PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Comments

• Daisydoll
    Daisydoll Posts: 544 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies am going to have a go today!
    DFW no.630!
  • good luck, hope it turns out ok and most importantly tastes good :)
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
  • clairewp
    clairewp Posts: 152 Forumite
    hi all following on from my previous thread,i have put joint beef in slow cooker with little water, set on medium how long should i give it
    ty claire
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya :)

You'll find beef joints listed here...

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    hello!
    (my first post!!!)
    I often do beef in my slow cooker, (large aldi own)
    i buy a piece of brisket (about 1 kilo) and put it in the slow cooker on hot with a sliced onion, half a cup of hot water and a teaspoonful of english mustard. then i put the lid on and walk away and leave it!!! I put it on early morn (well, 9 am) and put it on low for the last hour or so, to eat at around 5-6pm.
    i also have a fat strainer jug that seperates the fat from the meat juices for making my own gravy, to which i add some gravy granules and thicken in a pan on the hob.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's usually a good idea to put just a little water in - put your joint in first and then add water until it's 5-10 mm (¼ - ½ inch) deep.

This water is what what creates the seal around the lid and, once the joint is done, makes an excellent gravy.

You can put a small upturned saucer or small dish in the base and sit the beef on that if you like.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    jenhug wrote: »
    hello!
    (my first post!!!)
    ......i also have a fat strainer jug that seperates the fat from the meat juices for making my own gravy.....

Where did you get this from? I've been looking everywhere for one of those?

Maybe I could get one of kids to get me one for Mother's Day - would be about the most useful thing if they could. Better than more smellies or choccies (still got (Thornton's :eek: ) choccies from Christmas!).
  • wayne
    wayne Posts: 317 Forumite
    hi,i have a joint of beef i,d like to do over night in our slow cooker.was wondering do i have to totally cover it with water or do i just put water in to half way up the beef?all so do i just use water or can i add some oxoes aswell?:confused:
  • Hi Wayne,

I have just popped a piece of brisket in my sc but you don't need to cover it with water or liquid, the condensation will keep it moist and juicy. I have done chickens in mine and put no water at all in and its been fine. Just be careful if you put dried pulses or rice in as this will soak up all the moisture and leave it dry.

I sealed my meat and fried onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and celery and put it all in the sc with a cupful of hot water mixed in with 1 tspn flour (to thicken) tomato puree, s&p, mixed herbs, 1 tspn horseradish sauce, 1 tbspn vinegar, dash of worcestershire sauce and a sprinkle of sugar (to counteract the sharpness of the vinegar). I'll leave it for a good 4-5 hours as brisket takes a while to cook. Also extra mser due to it being reduced in Sainsbury's!

Hope you enjoy your dinner! :)
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya, :)

At the top of the Forum listing you'll find this thread:-

Quick questions on ANYTHING (see first post for Freezing, Reheating, Slow Cooker, +)

And in the very first post you'll find this link:-

slow cooker quick questions thread

And in there you'll find, among others...

Sorry if this has already been answered, how much...

You'll also find other questions about cooking beef in a slow cooker plus recipes hints and tips and a whole lot more, here:-

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport