Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tim_L
    • By Tim_L 7th Feb 05, 6:43 AM
    • 3,399Posts
    • 3,233Thanks
    Tim_L
    Car Radio Unlocking
    • 7th Feb 05, 6:43 AM
    Car Radio Unlocking 7th Feb 05 at 6:43 AM
    Highly specific this one, but when you need it it can save a lot of money.

Following a repair for accident damage my radio was left locked. On contacting the dealer I bought the car from I was told that they had no record of the radio code and that it would cost £25 plus VAT to get it for me (nice little earner for them this one, which I refused to pay on principle!).

Anyway I went radioless for a few months, but had a trip to do and wanted the radio. So after a bit of a search yesterday, I found:

http://www.dekodes.com/

This allows you to enter your radio serial number and for a CC payment of £5.88 (this was for a Blaupunkt radio) it will immediately tell you the code. Worked very well indeed. You need to register and provide a 'company name', though I just put in 'no company'.

The only problem I had was extracting the radio itself. In the end I found some help using a google search, but essentially there are 4 grub screws that I needed to extract using a tamper proof screwdriver bit (you can get a set of these at screwfix for £9.99, but probably an allen key would work). Removing these provides 4 holes into which you need to insert 4 small screwdrivers or similar (I used some wooden kebab sticks) whereupon you can pull the radio out by pulling carefully at the cassette slot.

Last edited by MSE Martin; 27-02-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Page 1
  • dave96
    • 7th Feb 05, 7:32 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 7:32 AM
    Most main dealers will give you this informaion for nothing. All you need to do is ask, have either the serial number of the radio, car registration number (and sometimes VIN).
  • Shinds
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:18 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:18 AM
    Most main dealers will give you this informaion for nothing. All you need to do is ask, have either the serial number of the radio, car registration number (and sometimes VIN).
    by dave96

This is so not true. From my experience Main Dealers will charge for this
    • tin
    • By tin 7th Feb 05, 10:05 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    tin
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:05 AM
    Very true. In fact my local ford dealer told me a number that was written on the radio was the code and locked it up. Then said it would cost 300 for a new one, no other way around it.

An independent got me the original code for 20.
  • heathen
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:20 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:20 AM
    nice find tim,maybe a useful site for the future,dealers do tend to charge to get you your code unless ur lucky
  • dave96
    • 7th Feb 05, 11:07 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 11:07 AM
    This is so not true. From my experience Main Dealers will charge for this
    by Shinds
    Renault have NEVER charged me for this, and I have had to replace two radios in the last year (retreived from car breakers).
    Volvo never charged me.
    So, in my experience, "main dealers will give you this informaion for nothing"
  • Shinds
    • 7th Feb 05, 2:18 PM
    • 7th Feb 05, 2:18 PM
    Dave u have been lucky

because as written above - Ford charge and I know Vauxhall also charge.
    • rde
    • By rde 7th Feb 05, 4:12 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    rde
    • 7th Feb 05, 4:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 05, 4:12 PM
    Didn't I hear somewhere if you put the radio in the freezer, it erases the code anyway?

I accept no responsibility for any consequences of any knackered radios or frost bites for the above statement!
  • dave96
    • 7th Feb 05, 6:05 PM
    • 7th Feb 05, 6:05 PM
    Dave u have been lucky

by Shinds
    Thats disgusting! It should be on the main dealer computer system. Less than a minute to find. How they can charge for that is beyond me.
    • Tim_L
    • By Tim_L 7th Feb 05, 6:25 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    Tim_L
    The Vauxhall dealer involved wanted to charge me 25 plus VAT because they claimed to have no record of the number (it was a 2nd hand car) from the previous owner. In my opinion this is profiteering pure and simple, as they know that people won't go without radios for long.
  • andrew502
    There seem to be loads of people on ebay selling PC programs that allow you to retrieve the codes:
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/unlock-radios

If it its that easy to get the codes it makes the whole security system a bit of a joke!
  • burbs
    There seem to be loads of people on ebay selling PC programs that allow you to retrieve the codes:
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/unlock-radios

If it its that easy to get the codes it makes the whole security system a bit of a joke!
    by andrew502
    It really is as easy as that. Any stereo can be unlocked in seconds using the PC codes, all you need is the stereo make, model and serial number and out pops your code. Very much the same as using Crux to unlock mobiles, the program is the same for stereos. No stereo cannot be unlocked, even stereos that need a key fob to unlock them. if you lose the key fob dealers like to tell you it will cost you a lot of money to buy a new fob, this is rubbish, you do not need the key fob at all.

its all just a way of making more money out of us really aint it
    • georgesky01
    • By georgesky01 7th Feb 05, 10:57 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    georgesky01
    anyone know what the programe is called
  • royalsteve
    Dave u have been lucky

by Shinds

Peugeot charge too...though its 15......inc vat....I asked why does it cost anything....they said its for their systems to store..i said thats bulll...i work in computers and to store every code would cost peanuts....the cheapest celeron pc and a 10gb hard drive would suffice!
    Last edited by royalsteve; 07-02-2005 at 11:11 PM.
    Stevie Coppell's record breaking blue and white royal army - championship winners 2005-6
    • rakeshtak
    • By rakeshtak 7th Feb 05, 11:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    rakeshtak
    1 local Peugeot sub-dealer also tried to charge me, they asked that i take the car to them as they have to remove the radio. i phoned the main dealer saying exactly the same 'im requesting an unlock code' , i gave them the reg, they gave me the code for no cost.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • skiddy2k
    what it seems like, is that, different dealers, are telling you different things.

for example, one vauxhall dealer is saying they charge to give you the codes, and e.g. if you ring up a couple of OTHER vauxhall dealers, they may give you the code.
    from experience, anytime i want some information on my volvo, i always ring a few dealerships up and ask them the same thing. quite often, i get totally different anwsers!
  • allhourrs
    can you do vauxhall ,please
  • BritBrat
    'll tell you it for free! Just need serial number and model of stereo
    by Itimmo440
    Serial N0: GM0400V1516937

Model: Vauxhall car 400 (Think it's same as a Phillips)

Thank's
    Last edited by BritBrat; 08-02-2005 at 10:56 AM.
  • Shinds
    You are the man!

That's what need on here - More Moneysaving spirit
    • securityman
    • By securityman 8th Feb 05, 12:19 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    securityman
    Serial N0: GM0400V1516937

Model: Vauxhall car 400 (Think it's same as a Phillips)

Thank's
    by BritBrat

1755 this might help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,370Users online

Martin's Twitter