 2:50. Does anyone else find they can keep up an average pace for 21k or do you slow considerably later in race?
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    So I've got my new trainers, all good. BUT, I don't know when I'm going to wear them due to this heat. I usually head out around 4.30 and was planning on doing so today but as I want to move onto week 3 again I wonder if it might be a bit much. If I don't go today I definitely won't be going for days with it due to get even hotter.

I feel guilty for not going out, does the guilt mean I'm not doing the wrong thing? :D

I could try a different time, when I first thought about doing this I considered going out before work, that seems a bit rash now :rotfl:

Can anyone else ease my guilt and tell me they're also taking a 'heat break'?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure