The Scariest Thing I Have Ever Done....

Comments

• SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    McTaggus wrote: »
    Sue, thanks for the advice! I have actually just opened a new savings account called "Smoking Savings" :) I'm going to put the money in there, so I can visually see how much I save each week when I log into my bank account! I think having that there will help with the incentive! Off to research e-cigs now....! Let me know if you have any recommendations!

Just start off with a cheap one and it does take a bit to get used to, OH was a 60 a day man :eek::eek::eek: None since
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Similar for us. In the SE, mortgage of £495k with LTV 90%. I'm a FTB with partner. We want to start OP once we've got some modernisation done to the house (needs COMPLETE refurb, bought off a 96 year old man). As you said, every pound overpaid is less interest. I hate looking at the KFI and seeing 'for every pound borrowed you pay £1.67 back'. That's assuming we follow the course of the 29 year mortgage obviously.

We have a RTB as well (partners old house, I went in on that too for affordability) and we plan on using the profit from that to overpay.

I'm going to follow this thread as inspiration :)
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Charliewocka, so glad you posted and to know there's someone else in the same boat as me! I was starting to have a panic that taking that amount as a FTB might have been a crazy idea, but then thought about the fact its not dissimilar to the rent I pay now - and at least this way its being paid toward my own home!!!

It sounds like you've got a fun challenge ahead of you! I know refurbs can be hugely stressful, but so exciting at the same time! I hope you're keeping a photo diary of the transformation! I'd love to hear about it!

I know we'll refurb completely over time, but it's not a major rush for us to do - it will have to be done alongside everything else, and we'll need to learn how to do some stuff ourselves, but I'm looking forward to being able to start!

Unfortunately, no RTB on my side, just a lot of determination! ;) And hopefully a bonus or two along the journey! :p
  • Khrisjun
    Khrisjun Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi McTaggus,

Will be following your journey, sounds like your getting prepared before hand which is always good!

Regarding your sky subscription, i wouldnt go online and staart reducing your subscription down - If your outside of contract give them a ring and imply you are looking to cancel/move elsewhere due to price - They can offer some fantastic retention deals
  • McTaggus
    Great advice! Thank you!!!! I couldn't make any changes online anyway - it said I would need to call - so will definitely go down that route :)
  • My dog ruptured his cruciate just before Christmas too - are we cousins or something?! Unfortunately no insurance for us and £4k bills to pay :( We did have insurance before we moved to the UK with Allianz but couldn't transfer our policy to a UK one, and all pre-existing current insured conditions would no longer be covered. And with two dogs and a cat the price rocketed and wasn't financially viable. Whilst he has made a good recovery, looks like the other one is on its way out now :( Breaks my heart but they are my babies and all are rescues so I will do anything to make sure that they have happy lives.

Just be careful though, if you move to another insurer they will not cover any pre-existing condition or symptom, so ANYTHING muscular-skeletal is likely to be excluded. Personally, I would stay with the current insurer, especially if they have paid out the claim OK. Better to know that they will be covered. We were told that if one cruciate goes, there would be a 60% chance of the other going reasonably soon (looks like our vet is psychic :rolleyes: ).

Refurb is killing us right now. We have the entire contents of our kitchen and bathroom in our lounge. Even down to the toilet (disconnected!) in there while plastering is being done in those rooms. Lounge next week so need to reverse everything then getting ready for plumber to fit new hot water system and bathroom install (we'll do all that ourselves). Stressed isn't the word for it! And mr CW wants us to have a talk about starting a family soon - pft! I've told him once the house is habitable :D Massive improvements though and even looking back now over the past 4 months there are major changes!

Best of luck though! Know what you mean about the rent. I am better off financially quite a bit - my share of mortgage is £400 cheaper pcm than my rent was, and then all bills are halved so that's good. However it all disappears into a black hole at the moment with projects! :D:D

Always here to have a chat about it!
  • Tip we did for TV was buy a HUMAX box - we have freesat stations, massive hard drive to record and can watch TV back over a 7 day period. Was about £200 initially but far cheaper than a subscription and pays itself back pretty soon. We do have SKY for internet though. Got 12 months free broadband, just pay £17 line rental. Went through Quidco to get £75 cashback AND SKY gave us a £100 prepaid credit card which was handy for the Christmas shopping!
  • McTaggus
    Sorry to hear about your boy, that sounds really tough! I really hope the other one doesn't go too soon, and that its just a tweak to it because he's so reliant on that leg while the other one heals.

Our vet said the same about the other one going, though we know she did hers playing "squeaky ball" as it was clear she landed and twisted the leg really badly. With any luck it won't be degenerative in the other leg, but will have to wait and see for now. She's still on limited exercise right now, but making good recovery! Our other dog has what the vet described as "haggis bladder" - haha - which means she also has repeated issues. On that basis, I can't help but think we'd just be better off staying put!!!

Refurb sounds incredible! Unless you have to, don't rush the starting a family. My husband came with 4 mini-me's and believe me nothing prepared you for it! Get as ready as you can in the house in advance, as once you're in there's no turning back!! And, as a childless step mum, I would be the first to say it turns life on its head!!! Plans go completely out of the window and, as wonderful as it is, don't take the decision lightly!!!

Thanks also for the tips! And for the support! As a fellow "OMG I'm back in the UK" it's great to find like-minded spirits on the same journey to turn to for advice!
  • Yup, I'm also back in the UK, about 2.5 years now. Part of me is looking for a new adventure but I also know I'm ever 'the grass is always greener....' and deep down I want to settle. Luckily I work for a company that is really supportive so who knows what the future will bring!

4 mini-mes?! Yikes, definitely hands full for you all! We have enough with Mr CWs niece and nephews when they come over :D When it comes to starting a family we need to plan as I may be a carrier for a genetic condition and need to be screened and then look at possibilities, so first step for us in that regards is deciding when we are both strong enough to go for the tests which would take a while with all the counselling and discussions you have to have before proceeding. But we are both engineers so like to be prepared and analytical in every way :D
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Hello and welcome! Just wanted to say best of luck and I will be popping in with interest to follow your journey! Hope your furbaby heals up nice and quick!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure