Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 19th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 46Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    People edging out of roundabouts
    • 19th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    People edging out of roundabouts 19th Jun 19 at 7:56 PM
    It's probably the most annoying thing for me when driving. There is a medium-size roundabout where I live and which I have to cross pretty much everyday After I have entered the roundabout, there are always cars pretty much in my lane which forces me to either stop or go into the other line which can be an issue if there is another car there and behind me. It's even worst when people hesitate and end up blocking me and I have to stop.

It also is a pain when I am in the middle lane waiting to enter the roundabout. Because everyone wants to drive an SUV, there is always, and I mean ALWAYS, that person who is beside me but edges out so much I can't see the oncoming traffic. You would think the solution would be to simply follow the car besides me out but that doesn't work for two main reasons -

1 - A lot of these are SUV drivers have fancy cars with much better acceleration so can dodge danger better than me. If I follow the car out, there could be a very good chance a car could be coming which will hit me before I can get away.

2 - They can pull out really dangerously and (as I witness directly myself when going round a roundabout) suddenly stop because they can't beat the traffic and leave me exposed to be hit.

I have lived in this area for just over 3 years and have witnessed 4 accidents myself. Just imagine how many more must happen.
Page 1
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 19th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 2,337 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    Solutions:
    - join the right-hand lane approaching the roundabout, and go all the way around the roundabout to get back the exit you want
    - buy a faster car
    - buy a motorcycle
    - buy an SUV so you can see through the window of the SUV next you
    - take a different route that avoids the roundabout entirely
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 19th Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    We live in an over-crowded country; c'est la vie.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th Jun 19, 8:57 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:57 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 8:57 PM
    What car you got?

Mine is a 1L and is like !!!! off a shovel on roundabouts, junctions and lights, much to the surprise of most other drivers in BMWs, Audi's, 4x4s
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 19th Jun 19, 10:35 PM
    • 4,046 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:35 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:35 PM
    We live in an over-crowded country; c'est la vie.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Yeah, itís packed. Almost 6% of the land is built on. The other day a friend from overseas visited and when he landed, someone got pushed off the end of Southend pier.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 19th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 4,126 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    Yeah, itís packed. Almost 6% of the land is built on. The other day a friend from overseas visited and when he landed, someone got pushed off the end of Southend pier.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    You should see it round here when the flight from Cardiff lands at Valley - bodies piling into the sea all round the island!
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 20th Jun 19, 9:25 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:25 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:25 AM
    I've encountered this locally. There's a roundabout and from my approach, has a left lane for taking the first exit, a middle lane for carrying on straight, and a right lane for taking the third exit.

Buses will use the third lane and edge out. I'm in the middle lane. If the bus edges out, I can't see if there's oncoming traffic. I can either edge out further than the bus, wait until the bus pulls out and then I can see, or pull out alongside the bus. I normally take the last option but I've seen and encountered other drivers who edge out more and more. Yet, if they were all stopped in the correct position, following the curve of the roundabout, they'd all be able to see quite clearly.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    • 3,776 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    Yet another roundabout question. You'd think they were a new invention.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 20th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Supersonos
    • 20th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    Yet another roundabout question. You'd think they were a new invention.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    The OP didn't ask a question, they made a statement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,952Users online

Martin's Twitter