Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ally1d wrote: »
    Hi all, currently trying to reclaim my charges from natwest via hardship route, sent in my income/expenditure form and recieved letter back to call them. they have suggested that i take on a financial assisstance plan of theres which will reduce payments on loan i hold with them for now but is only a short term scheme (and doesn't get me my money back) my existing loan is about the same as i feel i am owed in charges. does thi seem that they accept that i am in financial hardship and just a ploy to delay me? and should i take it further to the ombudsman? i am not currently in arrears on natwest loan..... but capital one cc and santander current account are slipping out of my control

thanks in advance.....

I think you fail to understand what the bank are obligated to do.

They are not obligated to refund you even 1p in their charges (assuming they were correctly applied), even if you are in financial hardship.

Their only obligation is to treat your complaint quickly and sympathetically, and when considering your financial difficulties, sympathetically and positively.

I suggest you look at the financial hardship online resources sticky thread to help you better understand whether you are indeed in financial hardship.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • noo_noo_5
    Options
    Hi There,

I have a situation with nationwide where I had a debt consisting ONLY of bank charges, I was on Incapacity benefit followed by JSA at the time and tried complaining directly to them and asking for them to wipe the charges under the hardship route, but they were not communicative AT ALL and I received no responses. This was a few years ago now and they have now sold my "debt" to a collection agency. Does anyone know if I can still try to reclaim the charges? I am happy for it to be used to wipe off the "debt" they say I owe.
  • Anthony39
    Options
    Having sat back and watched the cases of misold ppi and bank charge claims i have recently submitted a claim to first direct for misold ppi. I am currently waiting for a desicion from them on this, having been told they have until the end of August to deal with the claim. What i would like to know now is weather or not i may be able to also claim back overdrawn charges on my current account going back 8 years for times i was in hardship due to unemployment. I have read the guide money saving expert has posted but am unsure if as of today 13/07/2011 its still possible to try and re-claim the fees i was charged ?
  • ally1d
    ally1d Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Anthony39 wrote: »
    Having sat back and watched the cases of misold ppi and bank charge claims i have recently submitted a claim to first direct for misold ppi. I am currently waiting for a desicion from them on this, having been told they have until the end of August to deal with the claim. What i would like to know now is weather or not i may be able to also claim back overdrawn charges on my current account going back 8 years for times i was in hardship due to unemployment. I have read the guide money saving expert has posted but am unsure if as of today 13/07/2011 its still possible to try and re-claim the fees i was charged ?

i think you can only try and reclaim bank charges using the hardship rule if you still classify ( and can prove) that you are still in hardship but i think if you look at the criteria for that most people would fall into that bracket
  • maggie211
    Options
    Hi
    I would like to get advice from you, what i should do about the situation im in.
    2 yearys ago i moved from UK i lived there for 4,5 years, i had my bank account in HSBC Bank. When i moved abroad i didn't close my account because i still have money in there to apy my mobile phone bills and i needed to keeep my account open to get deposit back from the estate agent for my house. After 6 months somehow i had £9.00 overdraft and the bank charged me £70 for it then they were charging more and more and because of this charges they made bigger overdraft. i called to HSBC to explain this, and pay this off(i didn't want to have problems) and i asked for my international account numbers to make transfer from my spanish account and then i wanted to close my account there. she said that to get this number i have to go to the bank myself the same to close my account, which was impossible because i was 7 months pregnant... She !!!!ed me off i wanted to pay money i owed and she didn't want to help me. I left it like it was then. Yesterday,for the correspondence address in UK came letter from Debt collectors, they passed my case to the Wescot credit services.I can't contact this company form abroad they dont have special number. Plaese give me advice what i should do now? i m not going back to UK but also i dont want to have any problems with that. i don't have any income, or maternity i m at home with my baby, so it will be difficult to pay it(i m not sure how much they asking me to pay)please help me...
    Regards Maggie
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2011 at 1:21PM
    Options
    maggie211 wrote: »
    Hi
    I would like to get advice from you, what i should do about the situation im in.
    2 yearys ago i moved from UK i lived there for 4,5 years, i had my bank account in HSBC Bank. When i moved abroad i didn't close my account because i still have money in there to apy my mobile phone bills and i needed to keeep my account open to get deposit back from the estate agent for my house. After 6 months somehow i had £9.00 overdraft and the bank charged me £70 for it then they were charging more and more and because of this charges they made bigger overdraft. i called to HSBC to explain this, and pay this off(i didn't want to have problems) and i asked for my international account numbers to make transfer from my spanish account and then i wanted to close my account there. she said that to get this number i have to go to the bank myself the same to close my account, which was impossible because i was 7 months pregnant... She !!!!ed me off i wanted to pay money i owed and she didn't want to help me. I left it like it was then. Yesterday,for the correspondence address in UK came letter from Debt collectors, they passed my case to the Wescot credit services.I can't contact this company form abroad they dont have special number. Plaese give me advice what i should do now? i m not going back to UK but also i dont want to have any problems with that. i don't have any income, or maternity i m at home with my baby, so it will be difficult to pay it(i m not sure how much they asking me to pay)please help me...
    Regards Maggie

Your international bank account number is shown on the top RHS of you statements :)

Don't ignore your debts - they won't disappear even if you try to ;)
    There are alternative contact forms on their website (email, snailmail, etc)
    There's also geographic phone number options on saynoto0870.com for this company ;)
    You can even pay them online
    https://www.paywescot.co.uk/payment/form-new.cgi
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • maggie211
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the information i ve already called them, the money i owed wasn't worth problems. thank you once again :-)
  • Stevos46
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this Forum,

After failing with the FOS I have used the MSE 'going to court' template for new bank charge claims, personalised it and submitted it on the moneyclaim court website. I have also sent my particulars of claim to Barclays. I want to claim my charges back from 2005 - 2008.

Is there anyone out there who has gone down the court route who can give me any advice or relay their experiences in going to court post Nov 2009 ruling? Most of the arguments I have read so far relate to financial hardship. If anyone has any advice on the actual points of law beyond hardship that would be great. I have actually suffered hardship; job seekers allowance for seven months and benefit payments being swallowed by the bank. No money for bills (except food) for my family of five. Because I didn't tell Barclays at the time the FOS turned me down.

I am expecting a 'strike out' type application from Barclays and have a response prepaired for that. I've also heard that some banks have attempted to get the case out of small claims so that people like me can be scared off.

Any advice welcome!:cool:
  • m4rkd4vies
    Options
    Hi

I'm new to the site and I am after some advice. I recently followed the instructions on this site to claim back bank charges from my Lloyds TSB and HSBC bank accounts for charges applied over the past 6 years.
    Charges for my Lloyds TSB account came to a total of £4337 and today I received a response after my first letter stating they would repay £480 of the charges and all pending charges would be waived to help with my financial hardship.
    My account with them is currently in collections and I owe them a lot more than they are offering to refund. They also state in the letter that I can speak to their collections department to come to some arrangement but as far as the charges go, they state that I should take this as their 'Final' reply. They have included an income and expenditure form for me to send back and have advised me to contact FOS if I am not happy with this response. (Which makes me feel like they are confident they would win).

I know I probably seem greedy but I feel I could/should get more back than what they are offering and I am only looking to claim this money back to clear my debt with them!

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Has anyone tried negotiating with the Lloyds TSB before?
    Is it possible?

Thanks for your help, and a massive thank you to Martin and everyone at Money Saving Expert for providing all the info and templates on this site.:beer: Cheers!!

Mark
  • king7henrik
    Options
    how do i create a thread
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills