Buying CD Albums

Where's the best place/website to buy CD albums.

The supermarkets - Tesco etc. concentrate mainly on the charts, with Tesco.com having a surprisingly sparse 'back catalogue'.

HMV, are probably the best for the range available in-store (maybe now the only national retail option!

Is Amazon the only option for older material? Mind you, with some second-hand values surprised there hasn't been more re-mastered releases!
I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What about one of the recycling sites - eg musicmagpie?. Depends on how pristine you want them.
  • Don't buy from WOWHD! Their "UK" website seems to be a front. If you buy from them the stuff comes from abroad, and can take weeks unless you pay for outrageously priced "expedited shipping". If the package comes too late you are expected to return the items to the United States, which will probably cost you more than the refund.

If you opt for free delivery they give you a tracking number which doesn't work, and change the delivery time after you've ordered from "8-15 days" to "10-20 business days or possibly up to 45 business days". Their "customer services" staff are rude and patronising.

The sad thing is they used to be good, fast, and cheap. I ordered 2 cds for Christmas which didn't come in time, I had to order from Amazon instead, and now I'm stuck with 2 cds I don't want as it would cost me more to send them back than they cost in the first place.

Avoid like the plague!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Look for independent local shops.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Music Magpie also have a range of shops: That's Entertainment.

I've grabbed a handful of Now CDs over the past couple of years-70% of them appear "as good as new".
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Martinslovechild
    Martinslovechild Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2017 at 11:58PM
    Depending on what kind of music you're looking to purchase, take a look at Norman Records, Piccadilly Records, Action Records, Banquet Records, Discogs, Rhythm Online.

I've used all of these at one time or another and can recommend them all.

eBay is always worth a look if you're after a particular back catalogue item. Discogs is also excellent for this, though you will of course pay higher prices for rarer items.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • Newusername1
    Newusername1 Posts: 167 Forumite
    MusicMagpie are the best, I go on ebay and buy from them, they sometimes do BOGOF's for about £1.50, all the old stuff, I have a PS3 I upload to and use ITunes, so effectively get it digital just use the CD's to upload from.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also {if you have the time} check out charity shops, it is surprising both what you can find and the prices
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    MusicMagpie are the best, I go on ebay and buy from them, they sometimes do BOGOF's for about £1.50, all the old stuff, I have a PS3 I upload to and use ITunes, so effectively get it digital just use the CD's to upload from.

Musicmagpie also sell via Poundland. I believe their used CDs go for a round pound, so a bit cheaper than their website. The problem is that the CDs in store aren't catalogued in any way so browsing is a real pain. Finding an unexpected gem is pretty rewarding, though.
  • Often when I go to a City centre and pop into HMV to see which CDs they have on the 2 for £x offer.
  • Bit old fashioned but I always get good CDs in charity shops haha!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure