Swapped Sky Q for Now TV

Earlier this year, I was paying £65 (ish) a month for Sky TV:
  • Sky Q
  • Sky Q Multiscreen
  • Movies
  • Entertainment + Box Sets

In February, I decided to bite the bullet and get rid, after looking at cheaper alternatives so gave my notice to end the services in March.

I looked at Now TV, with Entertainment and Movie passes, it would cover 95% of what I watched content wise.

I signed up to the Now TV 6 month bundle of entertainment and movies for around £50, less than my monthly price with Sky. I did have to buy a few now tv boxes, which I purchased through ebay / facebook at a cheaper price rather than new from Now TV, which had an initial cost.

I am now 2 months in and I am really happy with the decision that I made. There is a disadvantage over Sky Q, in that it is not as user friendly. As there is no record, I use catchup instead, by going to the apps. These apps are much more difficult to use than Sky Q, such as the ITV Hub if I want to watch Coronation Street, for example, it is just not as straight forward to find things.

But, the advantages, mainly the financial savings vastly outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like everything in this life you get what you pay for. Now TV is cheap, there is limited timeshift functionality on it (30 mins IIRC) and everything is based around catchup and streaming.

The apps will work differently on it than they do on Sky/Sky Q, that's because on that platform they go out of their way to integrate it into the interface, whereas NowTV doesn't, its just a collection of apps, its no different to how it would work on your mobile phone.
  • You. Lukeawaya get a Freeview recorder for the likes of Corrie for all your series links and Nowtv for the paid for channels.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You. Lukeawaya get a Freeview recorder for the likes of Corrie for all your series links and Nowtv for the paid for channels.

I got my BT Youview box from eBay for £30 and cancelled everything. Saved a fortune and if I want record something it's easy to do. It also has the now tv app on it too.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got my BT Youview box from eBay for £30 and cancelled everything. Saved a fortune and if I want record something it's easy to do. It also has the now tv app on it too.

That sounds interesting! I've still got an old BT Youview box from when I had broadband etc with them; I've since left.

Are you saying that it isn't worthless? How does it work for NowTV? My special offer with Now TV from 8 months ago (pretty much entirely for Sports) is expiring in a few days. I wasn't planning to do much about it until footie starts in August but.....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    schiff wrote: »
    That sounds interesting! I've still got an old BT Youview box from when I had broadband etc with them; I've since left.

Are you saying that it isn't worthless? How does it work for NowTV? My special offer with Now TV from 8 months ago (pretty much entirely for Sports) is expiring in a few days. I wasn't planning to do much about it until footie starts in August but.....

It's just got the App on it similar to iPlayer or ITV Hub, you sign in with your NowTV credentials but you still need to pay for the service.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I thought the BT YouView box NowTV app was just for movies but not for Entertainment or have they changed that recently?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd heard that the Now TV app on Youview is supposed to be upgraded this year some time. Last time I used it on there, it was just movies, but I usually use the app on my TV, so could be different now (been a few months).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure