City Equities Ltd and/or Beaufort Securities Ltd

Anyone been involved with or aware of City Equities Ltd and/or Beaufort Securities Ltd? The reason I ask is that I got an email out of the blue, to my Hotmail account, from City Equities introducing Beaufort Securities. The email was gently dropped by my email filter into my Junk mail folder, so I almost missed it. Later, I got an email from Beaufort Securities with an IPO for the Royal Mail.

Now this all seems a little odd as a) I don't recall having had any dealings with City Equities and, b) if I had, it is unlikely that I would have given them my Hotmail account details.

Is it a scam?

I'm not going to be following the offer up as, arriving as it did, it might as well have been painted scarlet and hoisted up a flagpole.

But I would be interested in feedback and opinions. Thanks

Regards, TMS

Comments

• gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Beaufort Securites are legitimate stockbrokers - I use their non-advisory service (Beaufort Sharedealing) and they are registered with the Gov for the Royal Mail IPO.
  • TMS_
    TMS_ Posts: 10 Forumite
    I didn't say that Beaufort Securities are not legitimate stockbrokers. The points you make appear to be valid.

But why would a legitimate, professional, financial organisation cold call a hotmail account? That does not seem like a good thing to do.

I am not aware of any interaction with City Equities, nor Beaufort Securities, so their emails were unwanted and unwelcome intrusions.

I share my *personal* or *business* email accounts with the financial organisations that I do deal with. So, had they passed my details on, I would have expected an email to one of those accounts. It may still have been unwelcome but it may have been more understandable.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    City Equities appear to be legit as well (they are FCA registered).

Can't comment on why they would be spamming you, or why they would be introducing what appears to be a competitor.

Are you sure the emails were from them and not spoofed as part of a scam pretending to be from them and trying to cash in on the Royal Mail IPO.
  • TDPIX
    TDPIX Posts: 263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, both Beaufort and City Equities Ltd are legit.

Regarding the e-mail, is it possible that you signed up to a mailing list or shares offer a while ago? Perhaps that was 'powered' by CEL?
  • TMS_
    TMS_ Posts: 10 Forumite
    @TDPIX: thanks for your suggestion. However, as I say, any financial organisations that I have dealt with would *not* have a hotmail account.

@gb12345: that is a possibility; hence the original question :) The City Equities email was filtered out but I still saw it and it raised my awareness of the brand ... which was then linked to Beaufort Securities.

Sadly, as with most spam that I get, the emails are long deleted. Should have looked more closely but they did look OK. Again, hence the question.

I would be good if someone from City Equities and/or Beaufort Securities were to comment.
  • arjar
    arjar Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been both cold called and emailed by Beaufort Securities this week for the first time. Their email says "As a former client/subscriber to City Equities Ltd we'd like to welcome you to Beaufort Securities with a special offer......"

I am a former (very unhappy!) client of City Equities, but was intrigued about how Beaufort had got my email address and phone number. Their representative said that they had 'acquired' the details from City Equities who (Beaufort says) are now in administration.

There were some web reports a few weeks ago about City Equities needing re-capitalisation. Their FCA registration still seems current and their website is still up and running. However, an email from me to the person named on the FCA website as their contact for complaints, was returned as a delivery failure today. I can't find any other reference on the web to City Equities being in administration.

I've complained about the call to the TPS (telephone preference service) and may follow this up with the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) if I get no satisfaction from TPS.

If anyone knows anything more about the situation of City Equities, I'd be interested to hear it.
  • simonm_3
    simonm_3 Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2013 at 5:40PM
    Hi, While Beaufort might be legit, having been with them and taken their advisory service over the years, all I can say is it is awful. On the last few transactions where I have been recommended to sell and buy, the only person to make any money is clearly Beaufort, the sold company invariably goes up, the bought one goes down. The advice - when my advisor was replaced, was sell everything and re-invest in one, but I said that the cost of selling everything, lots of small cap investments that had lost me loads of money thanks to their awful advice would leave me with virtually nothing to invest, the advice came straight back.. I recommend you sit on everything and wait for it to recover.
    An example, following their advice, I had 1000 shares in ARM, they said it was about to go down and I should sell and wait for it to go up, foolishly and against my better judgement I did, two weeks later, ARM having gone up I was advised to buy ARM, so, thanks to their help I have gone from 1000 to slightly over 900 shares! Don't ask me about INFINIS which has just gone down and down, same with Barclays all strong buy recommendations from Beaufort.
    Yes, of course shares go down as well as up, but I expect the experts to do slightly better than flipping a coin, certainly better than had I consistently done the opposite - I would be well off had I done so!
  • I too have been contacted by Beaufort securities but know nothing of City Equities. They have contacted me by e-mail and then followed up with their 'free' portfolio advisory service. I inquired how they got my e-mail/telephone number and were told they had bought out Simply Stockbroking that I had/have (lapsed) a account with.
    Having now googled Simply I have come up with the following statement (amongst much other Beaufort info)
    "Since SimplyStockbroking was renamed Beaufort Sharedealing and the takeover and rebranding of HB Markets plc as Beaufort Securities Ltd in May 2013 the Group's Online Execution-only account holders and Advisory Stockbroking account holders have accessed their portfolios via two separate websites. "
    from the website beaufortsecurities.com/important-information-W21page-164- sorry but I can't post the URL's

Whether they are good at this service or not is another question as I have not used their advice but when active, used the Simply interface which had a lot of research data available.

Does this answer a few of the contact queries posed, it does for me?
    I hope this helps a little.
  • I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add my 2cents, as I work in the stockbroking/ investment management sector.

City Equities and Beaufort Securities (which took over Hoodless Brennan (itself re-branded to HB Markets, presumably because of the reputation it had built up - google 'Hoodless Brennan cold calling' and you'll see what I mean)) are both what's referred to in the trade as 'spank shops'. They flog shares, their brokers are paid mostly commission; they are not in the business of building you a portfolio.

Beaufort is FCA registered, and City Equities was FCA registered when it was in existence. To be clear, that does not mean they are/ were reputable firms. It should do, but it doesn't. I've even checked on the FCA register - one firm was setup by two guys who'd worked at a spank shop for a year at most (which was later shut down), and then they were allowed to start their own firm at the grand old of age of about 26, with no experience! It really does beggar belief.

Beaufort since taking over Hoodless Brennan at first glance seems to have become more professional, but it still has the same people working there, who are probably still remunerated on the same terms. And if they're still cold calling or emailing people, well that says it all.

The FCA and the FSA before it allowed some very unscrupulous firms to oprerate, cold calling clients, with very sharp sales practices (ironic when you consider how difficult they have made life for reputable firms). Often they only invested in AIM shares, and were driven by commission, often destroying little old ladies' share portfolios in the process. Total scumbags in almost anyone's book.

Thankfully following the Retail Distribution Review, the number of these firms have dwindled, but they're still out there. Nowadays, they tend to focus on CFDs, or foreign exchange rather than AIM; some are totally unregulated and will try and flog you things like timber or commodities (often they don't own what they're purporting to sell).

In short: never invest money with someone who has cold called you, or otherwise contacted you out of the blue - reputable firms don't do this in the UK. Sadly being FCA registered doesn't guarantee that a firm is reputable.
  • Tomc144
    Tomc144 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my experience AVOID Beaufort Securities. Their website dealing interface is complete rubbish and insufficient to manage your share holdings if you buy and sell. They are cheap charging £8 a deal and no management charges but the interface does not give sufficient info for quick dealing. I was cold called by them asking to me to transfer back to them (they were formerly Hoodless Brennan) but they went bust or whatever and I was shipped off to TD. I really wish I had stayed with TD Waterhouse. Stupidly I did go with Beaufort and now regret it. I've enquired about transferring out but I've been told they charge £16 per stock holding to transfer out. A big rip off but I'll do it to get back with a decent company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure