Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    • 1,406Posts
    • 2,335Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Who's liability?
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    Who's liability? 19th Jun 19 at 10:46 AM
    Cat runs into the road in front of my car this morning. Luckily it went under the car and not the wheels so no harm done.

Turns out that it's going to be made law that running over an out of control cat a "reportable" incident..... coz the police obviously have nothing better to do.

Anyway my point is.....Is this the first step in making motorists liable for vets bills? Also what liability will owners have for their out of control pets?
Page 1
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 19th Jun 19, 10:50 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:50 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:50 AM
    Does that mean the owner will also be responsible for them !!!!!!!! in other people's gardens?
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 19th Jun 19, 10:51 AM
    • 12,030 Posts
    • 6,793 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:51 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:51 AM
    Cat runs into the road in front of my car this morning. Luckily it went under the car and not the wheels so no harm done.

Turns out that it's going to be made law that running over an out of control cat a "reportable" incident..... coz the police obviously have nothing better to do.

Anyway my point is.....Is this the first step in making motorists liable for vets bills? Also what liability will owners have for their out of control pets?
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    And do you have a source for this?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 32,338 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    Its on a long line of private members bills still waiting to be heard
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    And do you have a source for this?
    Originally posted by DUTR
    There's lots of stuff on google.....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/cat-run-over-law-hit-15978253.amp
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 19th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    The fact the headline says could somewhat undermines your op.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Jun 19, 11:07 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:07 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:07 AM
    Ok a misuse of words but the intention is there.

Also worth noting a number of cat owners have tried? to sue motorists for vets bills.
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 19-06-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 19th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    Need to prove the owner was negligent if you want to get into a liability blame game. Cats are free-roamers and always will be I would guess, dogs are a bit different.

If someone ran over my dog or cat and it costs me 3,000 in vet bills, I doubt I would go after the driver as I wouldn't be able to prove they were negligent....dog/cat cam maybe - I here a Dragon's Den pitch going on!
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 19th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    Thanks.....it all gets a bit fuzzy when you're dealing with cats. Would a motorist have a claim against a cat owner for things like cleaning a car? (I'll leave that to your imagination!)
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 2,660 Thanks
    Car 54
    Ok a misuse of words but the intention is there.

Also worth noting a number of cat owners have tried? to sue motorists for vets bills.
    "The intention is there ..."

The intention of one backbench MP and a number of his misguided supporters. Its chances of becoming law are about the same as those of my winning the lottery.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th Jun 19, 1:23 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Many cat 'owners' have signed a petition to seek a change in the law that any driver who runs over a cat notifies the police, as they already have to with dogs, because they then find out their cat has been injured/killed rather than thinking they have walked off into another home or been catnapped.

I know people not into cats / keeping animals don't care and don't see why it should be a law but for those people who do means they have closure and not keep looking.

From my point of view I would have found out a few days earlier my cat had been run over and killed instead of keep looking for him; instead it was the neighbours who asked me a few days after he went missing if I knew what to do with a dead cat they had, not theirs and they had seen it deliberately run over.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    • 23,357 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Turns out that it's going to be made law that running over an out of control cat a "reportable" incident...
    No, it isn't.

There's a private members bill to introduce such a law - it's nearly a year since it had its first reading, and it's stalled there, because there's zero parliamentary will to schedule any time for it. Which is exactly what happens to the vast majority of PMBs, if they don't get Choped.
    https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/cats.html

Cats are simply viewed very differently by the law to dogs, because the law recognises that humans can be in control of dogs, but cannot be in control of cats. That ain't going to change.
    https://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/block/EG13_Cats_and_the_law.pdf
    Last edited by AdrianC; 19-06-2019 at 3:05 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Jun 19, 3:05 PM
    • 7,288 Posts
    • 7,164 Thanks
    DoaM
    and they had seen it deliberately run over.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    That can be proven?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 2,660 Thanks
    Car 54
    No, it isn't
    Cats are simply viewed very differently by the law to dogs, because the law recognises that humans can be in control of dogs, but cannot be in control of cats. That ain't going to change.
    https://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/block/EG13_Cats_and_the_law.pdf
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Also, it seems clear that the law was originally designed (early 20th Century) to protect valuable livestock (cattle, sheep, pig, goat) and working animals (horse, !!!, mule, dog).

Non-working pet dogs, horses etc. are essentially covered as a by-product.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Jun 19, 3:39 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Much as I love cats, and I try to avoid killing any animals in the road, making killing a cat reportable would be a ridiculous waste of Police resources.

Maybe the RSPCA could set up an online database for voluntary reporting.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 19th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Much as I love cats, and I try to avoid killing any animals in the road, making killing a cat reportable would be a ridiculous waste of Police resources.

Maybe the RSPCA could set up an online database for voluntary reporting.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Just get a friend to post the details on the local Facebook "community watch" group. The owner will soon find out.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 19th Jun 19, 4:54 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angrycrow
    If the owner has been responsible and chipped the cat and then kept the details upto date all it takes is someone taking the cat to a vet to get notification to the owner. All part of being a responsible pet owner.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Jun 19, 5:51 PM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 32,338 Thanks
    suki1964
    "The intention is there ..."

The intention of one backbench MP and a number of his misguided supporters. Its chances of becoming law are about the same as those of my winning the lottery.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Precisely because then the ruling that cats can not be owned will have to be over ruled

Maybe owned is the wrong word, but its written in law that cats are free to roam, ie, owners are not responsible for where they end up
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 2,660 Thanks
    Car 54
    [QUOTE=suki1964;75945085
    Maybe owned is the wrong word, but its written in law that cats are free to roam, ie, owners are not responsible for where they end up[/QUOTE]
    The Cats' Protection League say otherwise.

"A cat that is lost or has strayed is generally regarded as the property of the original owner, according to animal charity Cats Protection.

Cats Protection also says that it is a commonly-held view that cats have a right to roam wherever they wish. This view is largely based upon the fact that certain duties imposed upon the owners of dogs and livestock to keep their animals under control do not apply to cat owners.

The law in these respects recognised that, by their nature, cats are less likely than some other animals to cause injury to people or damage to property.

However, cat owners do have a general duty under law to take reasonable care to ensure that their cat does not cause injury to people or damage to property."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9968640/How-the-law-views-cats.html
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 19th Jun 19, 10:38 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Ergates
    Anyway my point is.....Is this the first step in making motorists liable for vets bills?
    That's never happened with dogs, so why would it with cats?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,341Posts Today

7,244Users online

Martin's Twitter